Apple Pro Speakers and PCs

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Will the Apple Pro speakers that came with the old imacs work on a pc? i really like them and would really like to have a pair for my windows computer.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
No, because the have the special plug for iMac G4's and PowerMacs like my Quicksilver.

There may be an adapter somewhere, but it's not worth it.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
They won't work as they draw power from the connector as well as the audio signal and only macs provide that type of connection.

You can get adapters I belive griffin do one but they are very expensive.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The Griffin adapter is iFire. It requires a 6-pin FireWire port for power, but the audio in is actually a standard audio jack. An iPod charger can be used for power if the PC only has 4-pin FW or none at all. This is all a bit pricey unless you really, really like those speakers.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
Hey iMeowbot, I was gonna give my Pro speakers to my friend and get an iFire, but her laptop only has a 4pin firewire. Would a 6 to 4 pin firewire cable do the trick?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Muskie said:
Hey iMeowbot, I was gonna give my Pro speakers to my friend and get an iFire, but her laptop only has a 4pin firewire. Would a 6 to 4 pin firewire cable do the trick?
no, because 4-pin firewire doesnt provide power (that's what the extra 2 pins are for). like iMeowbot said, you could use an ipod power brick for the power connection i guess.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
homerjward said:
no, because 4-pin firewire doesnt provide power (that's what the extra 2 pins are for). like iMeowbot said, you could use an ipod power brick for the power connection i guess.

ah, ok thanks anyway.