Apple PowerBook and iBook Updates - Next Week?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider reports that according to reliable sources, both iBooks and PowerBooks will see upgrades next week.

All in all, eight new laptop configurations are expected with two new 12" PowerBooks, two 15" PowerBooks, and a single updated 17" PowerBook (G4). Also expected are two 14" iBook and one 12" iBook revisions.

While Apple is having a media event on Sunday, April 18th, the Portable updates aren't expected until Monday, April 19th, according to Appleinsider.

This information is somewhat consistent with Page 2 reports of preparations for releases next week.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
jimsowden said:
Leave the rumors to me.
You got one right... that doesn't mean no one else has sources! You have any word on this one?

I believe it. After a long drought, we're finally entering upgrade season!

fener

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2003
ALL of the Apple portable computers shipping times are INCREASED TO 1-3 Business Days today, with some of them having 3-7 Business Days shipping times.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Macrumors said:
All in all, eight new laptop configurations are expected with two new 12" PowerBooks, two 15" PowerBooks, and a single updated 17" PowerBook (G4). Also expected are two 14" iBook and one 12" iBook revisions.

So what specs are we going to see?

Apple insider gives some hints...but I really wonder how much more attractive the PB range will be. Thoughts?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=414 from 7 April

"Unconfirmed reports indicated that Apple's PowerBook models will receive faster graphics processors and updated G4 processors with speeds possibly reaching 1.5GHz. A recent report by the Register's Tony Smith indicates that Motorola's PowerPC G4 7447A would likely power the new portables. The chip reportedly adds on-the-fly clock frequency adjustment, allowing system makers to run at reduced frequencies according to workload, effectively increasing battery performance."

"Previous reports also suggest that potential cosmetic changes were in the works for the company's 12-inch PowerBook offerings, possibly reducing the thickness of the 'Books. "

"Meanwhile, the company is also said to be readying another slight revision to its consumer iBook laptops. According to an anonymous report, the new units will include a low end 933 Mhz model for $999 and a high end 1.25 Ghz configuration for $1499. Two additional midrange configurations were listed, though it should be noted that all configurations are currently unconfirmed."

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
we can start counting the whiners crying about no G5 Powerbooks...

steady product releases until 3GHZ Powermacs in June. I'm likin' it!

BernerdJBean

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2004
Dallas, Texas
Anyone know?

I finally gave up on updates and broke down and ordered a new 15" PowerBook on Monday, which should arrive here on Friday.
If this rumor is in fact true...am I going to be screwed? What's Apple's policy on this sort of thing? If updates are announced on the 19th...that would be one week from the day I purchased it (direct through Apple).

Been a lurker for a while, and I look forward to your responses!

B.J.

Indiana Mac

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2003
Athens, Georgia
I hope that we see some cosmetic changes to the ibooks, I love mine, about the only thing I wish they'd add is a small carrying handle(like the clamshells, but sleeker). for the 17in could we add a full size keyboard? I think there is enough room on them, would make them a true desktop replacement.

Ling

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2003
Oberlin, OH
Well, this is indeed a move that Apple needs to make to keeps its product lines from getting too stale, however, I am really curious as to where the powerbooks will go.

I would really like to see the new Power Macs soon so I can replace my aging iBook. Sadly, I think at this point, Steve will probably hold off updates to the line until he can give us the dual 3's. :cool:

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Should I cancel my order then?

I just (JUST as in last evening) ordered a new 15" super drive. If the new laptops came out early next week, that's one thing. But if they're going to announce on Monday and then say - "we plan to ship by late May" only to see the notebooks shipping in early June... we'll then that's effectively telling me that there isn't an update coming for two months. What are the expectations? :confused: :confused:

Also - faster processors??? With a 1.25 G4 in the 15 PB, it already runs hot. I wouldn't want to put a reved-up chip in there and start burning my palms. I understand the newer chips have power scaling features to reduce the speed when unplugged, but I imagine it's going all-out when plugged in. It's still a G4 130 nm chip, so when plugged in it seems like its just got to be hotter.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
I want to believe it but I really REALLY doubt it.

If Powerbooks had a chance for a G5, they'd be saved for WWDC and I'd have expected iBooks to move with the eMacs.

I WANT TO BELIEVE YOU!!!! . . . but I won't.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Macmaniac said:
1.6 would be nice if its a G4, I really hope they can get the G5 in the PB's soon!
If G4PB rev c's come out given what happened at the end of 2002 to 2003, I wonder if we could still expect to see G5PBs at WWDC (even if they are released by say September). Thoughts? Would Apple do this again?

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
I'll take a wild guess:

17" gets 1.5 G4 (128MB graphics?) FW800
$2799
15" gets 1.5 G4, 1.33 G4, both back lit keyboards (128 MB graphics?) FW800
$1999, $2399
12" gets 1.33 G4, 1.25 G4 (64 MB graphics) both backlit keyboards? FW800
$1599, $1799

iBook 14" gets 1.25 G4, 1.0 G4 (prob still 32MB graphics) FW400
$1199, $1399
iBook 12" gets 933 G4, 32MB graphics FW400
$999

BLATANT specualtion, poisoned with a dash of hope

m4c

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
If this is true I'll be picking up a 12" ibook 933 G4 next week. :cool:

btw- how long do you think it would take for Apple to ship one of these upgrades out if I ordered next week? (if it really happens of course)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
dieselg4 said:
I'll take a wild guess:

17" gets 1.5 G4 (128MB graphics?) FW800
$2799
15" gets 1.5 G4, 1.33 G4, both back lit keyboards (128 MB graphics?) FW800
$1999, $2399
12" gets 1.33 G4, 1.25 G4 (64 MB graphics) both backlit keyboards? FW800
$1599, $1799

iBook 14" gets 1.25 G4, 1.0 G4 (prob still 32MB graphics) FW400
$1199, $1399
iBook 12" gets 933 G4, 32MB graphics FW400
$999

BLATANT specualtion, poisoned with a dash of hope
1.5 would be nice...plus better powermanagement making for longer battery life would be great.
FW800 does nothing for me.
128 Meg graphics card for same price would be attractive.
Screen spanning on the iBooks would be excellent.

What about bumped up screen resolution on the PBs? That would make me think about leaping in with the G5PB no where in sight...

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
well new powerbooks would be nice. Now if only they could cut the prices as well. Make them faster, better and more efficient and also cut the prices. Update them "A La eMac" .

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Hmmm, it'd be nice to see a price drop on all of those machines, just as we didn't expect an eMac update with price drop.

I'm hoping, if there are any cosmetic designs to any of the PBs or iBooks, they bring back the color. Perhaps the PowerBooks should keep its aluminum color, but the iBooks could use some color for consumer machines. Either a nice plastic color like the old iMacs and iBooks, or perhaps some metal casing with the colors of the iPod Minis. I can tolerate those colors, even if they aren't as exciting as, say, the old Bondi Blue color.

I don't expect too much of a big jump. Mostly 100-200 MHz at best with some new graphics cards for the PowerBooks (I don't see the iBook getting a new graphics card since I can't think of any consumer-level ones unless they move to nVidia). Perhaps some HD boosts, 10 GBs, if any. And of course, a price drop would be nice. Other than that, minor enhancements, IMHO.

If Apple somehow manages to release 1.6 to 1.8 GHz G5 PowerBooks, I'll be in total awe. I doubt it will happen, but if it does... But an announcement like that deserves a keynote or a webstream. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.