Apple Pro Apps

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
News.com reports on Apple winning an Emmy for Final Cut Pro... and summarizes Apple's recent acquisitions:

In July, the company announced a deal to acquire German audio-software maker Emagic. In June, the company announced deals to acquire technology assets from digital video software makers Prismo Graphics and Silicon Grail. In February, the company acquired Nothing Real, Silicon Grail's chief rival in the digital effects market.

Apple released Shake for OS X in July with significant discounts for OS X users. Jobs would not comment on future Apple products, but said to "Stay tuned..."

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Apple must feel good about their hardware futures if they think they can compete with the likes of Silicon Graphics.

Good luck apple.

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Apple must feel good about their hardware futures if they think they can compete with the likes of Silicon Graphics.
Silicon Graphics NT machines were hardly a raging sucess. If I remember correctly they brought the company to it's knees.

It should be interesting to see what Apple releases next though - a low end sound editor to go with iMovie would be a nice adition on top of the expected high-end software.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
There has been mention by a small group of people about how it would be nice to have a sound editing and mixing iApp. I don't see it happening, the reason being simple. iApps are geared toward trends in the market.

iMovie was introduced because more and more people were getting into digital video for their families and such. Firewire connectivity was a big plus to have on their cameras, and they needed an easy app to produce the home movies that they wanted. Apple took some professional power and end user ease of use and melded them into a great program designed to fit the needs of future and current customers.

iPhoto was introduced because more and more people were buying digital cameras in lieu of traditional cameras. Apple created a program that put together some of the best features from multiple programs into one simple interface. iPhoto reduces the hassle of organizing your digital pictures.

iTunes was introduced because of the Napster era. More and more people who didn't even know how to change their internet settings were getting online and downloading mp3s like madmen. They needed a simple, easy to use way of organizing them all and being able to access them.

iChat is being introduced because instant messenging has become THE way to communicate online. IM has for many people become the best option for communication completely, trumping long distance telephone, email, and IRC-based chat rooms.

I do not see a market need for an iAudio type of app. John Q Public is not trying to mix and edit his own personal music. I'm not saying it doesnt happen, but I am saying the percentage of people doing these things does not speak well for the accounting people looking at an idea on the table for an iApp based upon it.

The same goes for an i3D app.

Jam

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2002
NoVA, USA
I agree that the average joe isn't really into editing/making their own music or creating 3D...
But, iMovie is sometimes presented as a gateway to Final Cut Pro- sort of a "here's the basics, if you want to do more try our pro app"... Maybe it could work to have iApps for audio and 3D. Keep the learning curve simple and use the free apps as advertisements for the pro apps. It also adds value to say the computers come bundled with this and that- consumers like to think that they are getting more for their money- sometimes even if they will never use the feature.

On another note, if apple can do for 3D and audio what it did for video w/Final Cut Pro, we're in for a treat... of course, we need some better hardware.

-j

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
yes better hardware would be nice...
before an iSound app comes out though, i want a 5.1 sound card! OSX has the support (proven on macrumors at least twice) so now we need the hardware...
i can see a mixing app comming out when FireWire mixing boards that are at least good come out...

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Better hardware for 3D, sure, but the specs are just fine for audio. I've mixed 5.1 sound for a two hour feature on a B&W G3, and outside of the fact that mixing 5.1 is hard to do right, the computer was flawless and not slow at all.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
something that might be of interest to you guys..

my second cousin in nY just recently went to a big HD (high definition) seminar/workshop..

among the things they taught was Final Cut Pro...

My cousin says that Avid is slowly becoming a thing of the past and as of now apple is really leading the way into the future with HD and all their editing tools...

she knows someone that edited star wars ep II and she says they completely used fcp (which i think most of us knew already..)...

if fcp keeps catching on the way that it has been, apple could possibly make a lot of money off of it in the future..

-f

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
ok, so then how do you do 5.1 output?!
sorry, i keep asking and no one has really gone "do this this and this"...still just wondering...
obviously, this can't be done with the single stereo out on our Macs. all you need is a multiple channel output device and drivers for it. and, ofcourse software that supports it. Logic Audio does 5.1. as does Cubase and many others. you just need the proper outs. if you are talking home entertainment then i really am not sure but i assume it's just a matter of getting a soundcard or intergace with the needed amout of outs.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Try the Sonica from M-Audio. It's USB and has an optical output along with a headphone jack. The biggest problem woth OSX's audio is the DVD player. It's the only thing that should have support for 5.1 that doesn't. Damn. :(

mueng

macrumors member
May 20, 2002
Michigan
Originally posted by edvniow
Try the Sonica from M-Audio. It's USB and has an optical output along with a headphone jack. The biggest problem woth OSX's audio is the DVD player. It's the only thing that should have support for 5.1 that doesn't. Damn. :(
M-Audio has recently posted on their drivers page for Sonica, VideoLAN Client, which is able to pass the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound through the Sonica to the receiver, enabling true surround from the DVD.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/sonicaSite/alt_content/drivers.html

The readme that comes with the VLC player contains an interesting tidbet....

