Apple, please switch to 22nm and 4" Super AMOLED Plus Already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPad 2, Nov 13, 2011.

1. iPad 2, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

iPad 2 macrumors regular

You have more money than Intel and Samsung combined.

There is no excuse why the iPhone's CPU is built on 45nm while Intel with a much smaller amount of money is building everything on 22nm.

Use a 5.2 watt hour battery instead of the puny battery in the 4S.

Invest some money to build your own factories and shrink the chips.

That would double the iPhone's battery life.

Also please give us a built in navigation app comparable to Google's.

The same applies to screens. Please go to Super AMOLED Plus and 4" and use PowerVR Series 6 gpu and a Cortex a15 cpu.

This plus the obvious wish for a low power 4G/LTE antenna, NFC, and an Apple made gaming controller ala...

[​IMG]

You have an insane amount of money, now use it to deliver some phones that are a generation beyond the competition like the previous iPhone's used to be.

------

The sad part is, in the years past, each iPhone was ahead of competitors at the time of release.

The iPhone and iPhone 3G was years beyond competitors in terms of touch capabilities.

The 3GS was an year beyond competitors in terms of ram, cpu, and gpu.

The iPhone 4 was an year beyond competitors in terms of screen resolution.

In what aspect is the 4s beyond competitors? It has a worse screen size, cpu clockspeed, ram, battery size and battery life than competitors. It's on par with them only in the areas of gpu and resoultion. But in most areas, it's actually behind others, not ahead.

That's not the Apple I know. And unfortunately, having already sunk well over a $1000 on Apps and iTunes purchases, I can't leave them for the better phones on the market either.

-------

Apple should take a page out of Intel and invest their money into shrinking the die size of the ARM chips that they are producing so that they can release more powerful ARM chips that get better battery life as well, due to being built on 22nm rather than 45nm.

Intel sunk some money into shrinking the diesize and moved past 45nms several years ago.

Why can't apple sink some of it's cash in order to shrink the diesize of their ARM chips as well. The 4s's cpu/gpu is still being built on the ancient 45nm process that makes the phone into a power hog.

And some cool ideas vaugha brought up...

Customizable dictionary, wasnt this in one of the 4.0 betas?
    Ability to attach a picture within the email app, like with mms
    Unlimited app folders. I have 3 game folders, come on
    Better notifications. I really like android's, and there's plenty of space in the top bar for a simple badge or something.
    Xenon Flash
    Auto check for app updates
    Ability to hide apps
    Unlimited safari tabs. I think the limit is 8 now
    We should be able to send files to the Mac over wifi
    Settings for multitasking ie turning it off, deciding which apps shouldn't multitask, and also a kill all button
    Optimization of the YouTube app
    Custom text tones and choosing other tones
    A notification light, like palm pre! It's invisible and very useful
    Louder speakers

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Not everyone wants the same stuff you do. Way to go on the assumptions!

3. iPad 2, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

iPad 2 thread starter macrumors regular

Who doesn't want better battery life?

The crappy 4-5 hrs I'm getting on the 4s is unacceptable.

Going to 22nm and Super AMOLED Plus would drastically improve battery life.

Previous iphones were actually a leap beyond what Andriod has to offer both in terms of hardware and software.

Now with Andriod phones offering better screens, larger batteries and larger screens, and comparable processors and gpus and Ice Cream Sandwich being decent, Apple lost it's advantage in terms of technology.

I've been monitoring my usage closely. The phone dies after 4.5 hrs of usage, every single time.

Took it to the Apple Store and they ran various tests said that the phone and battery is perfectly normal and 4.5 hrs is about what everyone is getting.

As far as I'm concerned, 4.5 hrs is way too short, and apple should invest some of their massive capital into increasing that number (by shrinking the chips to 22nm and going 4" Super AMOLED Plus)

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you want all those features, go buy an Android phone.

Apple makes one phone. If you want something different, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wow.

If true, then Androids have FAR worse battery efficiency than I thought, since some have the technologies you have listed. Even with the "battery glitches", the 4S has been proven to still be a top battery-life smartphone for the second half of 2011.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4-5 hours? I'm getting 20+ hours on my 4S and I'm still on 5.0.0. I'd also rather not have any OLED based screen on any of my devices. The colours are generally wrong and they are almost unusable in sunlight. Where as LCDs work just fine with the brightness cranked in the sunlight.

7. iPad 2, Nov 13, 2011

I've been monitoring my usage closely. The phone dies after 4.5 hrs of usage, every single time.

