Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
interesting....

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7651

Rally highlighted many of the benefits, including lack of viruses: "One of the big advantages of using so many Macs is you don't have to spend as much on security – there are no major viruses that affect Mac OS X."

"don't have to spend as much on security" 'eh! now that's just begging for someone to hack now isn't it... :eek: :p :p add a few credits to your iTMS account, that kind of thing.... heheheh

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Good article iGav. I would have expected no less from Apple. It is always nice to have in confirmed publicly. I like hearing this from the MacWorld article: "Apple is facing the music, and we will all reap the benefits," the report concludes. The fact the 75% of the equipment they use is a Mac.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
its just a matter of time before someone comes up with a nasty virus for the macs. The only thing will be on how well Apple counters it.

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Yup, very good article, and good to hear that Apple are using their own technology to power their business. But, as Mr. Anderson said, now that Apple is getting more exposure (the popularity of the iPod getting more people looking to Macs) it is only a matter of time until someone decides to shut them up :eek: :(

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Don't you think that's been tried

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
its just a matter of time before someone comes up with a nasty virus for the macs. The only thing will be on how well Apple counters it.

D

Some hackers out there have tried but still they can crack open OS X.. why do think Apple releases "Security Updates"

I wouldn't pass Billy boy to be paying some hackers to make viruses for OS X since it winblows it's full of holes:D

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
excellent

Excellent,

This is what Apple needs to be doing, showing its potential clients, as well as assuring its existing client base, that you can run Apple software and hardware along with industry standard hardware/software to supplement it.

Good also to see that IBM's relationship with Apple is still very strong....
Apple also has some servers running IBM's AIX operating system
and not just focused on the 970cpu. If I do recal Apple did release one of its first eServers running a version of IBM's AIX Unix OS.

Furthermore with this quote....
As for software, the company does use Microsoft Office for the Mac, but uses its own products for most desktop tasks, including e-mail, instant messaging and Web browsing. As for enterprise applications, Apple is a longtime SAP customer, uses PeopleSoft 8 for customer relationship management and runs software from i2 for forecasting.
. If Apple can prove that along with its servers and software (primarily Mail, iChatAV, Safari, as well as security) corporations can use software such as SAP for application specific customization, and IBM corporate servers and Infineon SPF connections, are all cheaper than going full out MS (licensing fees for multiple installations and servicing them) or going Linux.

Linux is their major competitor right now and will be for some forseeable future.

In order to be more successful in the corporate or medium business space (the largest profits capable sector currently!), Apple needs to show the major differences between OS X and Linux and why OS X is actually better; while still maintaining the mutual benefits of the two.

Man those runoff sentences do hurt, trying to stop.:(

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Re: excellent

Originally posted by Prom1
In order to be more successful in the corporate or medium business space (the largest profits capable sector currently!), Apple needs to show the major differences between OS X and Linux and why OS X is actually better; while still maintaining the mutual benefits of the two.
Like the fact that OS X is usable as a desktop OS out of the box by ordinary consumers who want to touch configuration settings or learn basic computer concepts as little as humanly possible? Of course, if corporations cared about the user experience, Windows wouldn't have nearly the marketshare it does. ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

D

A friend of mine that works with PC computer networks now, said that originally he worked with Apple. He still highly respects the Mac. For some reason he remained with PC's. We had a discussion about the Mac and not really being affected by viruses. He told me that the viruses were originally developed for the Mac. The reason he gave for them not continuing was, why wouldn't you want to hit the largest market possible.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I really hope Apple isn't being complacent about security. Build in multiple layers of security and close up the OS even tighter. Extend security to the applications as well, such as email and web browsing. It isn't enough to be unaffected. Malicious code should still be isolated, identified and removed. Total system stability out of the box would also help with security. OSX already has excellent security - now make it awesome. It is only a matter of time before exploits appear with frequency. Patches aren't enough. Plan ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.