Apple Plans to Start Reopening Retail Stores in First Half of April

sirghost

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
Oh, look. A 36 year old high school principal with no apparent pre-existing conditions died. But all the geniuses around here say we just need to identify “vulnerable” old people and quarantine them so the rest of us can go make more money for billionaires.

No one should have, and I have not seen any one say myself, that healthy young people where not going to die for, it at all.

The percentage of young healthy people dying from it are a whole heck of a lot less then those that are older and have underlying conditions, including smoking, and vaping.

As for the money, I wish I made billions, then I would not have to sit here and wonderhow to pay for food and rent and such, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
When people are quoting future numbers and possible numbers and not the actual numbers of today, those are guesses. Educated guesses, but guesses none the less.

The stretch I was referring to is the number of people being infected worldwide being 2 million world wide dying from this. I say it is a stretch as that is based on 2% of almost 8 billion people being in the world.
Well 2% of 8 billion is 160 million.

Note: I’m not saying that 8 billion people are going to get it or that 160 million are going to die. Just doing the math for you.

sirghost

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
Well 2% of 8 billion is 160 million.

Note: I’m not saying that 8 billion people are going to get it or that 160 million are going to die. Just doing the math for you.
And many people in the virology world have said the worst case numbers being pushed out by those doing simple math calculations are wrong.

Why are they wrong? Governments are intervening with travel restrictions, treatments, work on cures as well as attempts at containment.

The numbers are most likely going to be a lot less then 2 million, probably in the area of maybe a million folks if the current curves are correct and slowly starting to stop curing so steeply.

A good site that shows the curve is changing its steepness can be seen below.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
And many people in the virology world have said the worst case numbers being pushed out by those doing simple math calculations are wrong.

Why are they wrong? Governments are intervening with travel restrictions, treatments, work on cures as well as attempts at containment.

The numbers are most likely going to be a lot less then 2 million, probably in the area of maybe a million folks if the current curves are correct and slowly starting to stop curing so steeply.

A good site that shows the curve is changing its steepness can be seen below.

This is on a log scale. Where’s the flattening in the U.S.?

A992B17B-C324-474D-8EA5-49C80CBAB6D6.png

sirghost

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
This is on a log scale. Where’s the flattening in the U.S.?

View attachment 901370
I didn’t say flattening, I said starting to not read as steeply. And look at the orange line, which represents Italy and the lighter blue one is the U.K..

also if you go to the site I linked you can see New York in it is trending a lot less steeply.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
I didn’t say flattening, I said starting to not read as steeply. And look at the orange line, which represents Italy and the lighter blue one is the U.K..

also if you go to the site I linked you can see New York in it is trending a lot less steeply.
The orange line is China, not Italy.

The light blue line is Korea, not the U.K.

Both of those countries tested incredibly heavily and China literally locked people in their houses. Neither sent people back to work to make billionaires a few extra pennies on the stock market.

As for NY?

1585195533770.png

As for your website:

1585195613460.png

This is *LOG* scale. It’s a straight line on LOG scale. Do you understand that means that the cases in NY are increasing exponentially?

Reactions: Codpeace

sirghost

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014

Both of those countries tested incredibly heavily and China literally locked people in their houses. Neither sent people back to work to make billionaires a few extra pennies on the stock market.

As for NY?

View attachment 901372
I posted this above, but I am reposting below again for your benefit.

you can see clearly in this graph that the curve for at least New York is starting to bend less steeply, and New York is the biggestspot causing the US to be curving the way it was.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
well except there are no masks.
there was a story on CBC today a hospital administrator in New Jersey bought some masks on the black market - He went to a warehouse in New Jersey and they had pallets of on N95 masks - hospital gowns, hand sanitizer and other medical protection equipment. Never under estimate the power on greed in a crisis.
For those who think this is fake news 10,000 more known infections in the US in the last 24 hours.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
I posted this above, but I am reposting below again for your benefit.

you can see clearly in this graph that the curve for at least New York is starting to bend less steeply, and New York is the biggestspot causing the US to be curving the way it was.