Took it to the Apple Store and they ran various tests said that the phone and battery is perfectly normal and 4.5 hrs is about what everyone is gettingg=.

As far as I'm concerned, 4.5 hrs is way too short, and apple should invest some of their massive capital into increasing that number (by shrinking the chips to 22nm and going 4" Super AMOLED Plus) .

----------
    Andriods have crappy software (in terms of efficiency and battery life) combined with good hardware (in some phones). Ice Cream Sandwich is supposed to be an improvement in that regard.

8. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I'm fine with the screen size right now not everyone wants a 4" screen

9. iPad 2 thread starter macrumors regular

Well then keep the 3.5 inch iPhone.

But many of us are sick of being stuck with 3.5 inches, and the only reason we haven't left is that we are locked into Apple ecosystem thanks to the App Store and iTunes.

I don't want to forced to stick with iPhone because of my Apps. I want an iPhone that actually feels comparable to what competitors have to offer.

10. wellok macrumors 6502

11. iPad 2, Nov 13, 2011

If you like the current phone, stick with it. No one is forcing you to get the 4" version.

But right now, I'm stuck with Apple thanks to Apps and iTunes, and I am genuinely unhappy with the crappy battery capacity and crappy screen size compared to competing phones. I'm not alone in this as multiple past polls all indicate the majority here would prefer a 4" screen size.

And it's time that an iPhone comes out again that's actually ahead of competitors like everyone of the previous iPhones used to be.

12. wellok macrumors 6502

You aren't stuck with anything, in the same way that nothing stopped me from coming to iOS from Android despite having invested in apps on the Android market. You may not want to pony up the cash on apps on a different platform, and that's fine, but let's not act like you're imprisoned here.

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Ahh .. seems you have exquisitely counter your own ranting. Good job :D

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Android, you're so far behind the competition. Stop producing your tablet telephones and switch to a 3.5" screen already. Everyone knows that smaller is better when it comes to mobile devices. Surely the technology exists to make this happen!

15. iPad 2, Nov 13, 2011

Of course I'm stuck with it.

Am I supposed to flush the $1000+ I've sunk into iTunes and App Store purchases over the years down the toilet.

It's ludicrous to say you can just throw away that kind of money without giving it a second thought.

It sucks having to stick with a phone that feels behind the competition in terms of screensize, battery life, and navigation options but the alternative, throwing away $1000 is even worse.

The sad part is, in the years past, each iPhone was ahead of competitors at the time of release.

Nothing was comparable to the iPhone's touch technology until the 3GS.

The 3GS was ahead of all competitors at the time in terms of ram, cpu and gpu.

No phone at the iPhone 4's launch could touch the iPhone's retina display.

But now, the 4S is behind competitors in terms of screen size, battery capacity, ram, cpu and only on par with them in terms of screen resolution and gpu.

16. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Super AMOLED is not inherently better. In fact, I'd call it worse in many respects.

17. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Apple is making lots of money on iPhone they are trying their best, unfortunately there is no one catch them up yet.

once that happens then iPhone leap forward.

technology will take its time.

18. iPad 2 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, did you even read the post you quoted. :rolleyes:

What exactly am I supposed to do, throw away the $1000+ I've sunk into Apps, Music, Movies etc back when apple actually stayed ahead of the competiton.

If you like the 3.5" screen, good for you, you have the 4s to keep you happy.

Now how about making an iPhone for those of us that want something with comparable hardware to the competitors but who are already locked into the Apple ecosystem thanks to purchases over the years?

19. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Apple is ahead of the competition. The iPhone 4S outperforms an Android phone because Apple actually designs the processor along with the software. Apple doesn't see producing a 4" phone as being "ahead of the competition." It is focused on producing one insanely great 3.5" phone. And you know what? It's working. Before you spent $1000 in the Apple ecosystem, you should have noticed that all previous models were 3.5", all current models are 3.5", and based on comments from Steve Jobs, all models in the near future are going to be 3.5". Furthermore, there is clearly no incentive to switch to Intel. If anything, Apple is preparing to move more away from Intel on its other product lines. The display is also fine. If you want a crappy pentile display, well, Apple doesn't do that.

20. iPad 2 thread starter macrumors regular

Of course you would think that, you already bought the iPhone and are psychologically motivated to support your buying decision.

Find me even one single unbiased reviewer that says that IPS is better than Super AMOLED at the same resolution.

