Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has picked up a new untitled documentary presented by Oprah Winfrey and created by Oscar-nominated filmmakers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The film will explore alleged sexual misconduct in the music industry, following a former music executive who struggles with whether or not to go public with her story of assault and abuse by a notable music industry executive.

applemusicindustrydocumentary-800x451.jpg

It's described as an examination of race, gender, class, and the toll that assaults take on victims and society.

Dick and Ziering have previously created several other documentaries, including "The Hunting Ground," exposing sexual assault on college campuses and "The Bleeding Edge," an exposé on the medical device industry.

There's no word on what the film will be called, but it's set to be released next year. Oprah Winfrey is serving as an executive producer, along with Terry Wood, Dan Cogan, Regina K. Scully, and others.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Picks Up New Documentary Focusing on Sexual Misconduct in the Music Industry

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Sigh, why is apple only interested in social commentary? Would much rather see a variety of content on Apple TV+ than another social justice commentary. Make a documentary for everyone like a Planet Earth like show, our something else that’s not so “woke”

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Sigh, why is apple only interested in social commentary? Would much rather see a variety of content on Apple TV+ than another social justice commentary. Make a documentary for everyone like a Planet Earth like show, our something else that’s not so “woke”
To distract from their Chinese bedmates.

Reactions: V_Man, !!! and rjp1

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Apple continuing to keep things light, I see. I have no problem with them having shows that revolve around social justice and other topics that piss off the knuckle draggers, but throw us some comedies too. Or a mindless action adventure movie/series. I'm sure they have some of that in the works, but so far everything is so heavy, even Dickinson, which I loved. Regardless, the service is free for me for a year, so it kinda feels dumb complaining.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
TV+ will fail because there is nothing else to watch besides original programming. All the other streaming platforms have movies, tv shows from broadcast networks on top of original programming.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
This seems more appropriate for a “60 Minutes” type of news piece for some reason. I guess I think of documentaries more for subjects that fascinate.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
A documentary about working conditions in China would be nice.

There have been many of those to date. Apple TV+ just started.
[automerge]1575411224[/automerge]
Oh you mean people having regrets years later and making up claims to get attention and ruin other’s lives.

Seriously?

I hope for your sake someone you know and love never has one of these “regrets”
[automerge]1575411294[/automerge]
TV+ will fail because there is nothing else to watch besides original programming. All the other streaming platforms have movies, tv shows from broadcast networks on top of original programming.

All of them? You might want to do research before making such a blanket statement.

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
They don't really even regret it, I think. They just like the social media attention and the potential media circus.

yes, women just love being taken advantaged of. But if this happens to your daughter, wife or sister.... please look them in the eyes and say “I don’t think you have regrets this happened”

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
So how much money have Apple poured into AppleTV+, and who are really the target audience considering the contents are tend to be western-centric and only available in select markets?

Imagine if Apple put the money into sprucing up iCloud instead, the service that can be enjoyed by all Apple users around the world. Just imagine.

Sigh

Reactions: martyjmclean

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Uh.. doesn’t Planet Earth include statements about how humans are destroying many ecosystems? That’s a pretty controversial claim here at MacRumors.

Reactions: martyjmclean

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Seriously?

I hope for your sake someone you know and love never has one of these “regrets”

Well thank you but I doubt it. There are great ways to mitigate actual potential problems by being responsible and no one close to me would ever make up a false accusation for attention.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
yes, women just love being taken advantaged of. But if this happens to your daughter, wife or sister.... please look them in the eyes and say “I don’t think you have regrets this happened”

If they were really sexually assaulted or raped, they would have not waited 30, 40 years before saying a word. Come on now. I won't blindly believe just anyone, especially when stuff like this continues to happen:
There are so many others I can cite here, but you get the point. Empathize with the victim but don't demonize the others until you have all the facts. It can and will ruin innocent lives.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
A rational person might want to ask why Apple has funded a star chamber mockumentary rather than encouraging this person to go through the court process to you know, pursue actual justice rather than a lynching.

Akso, why is a Oprah targeting the music industry when she knows a whole lot more about the entertainment industry, close friend of Mr Weinstein et al as she is/was. At least until all those icky stories came out.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.