Nope. Look at the post just before yours. It is a STRAIGHT LINE ON A LOG SCALE. The slope decreased vs. a 2 day period when it was slightly sharper, but it’s the same slope as it has had for mostly the entire time, which means it is increasing EXPONENTIALLY. Keep in mind that testing increased sharply a few days ago, which explains the bump for a couple days.

Now look at the NY *death* graph - that’s not dependent on the increase in testing, and shows what’s actually happening. The number of new deaths is doubling every few days in NY. Consistently. No change.

And now go back and Look at what is REALLY happening in Italy and the UK.

And then explain to me why it makes sense to lift the shelters-in-place, and why doing that wouldn’t result in millions of people of all ages being hospitalized, and a large chunk of them dying?

sirghost

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
Nope. Look at the post just before yours. It is a STRAIGHT LINE ON A LOG SCALE. The slope decreased vs. a 2 day period when it was slightly sharper, but it’s the same slope as it has had for mostly the entire time, which means it is increasing EXPONENTIALLY. Keep in mind that testing increased sharply a few days ago, which explains the bump for a couple days.

Now look at the NY *death* graph - that’s not dependent on the increase in testing, and shows what’s actually happening. The number of new deaths is doubling every few days in NY. Consistently. No change.

And now go back and Look at what is REALLY happening in Italy and the UK.

And then explain to me why it makes sense to lift the shelters-in-place, and why doing that wouldn’t result in millions of people of all ages being hospitalized, and a large chunk of them dying?
I was looking at the log scale and in mine!italy is not as sharp of a curve, the U.K. on the other hand you are right, it is not becoming less steep but please also remember, these numbers are for tests for, 2 to 5 days before today, as testing takes time to complete, and numbers will go up as more testing is being able to be done.

The curves we should be looking at, and I have failed to look until a few moments ago, are the deaths, not the infections as again, infections does not equal deaths.

Also notice the site I provid3d also tracks recovered cases as well.

The site below here, shows these stats with raw numbers including each new day what the changes where form the previous days numbers.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

If we had universal testing, we could actually make intelligent decisions. Without it, the only weapon we have is to quarantine.

Do realize that no one is going to listen to stupid people who want to have the “churches packed by Easter”. There was no federal stay at home, and there can be no federal back to work.

Intelligent leaders in our most populous states will make the proper decisions based on science. If that’s three weeks, six weeks, three months or six months, it’ll be what it’ll be. Like all natural disasters, we’ll pick up the pieces afterwards and get on with life.

Unfortunately, you’ve also got stupid leaders out there who still haven’t issued stay at home directives. By ignoring science, they’ve sealed their fate. By the time they realize they have a problem, it’ll be too late. Because science: incubation period, asymptomatic transmission, R0, exponential infection rates, etc.

The mistakes made today are paid with lives two months from now. Stupid people who just like to hear themselves talk will be ignored. Those who know what they’re talking about, like Dr. Fauchi, will be heeded.

sirghost

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
If we had universal testing, we could actually make intelligent decisions. Without it, the only weapon we have is to quarantine.

Do realize that no one is going to listen to stupid people who want to have the “churches packed by Easter”. There was no federal stay at home, and there can be no federal back to work.

Intelligent leaders in our most populace states will make the proper decisions based on science. If that’s three weeks, six weeks, three months or six months, it’ll be what it’ll be. Like all natural disasters, we’ll pick up the pieces afterwards and get on with life.

Unfortunately, you’ve also got stupid leaders out there who still haven’t issued stay at home directives. By ignoring science, they’ve sealed their fate. By the time they realize they have a problem, it’ll be too late. Because science: incubation period, asymptomatic transmission, R0, exponential infection rates, etc.

The mistakes made today are paid with lives two months from now. Stupid people who just like to hear themselves talk will be ignored. Those who know what they’re talking about, like Dr. Fauchi, will be heeded.
Again, this has zero to do withwanting more people to die of the virus, it is about putting peopleback to war so they don’t starve or get kicked out of there houses etc as the longer things are shut down, the harder it will be for people to pick up the pieces of not being able to feed themselves or get new housing, catch up on bills etc.

