Apple Prepares to Pull Evi From App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoleo, Feb 26, 2012.

1. motoleo, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

"Yes, Evi can’t do Siri’s trick of adding things to your iPhone Calendar or hook into reminders. But, ask “How do I make apple pie?” and Evi provides a list of recipes with web links. Siri can’t give you a direct answer and just asks whether you want to search the web. Perhaps it’s the fact that Evi is pretty damn good, and doesn’t look a million miles away from Siri, that Apple has told True Knowledge that it is going to pull Evi from the App Store.

Apple has approved versions of Evi for the appstore multiple times – including post-Siri. However, the word on the street at Mobile World Congress is that there have been ominous signs that Apple was unhappy with the competition, including the one update True Knowledge submitted after launch (which merely added a historical searches feature). This has taken three weeks and counting to get approved.

On Friday evening True Knowledge had a call from Apple representative Richard Chipman. (If you Google Richard Chipman’s name you’ll find he is also the Apple rep that does the controversial calls about apps).

He told True Knowledge that Apple was “going to pull Evi from the appstore” as it was similar to Siri.

It is certainly highly aggressive for Apple to pull an app from the store. The usual process is to reject the app (in writing) and allow the developer to fix. However, it appears Apple’s line is essentially that fixing Evi isn’t an option.

Pulling it will also leave almost 200,000 Apple users who have already purchased the app without the ability to get updates.

Evi is still up on the Apple app-store now but it’s likely it won’t be there for very long.

The Android version of Evi is unaffected of course, which means Android users will get the benefits, but iPhone users are being told, it’s Siri or nothing."

Are you concerned?

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/26/apple-prepares-to-pull-evi-from-app-store-did-it-slap-down-siri/

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I personally think that Google or Microsoft should buy this company and incorporate Evi into Android or Windows 8.5, but obviously build upon what is already there. Evi is pretty good and could be a serious rival to Siri with the right servers. Cause right now, regardless of what the competition says, they don't have anything even close to Siri.

I have already downloaded Evi as a Spire backup, but it's the calendar and reminder integration that really makes me use Siri. Evi can't compete there.

4. motoleo, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Apple was not being nice with True Knowledge, and I noticed. They know they should've bought True Knowledge.

When you compare them, the software that you want is Evi. Siri's pretty much voice control- it doesn't appear to have any access to the Internet.

With TK out of the picture ... that will leave just Siri ... & Google's ... Majel

Dum dum dum!

Attached Files:

5. alFR macrumors 68020

You did notice that Evi's reply to that question basically said "It's the 18th amendment to the US constitution" (which is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard), right?

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Made my day. :)

7. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

And yet, Apple is still preventing it from competing. That is their right, of course, but it's silly to pretend it's because people will confuse it with Siri.

8. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

At least she tried.

I will admit, it was a bad example. You get the picture, at least it tries.

Actually, if you down vote that response (and that's something you guys are really good at) you will get a better one. I've seen Evi's responses change.

I hope they don't pull it.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Apple's behaviour to anti-competitively protect their own software rather than try and make it better than the competition is pathetic.

Phazer

10. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

The difference is obvious. They know that Evi is a threat.
    I would be very upset if it got pulled.

For this example, Evi takes my question and answers it the way I wanted. Siri doesn't really understand what I asked. If I wanted directions to a restaurant, I would've asked for it. But Evi can understand both.

Attached Files:

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Anyone think this might be a ploy to get people to download Evi?

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

So what did you get to come push this?

13. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

No. I legitimately like Evi.

14. MS Convert macrumors newbie

Evi was a disappointment

I am sorry to say that i downloaded Evi since my iPhone 4 does not support Siri, and was hoping for "similar" voice control features like those in Siri. Evi was a huge disappointment to me and I found it useless since it won't "do" anything. It may be good at retrieving information, but Siir is about doing stuff, which is what I was after. Needless to say, I paid for the app, but have deleted it..!

15. MS Convert macrumors newbie

Siri Alternative?

Has anyone been successful in finding a Siri alternative for the iPhone 4? specifically, the ability to dial calls, send messages, etc.?

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

This is why the story sounds implausible to me that first Apple would warn them that they were going to remove this soon, and second that they would even bother.

The only thing similar between these apps is they both use voice recognition.

Evi does not do what Siri does, and never will.

17. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Evi's okay, but Siri has way more potential. Siri is only in her infancy, but there's more features and services coming. The ability to understand context, as well as understand natural input is key. It's just a matter of time until the services come along.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If you jailbreak, yes, just google, resources are all over.

19. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Jailbreak and download Sara

20. MS Convert macrumors newbie

Tried to stay "clean"

Yeah, been there, done that..
    Sara was very unreliable (seemingly due to server problems) I hardly got it up and running before giving up on it. Been trying to stay away from jail breaking :)

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

OP, I'm totally sure its extremely easy to make a case for one's cause by pulling up a few issues that Siri provides you that don't answer your question the way you want it to.
    But I notice that from the reviews that your EVI also has many many problems as well.
    If you'd like, I bet the masses could also post many comparisons where Siri out performs Evi.
    So please don't come here and present skewed data. It makes the case for Siri, not for Evi.
    It does seem that you are really pushing this app.

And also, when Evi said the 18th amendment is the 18th amendment really makes it sound like its about as useful as mud flaps on a turtle.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I gotta say, you're not making a good case for Evi here. Maybe we'd care if it seemed like it offered something useful over Siri, but so far I'm not getting that.

24. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Since you like Evi so much, why are the reviews for it so bad?