Apple Purchases FireWire Company

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Interesting...

It's very interesting to note that their website shows that they are a "Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner".

Good job Apple, you took away a stake in M$'s entrance in the Firewire market.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Interesting...

Originally posted by dantec
It's very interesting to note that their website shows that they are a "Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner".
I mentioned this in the other thread. But also interesting is Zayante's hardware system, the ZBox -

The hardware platform is based on an Intel Celeron processor, 32MByte SDRAM, 10GByte HDD, and a 1394 OHCI-based subsystem for high bandwidth transfers of asynchronous and isochronous data.

I didn't find any mention of FireWire2, but it would be hard to believe that they weren't working on it.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Ahh, hadn't seen the other post in the forums, and just received this as a submission. Still, a rather interesting move for Apple. Good to see it.

blakespot

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Apple & FireWire...

it's a very interesting move for Apple...

so does this mean that Apple is attempting to clinch the market as the FireWire supported industry leader?!

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Interesting...

Originally posted by dukestreet
I didn't find any mention of FireWire2, but it would be hard to believe that they weren't working on it.
You did not notice the line in the Yahoo new report that said "FireWire is the best technology to connect digital devices that need to transfer lots of data quickly such as transferring an entire CD from your Mac to your iPod in less than a second".

Now, we all know that the iPod currently can have 1 CD uploaded to it in 10 seconds and, when the VP of Hardware Engineering talks about less than a second, it tends to suggest that they have been working on a few things in the back shed.
:)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Faster data rate

Firewire2 might see speeds upto 1600. That would definitely be nice.

But more curious as to what will happen to their ZBox. Apple wouldn't sell PCs, would it? To make a ZBox with a G4 would be interesting, but might have compatibility issues. It might be a while before we see anything. I'm still waiting to see what happens with Apples purchase of Nothing Real.:D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
apple seems to b making a lot of acquisitions lately. its good to see. we all know how great apple is, but on wallstreet apple is highly under valued. those stock prices are a joke for a company like apple. maybe acquisitions like this will send a positive signal to the market.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
... we all know how great apple is, but on wallstreet apple is highly under valued. those stock prices are a joke for a company like apple. maybe acquisitions like this will send a positive signal to the market.
That puchase, iMacs becoming generally available to retailers, and Apple's assiduous 'restructuring' seem to have made a difference on the market yesterday...

Attachments

Bophonic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2001
Acutally, the fair market value of AAPL is closer to $14 a share. Thats a fact, so it really is OVER valued.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Bophonic
Acutally, the fair market value of AAPL is closer to $14 a share. Thats a fact, so it really is OVER valued.
hello i just pulled a number out of my ...posterior.

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, so if you wish to bash apple please take it elsewhere.

apple's IS extremely undervalued. when discussing mergers and acquisitions apple's undervalued stock value has always been brought up as an example of a company primed for a take over. the value of the company far exceeds what it would require to aquire the company. so if you guys have a few extra billion dollars lying around buying apple would be a great investment. even if you just dismantled the company and sold it immediatly after the acquisition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.