Food and housing right now are the biggest of people’s fears, thus why everyone is. Cleaning out the grocery stores.

Why can you not accept that this is not a zero sum game?

People have to weigh the pros and cons of such decisions

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Again, this has zero to do withwanting more people to die of the virus, it is about putting peopleback to war so they don’t starve or get kicked out of there houses etc as the longer things are shut down, the harder it will be for people to pick up the pieces of not being able to feed themselves or get new housing, catch up on bills etc.

Food and housing right now are the biggest of people’s fears, thus why everyone is. Cleaning out the grocery stores.

Like I said, nobody cares what stupid people think. Intelligent Americans will be guided by science, and the stupid ones are more likely to die. Darwinism at its finest.

The entire world is already in a recession, the US is no different. It’s probably going to take at least a couple years to dig out. But that’s what happens when you try to ignore science for two months. We’ll all be paying a price for that, for quite some time.

Reactions: Mw0103 and Codpeace

Neepman

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Oh, look. A 36 year old high school principal with no apparent pre-existing conditions died. But all the geniuses around here say we just need to identify “vulnerable” old people and quarantine them so the rest of us can go make more money for billionaires.

There are always going to be unlucky outliers in statistics and she looks like she's carrying a least 40 extra pounds that was not doing her system any favors.

• Disagree

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo

As for NY?

View attachment 901372

As for your website:

View attachment 901373

This is *LOG* scale. It’s a straight line on LOG scale. Do you understand that means that the cases in NY are increasing exponentially?
We also don't have police and militia in the streets here beating people and abducting them to keep them from going out in public.

Half of the problem with this virus is us. We disregard government orders to stay out of large groups and social distance as long as we can.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 601
Jul 12, 2008
Columbus, OH
blows my mind that some people are still so naive about the impact of CV.
There's no major impact, sorry. There aren't 1% of people dying either. There's 1% of people that are bad off enough to need to be tested dying, that's it. The vast majority will never even get tested when they get this because the symptoms are too minor. But keep buying what the media is pushing on you!
- - Post merged: - -

If this is a typical American attitude then ... you're doomed.
Like Apple, huh? 🤣

Some of your posts recently (compiled):

“Go to work. If you get sick you get sick. If anyone dies from this they’re ready to go. We need to thin the population anyway. A bunch of old people are dying...real breaking news. A few people have died, big deal. Just don’t screw up and delay the fall iPhone launch and I’m good.”

With most flus you infect 1.3 to 1.4 people. After 10 levels of infection are passed on you’ve infected between 14-29 people. With covid-19 each person infects 3 others. After the same 10 levels you’ve infected 59,000. About 15% go to hospital. You’ve sent over 8,000 people there. Assuming it stops at 10 levels. Which it won’t. And that’s just you. What does your healthcare look like now? What about non-covid health services?

It’s not just affecting the old and susceptible. But according to you they can just die. So long as you get your iPhone.
Yeah.. get me that iPhone 12.

• Disagree
Reactions: rogue0 and Cycom

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And paychecks and money people get is not needed here?

For crying out loud, it takes money to buy and grow food, it takes money for governments to help keep hospitals and what not open, money is necessary here as well.

Without a country working and making things etc the people in it can not afford things they need in order to live as well.

This is nota zero sum thing here whe it comes to fighting the virus or opening countries back up.

Playing this zero sum game like your statement makes it seem you are, is just as wrong as not having done anything to help with this virus.
The prime reason for government is to 'support the people'. The government should step up and 'support' the people who have no way to get money to feed themselves, to take care of themselves. It's fine to shower corporations with money, and incredibly tone deaf to say that in the midst of a pandemic that people should risk their lives to go back to work, but this isn't Chernobyl, this is the 'Greatest Nation On The Planet' and the rich are using people as human shields for their investments. The government needs to step up and value people. It may mean that they have to 'carry' the people for a few months, or a year. If the government can't help the people, then it's lost its reason for existing. With no one to work, and no one to buy things, you can give corporations all the money in the world, it's not sustainable.

