Apple Power adaptor… HUGE!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wankey, Oct 29, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

I just checked out my friend’s Dell Business Special edition power adaptor (for their business laptops) And it’s a tiny strip, about 1 inch thick and 4 inchs long. It’s tiny! So look at my huge brick, and frown. Why Apple? I’m sure you guys can make it much smaller.

This is the adaptor I’m talking about:
    [​IMG]

I hope Apple can do something with their next line ups. Carrying the huge brick is nearly half the problem.

2. macbook yes macrumors 6502

They could make the battery component inside the laptop larger if you would like.

I would rather they not.

3. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. n19htmare macrumors member

apple power adapter isn't that big at all .... what's with the complaining?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

60 watts, not 65...

6. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

The fact that some crappy company like Dell has way better??? Why bother buying apple then? If you don’t care about this stuff then Dell will fit your need for half the price.

7. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

I agree that the difference is not "that" big, especially if you are comparing it to the power adapters of the 13" MBPs. Just because it's smaller doesn't mean that it functions the same way. Have you asked your friend how long does it take to charge his battery and the battery size of his laptop? The last thing you want is to have a tiny charger with a 9-cell battery and few hours at an airport to fully charge it for a flight (similar scenario can be expanded).

The bottom line is, it's all relative...

8. Tharian macrumors regular

Don't those adapters have two cords with one coming out both sides of the brick? I'm not a fan.

-d

9. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

My MBP's adapter is very small. I can't tell the relative size of the Dell's adapter, but it looks about the same.

10. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

I've seen one of those. They are thinner, but longer. As the poster above mentioned, they have cables on both sides. If you dont need the "extender" of your Apple charger, then the overall mass of the Apple charger will be lot smaller in comparison. Well, since the cables come with the adapter itself, we should take them into consideration too, right?

11. I3roknI3ottle macrumors member

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple ones, or Dell? Because they both can...
    Sorry you feel that way. I think this thread is useful, if just to draw attention to the fact that Apple's "itty bitty teany weenie power adapter", well, isn't.

there's so much fud about Windows based PC's, it's sometimes nice to put things in perspective with Mac based PC's.

13. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

If we are really going to put things in perspective, we need real data, not someone's "opinion" on how big or small a charger looks. In comparison to my last laptop (DELL XPS m1330), what I am carrying in my bag is almost half less in terms of overall mass. Note that both had the same total length from the power adapter at a Starbucks to the table that I usually use...

Again, unless someone starts posting, the DELL charger weighs X gr., vs Apple charger Y gr. (with all the cables), this will not go anywhere other than "mine is better than yours" type discussion.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

+1
    useless

15. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, smaller doesn't necessarily mean better. Also, keep in mind that the Dell's power adapter is nearly twice the length (If I'm not mistaken) of the Apple power adapter (60W). And in all, Apple's takes up less volume.

It really all depends on where and how you're storing your power adapter.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah you can also fry eggs on it. :p

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So dell has a few niche products that happen to have a smaller power adapter. You make is seem like all of their laptops have small ones, which is the farthest from the truth you can get. Frankly, people are amazed by my power adapter, they love the convenience of the slip in mobile piece and the built in cord containment.

18. vant macrumors 65816

I'd take Apple's adapter with Magsafe over a tiny adapter.

I think I've pulled the Magsafe out three times in the past half year!

19. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Just get the new MB(P)s with 7 hour battery and you'll never need to worry about the cumbersome charger. ;)

20. fs454 macrumors 65816

I just don't think it should be white. Now that the remote is the last thing that's been changed from pure white plastic, the adapter should change as well.

Apple has been using that design for a LONG time.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Find me any $2000 PC desktop or laptop running Windows that has the level of security that OS X has. This means no viruses. Let me know when you find one. My Mom's Dell has gotten pumped full of viruses (10 last week) even though we've bought Norton, McAfee, Avast, Kaspersky, etc. She doesn't even do much on the internet; only some Chinese news digest sites, Yahoo! and Google.

Moving on, is the power adaptor more important than the computer itself? Don't bother answering that because I'm almost afraid to hear the answer. I'd rather have my Mac than a Dell with a slightly smaller power adaptor. Sorry, but I (and 99% of people) care about the computer, not the power adaptor.

Oh btw, the Apple power adaptor is bigger, but what about the MagSafe feature? That's worth the sacrifice. Small as it may be.

22. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Windows 7 has a level of security that is similar to OS X. And most forms of linux probably offer better security. Apart from exploits (which Windows and OS X both have), a properly setup windows machine (with UAC) should offer about the same level of protection - hopefully Microsoft has changed the default settings to give new user accounts limited permissions. Users from olders versions of Windows are used to running as full admin and this has been one of the main propagation vectors for viruses.

It's good to look at the competition to remind oneself what the state of play is outside of AppleLand.

23. vant macrumors 65816

Are you serious? You honestly think Windows 7 will be able to fight off viruses that plagued the versions before it?

Get real, the market for botnets is growing. Guess who's the new target in town ripe for easy pickings.

24. revs macrumors regular

This is a sign that Apple hardware is great - because all we can find to bicker about is the fact someone has a slightly smaller power supply! oh noes! :)

The new MBP ones seem smaller than the older ones, so give it time and they will soon just become part of the plug! :)

25. kasakka macrumors 68000

Windows 7 is built to be much safer than XP. But no matter how safe you make it, there's one thing you can't protect from: user stupidity and ignorance. I don't run any antimalware software (aside from a firewall) on my Win7 machine and have had no viruses for years (used Vista before that). In the hands of someone less computer savvy it would be filled with them because people install **** by getting scammed via social engineering etc. Antivirus software's main purpose these days is to protect the users from themselves.

The exact same thing can happen on OSX. All the viruses for OSX at the moment are the kind that requires user interaction to install.

As for power adapters, I generally hate the bricks that have long cords coming from each end. My MBP 13"'s power adapter is nice and compact. The magsafe connector is also great because it can be easily plugged in and removed.