Apple Personal Pickup (and ordering) - PASS/FAIL: Opinions Please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidmpatterson, Oct 2, 2012.

1. davidmpatterson macrumors newbie

Hi all,

How have your results been with the Personal Pickup program? For the last (almost?) week, I've tried (at various times) to do the "Personal Pickup" thing, but it seems like there is absolutely no stock available (in all of California??). It seems as if I'm out of luck, (maybe ordering/shipping and waiting the 3-4(+) weeks(?) is my only option).

I am looking for an iPhone 5, Black, 64GB, (as is probably everyone else?)...

What has been your experiences - good, bad, ugly?

Overall, my results are: FAIL. Sorry Apple, I know ya mean well, but...

2. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

where in socal? in the past week I've gotten:
    16gb white x1
    16gb black x1
    32gb white x1
    64gb white x1
    64gb black x2

*carrier availability varies, mine were all AT&T

keys to success:
    -desired items need to already be in cart prior to 10pm
    -Express Checkout already set
    -about 5 min prior to 10pm, refreshing in-store availability
    -you gotta decide beforehand how far you're willing to go, because stocks will disappear in a matter of seconds if you hesitate
    -after confirming availability, remove the rest, and proceed with purchase

3. PN4 macrumors member

PASS! I got mine on the 2nd night I tried, I see stock in lots of stores every night.

4. zman98 macrumors member

Mixed for me. I was able to get my white 32GB the first time I tried. I haven't had success getting 2 black 32GB for my family. I did see some 64GB last night but I'm gonna wait for the 32 to show up.

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

FAIL

Had one in App Store Cart yesterday and it would not let me log in to check out. "Loading" for 30 seconds then timed out. Over and over until I lost the stock. Website was fine.

6. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen one store with stock the last three nights. Tried Verizon black 32 gb. I even tried other cities just to see if anyone had stock, but didn't try them till after 10:05 so could have been all snatched up by then. I don't get it tho, I'd like to see one store any store have a Verizon iPhone. In Michigan by the way, no luck at other stores. Called 15 radioshacks and walmarts yesterday too.

7. themcfly macrumors regular

In Italy (and europe in general) the situation is even worse:

https://reserve.apple.com/GB/en_GB/reserve/iPhone

You can only book a reservation for the phone you want, in a store near you, but you don't get availability before the process.

Also, they only email you if the phone is available (before 9.00pm the same day, you if don't receive anything you can try the next day). So you are hoping all day to receive the damn email that never comes... 3 days now.

8. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Regarding your keys to success, how do you refresh in-store availability on apple store app? Once I check and it says unavailable I have to close out the app in order to check again. Are you doing it on a computer, iPad, or iPhone? Tried on my iPad but when the locate comes up how do u refresh other then x'ing out popup and doing again.

Normally is there stock prior to 10 pm, like 9:55? I am just trying to get as many tips from the people who were successful. Since I haven't even seen one store with stock I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

9. thebyr macrumors newbie

Pass

I first starting trying last Thursday night for a Black 16gb Sprint model. Decided to just place an order on the site after failing Friday night. Cancelled my order Sunday morning, found 3 the next state over (I'm in Michigan - they were in Ohio). Drove to the closest - Cleveland for pickup the next morning.
    I did have a little hiccup with a glitch in the sprint/apple system that made my pickup take 3 hours. But in the end, I have my phone and got a $50 apple gift card for my trouble. Much better than waiting until the October 31st shipping date I was quoted on the apple site.

10. apierrec, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

apierrec macrumors 6502

PASS

64 GB Black Verizon

Got what I needed/wanted on 3rd attempt but I had to drive a little bit for pick-up but it was a nice side trip as I've always wanted to go to that area where Apple Store is located.

It's really totally up to you how much & soon you want one combine with patience, coolness :D (stay cool, don't stress too much especially if you do not have the luxury of having extra free time) and luck.

First Attempt: Could've gotten it if am that willing
    Second Attempt: Unavailable in all stores within up thru 500 miles
    Third Attempt: Was ready to do a semi -impromptu road trip (good thing it's just hundred miles drive)

Best of luck to everyone trying!

11. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It's all luck really. I was able to hit it first try upgrading mine. Then when I tried another one a few nights later, nothing.

I did mine on a Friday night, and picked up Saturday. The other time I tried was mid-week. May having something to do with that? Not sure when Apple stores get their deliveries?

12. Smin macrumors newbie

I got a second phone on the first night they turned this feature on. Started trying at 10pm with no luck (showed the stores near me having no inventory), happen to just try it again before bed at 11pm and it showed one store as being available. Got a 16GB Black ATT model.

13. eaglefox12 macrumors member

PASS
    I was able to reserve on the first night. Got it the next day, but had to stand in line.However, 15 mins later, I walked away with one :)... they also gave me a macro and nano sim each free, coz I wanted to switch my old 4s with my gf(she didn't mind)

14. kjay80 macrumors regular

Does personal pickup start online at 10:00ET or PT?

15. nolegirl01 macrumors regular

PASS/FAIL

I got a 16gb black att last Tuesday for my husband at the Tampa store by my house, picked it up the next day...I have been trying every night since last Wednesday to get a white 32gb for me and haven't seen any stock at all anywhere until last night. So I'm happy I got our phones but kind of annoyed there were none in stock at all for a whole week and I know some people in other cities who have been trying every night since this reservation opened and haven't seen any stock at all...I know they are in high demand but it is frustrating...

16. zman98 macrumors member

I think it is 10:00 local time (at least that is how it has worked for me in Texas).

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

zman is right. It is 10:00 pm in your local time zone.

18. Alien987 macrumors newbie

PASS. I got mine at first try last week in Maryland, AT&T 32GB White, it came in stock around 10:05pm EST and I immediately ordered.

19. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

FAIL: Looking for a 32GB Black AT&T. The first night I found one about 40 miles away, but waited too long to buy. Ever since, I can't find one anywhere around me...

20. bt2184 macrumors member

I walked into the Apple store on Sunday afternoon not expecting them to have any stock. They actually had a few Sprint phones available, however my upgrade was 1 day away and was told I had to wait. Now there is no stock within 1000 miles.

21. miguelq macrumors regular

From anyone that has ordered one and received pickup confirmation; does the store open early for pickups or just regular hours?

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I thought this was about the actual PICKUP process. I find that part is excellent.

As to ordering, I got through on second night. Got through today and picked up two cables. Slick process.

23. djstile macrumors regular

Has anyone had success (or is it even possible) to reserve the other color to exchange an iphone 5? I have a black on Verizon and might want to exchange for a white.