Sorry but Hilton's comment/rant has given people the idea that they are important and 'workers' are supposed to lay down their lives to support the corporate culture. It's sick...

As I said there is plenty of if you seek out peoples personal accounts in blogs etc. The after action report on this will reveal the virus was out and about from Wuhan long before it was being observed.

I share your utopian view in my dreams but not in my waking hours.
So you would be one standing there sending people in to risk their lives, and potentially die to support 'the economy'? This isn't Chernobyl, the country will survive. The purpose of government is to support the people. That fiduciary duty has been lost in the corporate lobbying mess that is American Government now.

Corporations do not need to live by risking people's lives. But I'm glad to hear that you would stand up and risk your life and potentially your future just to 'take one for the corporitocracy'. People that 'recover' from COVID-19 have decreased lung function. It's not worth it to dramatically impact human health to get people to prop up corporate America.

I noted 'dieforthedow' is trending on Twitter. It shouldn't be a question. CEO's need to suffer before they ask their workers lay their lives on the line. Sorry, they don't need multiple houses, planes, sports cars, domestic staff, diamonds and furs, and fully stocked wine cellars. At what value is human life? Does the investor class have a higher value than the workers that provide most of that value? I say no. There is room for the top to adjust to these times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mw0103

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
There's no major impact, sorry. There aren't 1% of people dying either. There's 1% of people that are bad off enough to need to be tested dying, that's it. The vast majority will never even get tested when they get this because the symptoms are too minor. But keep buying what the media is pushing on you!

Like Apple, huh? 🤣

Yeah.. get me that iPhone 12.
No impact? After quoting my last post? I thought you were just a narcissist but it turns out to be a lack of knowledge of rudimentary math.

• Love
Reactions: rogue0

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003

I get that people are panicking about the economic impacts, and it's a scary sight to see first time unemployment claims spike like they did this week, but it's naive to think that the economy would be in better shape if we all just tried to go back to work.

As you've said, this isn't a zero sum game. You can't just reduce the isolation and expect a mirror increase in economic output.

If people are clearing out grocery stores, it's not because they're worried about their paychecks-- it's wasteful to buy everything up front rather than buy as you need. People cleared out grocery stores because they're concerned about availability. In part it's a mob response but in part its a concern that the supply chain might break down.

Right now, we still have food producers and transportation functioning as essential services. The rest of us staying home helps protect those people from illness, making it less likely that we have major supply chain disruptions. If we all go back to life as usual then we put those critical people at risk, thereby putting the larger economy at risk.

The prime reason for government is to 'support the people'. The government should step up and 'support' the people who have no way to get money to feed themselves, to take care of themselves. [...] It may mean that they have to 'carry' the people for a few months, or a year. If the government can't help the people, then it's lost its reason for existing. With no one to work, and no one to buy things, you can give corporations all the money in the world, it's not sustainable.
More over, at least for the time being, government money is essentially free. Interest rates are at the lowest point on record. There's a lot of room for discussion around how to best share the burden here, and how the government should intervene, but the weight of this can't be carried only by individuals who happen to be in industries the rest of us would feel safer shutting down. If we want people to stop working because it makes other people safer, then we need to shoulder this as a community-- not try to achieve community benefits from individual sacrifice.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickUrPoison

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The problem with how this will end is complicated by the stupid out there.

I know of several people that are outdoors riding bikes in large groups, pretty much every day. One posted a pic of all of them holding their hands out at shoulder height, poking fun at 'social distancing', either ignoring, or not caring that someone can still cough or sneeze, leaving a cloud that they ride through, and get virus particles in their eyes, nose, or mouth. So, the stupid is very strong in a lot of people, and the full count of how many people are sick, get sick, and need intensive medical intervention won't be known for months. Months. And there STILL isn't enough testing to tell where we are now, let alone where we might be in a week.

Reactions: recoil80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.