"The VLC DVD Player is publicly available software under the GNU public license,
and is not supported by M-Audio. It is being provided as a technology demo for Sonica users so they can use Sonica's AC3 output. M-Audio recommends using Apple's DVD Player with AC3 output capability when it becomes available. "

So is there a new version of the Apple DVD player software coming? (which will have the ability to pass the AC3 [Dolby Digital] out?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iSynth

Most people don't know that MusicDevice a component of CoreAudio in OS X replace Rolands licensed music.

Wouldn't it be cool to let consumers know that they only need to purchase an inexpensive USB keyboard to have instant access to software synths?

History shows that Christmas is a huge sales period for the little portasynths. Apple could easily take something like the entry level Logic midi/audio app. rewrite it to support CoreAudio and other "homegrown" tech and bundle a small app that does lite work.

Anything that seperates the Mac from it's competitors is welcome.

It's a shame that we don't push creative arts more on our children. It used to be cost prohibitive but now with the advent of software for computers and low cost intruments this final barrier is being knocked down.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
that's great guys, but what cards and hat output devices? anything firewire or USB?
i use the emagic(now Apple)emi 2|6 USB. it has 2ins/6outs plus a spdif output which can carry all the ins and outs thru cable. it has ASIO drivers for OS9 and a FIrmware loader(sort of driver) for OS X. you will need 10.2 to take advantage of all the outs in OS X though. works great for me. i've done live sets with it so it has my vote of confidence. they will be releasing a 6|2 model to compliment it which will give 6ins/2outs. hence 6ins and outs total. i use Logic Audio and got it for it's tight integration but i've used it successfully with a variey of apps. if you want to go FireWire it will cost you but i like the MOTU 828, 8ins/8outs, plus spdif and optical. OSX beta drivers were just released and from what i here are working good. if you are a serious audiophile with some cash go for the RME Multiface. i use it in the studio and it's truly a dream. here are the links:

http://www.emagicusa.com
http://www.MOTU.com
http://www.rme-audio.com

Originally posted by firewire2001
she knows someone that edited star wars ep II and she says they completely used fcp (which i think most of us knew already..)...
Probably. But the entire actual film itself were rendered on Athlon-MP render farms. Does anyone know if the format of FCP is publicly available and therefore renderers are available for x86-based render farms? If not, then it's nearly impossible for Star Wars Episode II to have been done in Final Cut Pro.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
Back to music...I know people here that told me, they would have bought an Apple, had they of been as strong in the music mixing department as a PC.

I still do not have any problems ripping a record, cleaning it up and putting it into mp3 or the like.

As far as music apps go, I haven't seen anything amazing yet in OSX, and was never really impressed with what ever was around in OS9

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by big
Back to music...I know people here that told me, they would have bought an Apple, had they of been as strong in the music mixing department as a PC.

I still do not have any problems ripping a record, cleaning it up and putting it into mp3 or the like.

As far as music apps go, I haven't seen anything amazing yet in OSX, and was never really impressed with what ever was around in OS9
huh? Macs have long been the industry standard in professional music production. if you were "never really impressed" with things like ProTools, Logic Audio, Cubase, etc. then i don't know what to tell you because that's all there is, PC or Mac. and it's those apps that are used to create just about every song you here today. Ripping and encoding mp3s are one thing but actual pro music production is another. i'm not sure what you are getting at.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
thanks everybody that sent links and info...
i have my 5.1 set up in OS9, but OSX was starting to bug me...
my studio here at school is upgrading their music equipment, so this should help...the freshman might just get to work on the hardware and not the software!!! yay! so, thanks again

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Originally posted by MacCoaster

Probably. But the entire actual film itself were rendered on Athlon-MP render farms. Does anyone know if the format of FCP is publicly available and therefore renderers are available for x86-based render farms? If not, then it's nearly impossible for Star Wars Episode II to have been done in Final Cut Pro.
who ever edited star wars would have used whatever edit system they wanted. probably fcp or avid. the 3d animations would have been done in maya or a similar package and that stuff sent off to render farms. the animations and real stuff would have to be composited. then edited. whoever edited the film would have used fcp with cinema suite or avid.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>huh? Macs have long been the industry standard in professional music production. if you were "never really impressed" with things like ProTools, Logic Audio, Cubase, etc. then i don't know what to tell you because that's all there is, PC or Mac. and it's those apps that are used to create just about every song you here today. Ripping and encoding mp3s are one thing but actual pro music production is another. i'm not sure what you are getting at.

this coming from a guy who thinks 9.x is THE definative OS?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by big
[B
this coming from a guy who thinks 9.x is THE definative OS? [/B]
lol! i don't actually plan to use OS9 for the rest of my life. just until we see some more audio apps for X. i actually very excited about Jaguar's handling of MIDI and audio. and i wasn't trying to be obnoxious. i was just confused about what you were referring to, audio ripping and mp3 stuff or actual production. anyway, i still think that although you can get better performance(more stereo tracks, better DSP, effects etc.)on PC, the Mac is still the better working environment for audio. i'm not a zealot. i actually use PCs for rendering purposes and number crunching that the Mac can't handle.