Every comparison says the Super AMOLED displays blows all other displays away, and this is even at a lower resolution. A Super AMOLED display at 960x640 would be absolutely stunning.

----------

There isn't a single Andriod phone running Ice Cream Sandwich with comparable hardware to the 4s that the iPhone 4s outperforms.

3.5" was fine when basically all smartphones were 3.5" or less because display tech wasn't cheap enough back then. But phones have moved past that size in the past year, and apple is lagging behind everyone else.

And I never once said that Apple should switch to Intel.

What I said was that Apple should take a page out of Intel and invest their money into shrinking the die size of the ARM chips that they are producing so that they can release more powerful ARM chips that get better battery life as well, due to being built on 22nm rather than 45nm.

Intel sunk some money into shrinking the diesize and moved past 45nms several years ago. Now they are going down to 18nm.

Why can't apple sink some of it's cash into shrink the diesize of their ARM chips as well.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

the popularity of the 3GS and I4 and now the 4S along with the fact that each device out sold the past device. Is prove that you should be telling Apple what it's doing wrong. :rolleyes: We welcome our new spokes person!

22. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Many of us aren't sick of being "stuck" with 3.5 inches. I love my phone the way it is.

So I am assuming you are the spokesperson for the masses that feel just like you?

I have NO battery problems. My battery lasts WAY longer than 4 hours. A Lot of people post the same thing. Go over to the Droid forums, I believe you will see those same complaints about the battery.

All those "wonderful" Android phones may have out of the world specs, but guess what they still run a lackluster OS that do not offer the seemless smooth integration like the iOS world offers. iOS kicks the snot out of Droid. IMO. I won't speak for anyone else, nor should you.

Besides, most songs you can convert to MP3 now. Take the hit and go get your Droid. I am sure you can get all the free apps you want in the Droid Market.

If I had that mentality I would never have bought our MACs, given all the $ I spent over the years on our Windows platform.

23. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

How many Ice Cream Sandwich phones are on the market right now? Oh, that's right: none. I am not psychologically motivated to justify my purchase. I had a 3GS prior to the 4 and didn't feel the need to argue that its screen was good. But now that I've used the 4 for an extensive amount of time and upon comparing it with my friend's Droid, I prefer the retina. Apple is not "lagging behind" simply because it refuses to produce a 4" phone. Perhaps you missed the preorder and sales numbers for the 4S. Any company that is "lagging behind" doesn't sell that many phones. Apple is only "lagging behind" in your opinion because it doesn't offer the screen size that you want. For me, 3.5" is perfect. I want a phone I can use one-handed and still reach the whole screen with my thumb.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1319022037

Unless it's Super AMOLED +, it uses pentile displays which makes pixels look like crap.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4-retina-display-vs-galaxy-s-super-amoled-fight/

"The one standout differentiator between the two will have been apparent by gazing upon our gallery: the Retina Display really whoops on the Super AMOLED on the pixel level. Definition still looks ridiculous on the iPhone 4, and Samsung simply can't match it there."​

Also note that AMOLED saturates colors significantly, which looks okay on darker colors, but is too much on colors.

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4-retina-display-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-super-amoled/

"I personally think that Apple made a good decision when going for an IPS panel instead of a Super AMOLED now that it is known that Samsung’s latest and greatest tech still uses the PenTile Matrix. Sure you won’t notice any big differences from a normal viewing dsitance but the text does look fuzzier and can be a little bit annoying after a while..."​

Also, ARM is working on both 22nm and 20nm chips. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...22nm_Tri_Gate_Process_Technology_Company.html

24. iPad 2 thread starter macrumors regular

The iPhone 4s is selling well in part because most of the previous iPhone owners are stuck with Apple due to having spend a bunch of money on Apps, Music and Movies already.

I upgraded to the 4s at launch not because I felt it was the best phone on the market (it's objectively behind competitors in terms of screen and battery), but because I already sunk over a $1000 into Apple Apps and iTunes.

25. megapopular macrumors 6502a

The true majority are totally fine with the screen size. Polls posted here don't really speak for the average iPhone owner. We on this site are much more fickled. I personally love the iPhone screen size, don't want it any larger. If it does one day then cool, but I'd rather it stay this size, it's very easy to manipulate the entire screen with my thumbs. You're stuck right now because you choose to be stuck. You don't have to stay in the Apple ecosystem. You can join Android if you'd like, and have a larger screen and fancy graphics chips and a removable battery. Goodbye!!