Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Poor earnings . . .

I hope they have to report "lower than expected" earnings because of an "inability to meet demand for iPods" and "failure to bring revised models of products, iPods, Powerbooks, and powermacs to market" on promised schedules.

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Poor earnings . . .

Originally posted by Le Big Mac
I hope they have to report "lower than expected" earnings because of an "inability to meet demand for iPods" and "failure to bring revised models of products, iPods, Powerbooks, and powermacs to market" on promised schedules.

I see where you are coming from, but that's just terrible -- for a shareholder.

Sounds like they will meet, not beat, consensus @ 0.02 EPS.

...hoping for a "beat" though.

Chad4Mac

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
What are you talking about?

Originally posted by blueBomber
there better be a mention of how Motorola is screwing Apple in the speed wars, and that next quarter will be outstanding due to the new 970 :D

Everyone knows G4s are far superior when it comes to running Adobe applications!!!......oh, wait, that's been disproven recently.

The sad thing is that John Carmack, arguably the most famous programmer in the world, was firmly behind the new OS, processors, and graphics cards. It would be a shame to lose the vocal support of a guy like that.

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
Re: What are you talking about?

Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Everyone knows G4s are far superior when it comes to running Adobe applications!!!......oh, wait, that's been disproven recently.

The sad thing is that John Carmack, arguably the most famous programmer in the world, was firmly behind the new OS, processors, and graphics cards. It would be a shame to lose the vocal support of a guy like that.

I bet John will love his new Mac OS X 10.3 box with a PPC970 and Geforce FX 5800 running with 8x AGP that apple gives him.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Simon Liquid
Me prays this will bait the As the Apple Turns people out of hiding.

haha, they are dead, really look, they post about how they are returning to normal schedule and then haven't posted since. :confused: :rolleyes:

'I'll post more about this later'
:later:
:much later:
:the next year:
I'm back! :eek:

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
prolly only part of UMG.

and that would kill the chances (if it hasn't already) of the other 4 majors sticking with apple in the long run for the music service thingy.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Re: Re: What are you talking about?

Originally posted by GPTurismo
I bet John will love his new Mac OS X 10.3 box with a PPC970 and Geforce FX 5800 running with 8x AGP that apple gives him.

GeForce FX 5800 sux. ATI 9800 is a whole ton better.

RLB

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Might Apple release Ipods or ibooks this Tuesday or Wednesday to distract shareholders from earnings news (assuming that the earnings were not lackluster)?

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Re: Re: Re: What are you talking about?

Originally posted by DavPeanut
GeForce FX 5800 sux. ATI 9800 is a whole ton better.

...oh yeah. Think your Powermac is loud now? Try putting an FX in there, at least it will sound fast ;)

ceb

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2003
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Earning prospects must be good if they're considering buying UMG.

Asinine statement. We can get into a discussion here regarding debt/equity leveraging, but I'm not going to dive into it unless you present some evidence of their earnings having that much to do with the decision. Current assets would suffer on the balance sheet with the buyout with long-term liabilities increasing, with shareholder equity facing vulnerability due to uncertainty of the decision. There are much more pressing concerns regarding the transaction other than earnings prospects, and it is only a very small part of the bigger picture. Sorry, I guess this is what happens when a finance/accounting person comes on these boards.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by ceb
Asinine statement. We can get into a discussion here regarding debt/equity leveraging, but I'm not going to dive into it unless you present some evidence of their earnings having that much to do with the decision. Current assets would suffer on the balance sheet with the buyout with long-term liabilities increasing, with shareholder equity facing vulnerability due to uncertainty of the decision. There are much more pressing concerns regarding the transaction other than earnings prospects, and it is only a very small part of the bigger picture. Sorry, I guess this is what happens when a finance/accounting person comes on these boards.

Yeah dude, can you repeat that in English? I'm a computer science major and I didn't get a word of that. :cool:

iapple

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2001
um...

Ok, I don't remember Apple announcing their financial results with a stream..
To me, I can't believe they would do this unless they have pretty darn good results.

WHO would broadcast a stream of crappy results?

Or has Apple done this every time?

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by ceb

Navy-
Sure, in so many words. Basically what he is saying is that there goes Apple's cash (decreasing current assets) and their long term debt will most likely increase (loans). If you are an investor, you like to see a couple things on the balance sheet: Lots of cash and zero debt.
If Apple does this deal, which I personally don't think they will, the stock will go down, that is unless Steve unveils a really good, no, ****ing spectacular, business plan.

I personally think they should stick to computers and softwares...keep the cash.

We will see...

Chad4Mac

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: um...

Originally posted by iapple
Ok, I don't remember Apple announcing their financial results with a stream..
To me, I can't believe they would do this unless they have pretty darn good results.

WHO would broadcast a stream of crappy results?

Or has Apple done this every time?

They do it everytime, just like all the rest.

Even if they had a bad quarter, they will always make it sound like a good one:rolleyes: Sneaky accountants:cool:

Chad4Mac

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
Well, The Drivers from ATI look fishy, still. I just trust nvidia :)

And remember, ATI had the lead with the rage and touted it and they dropped the ball... as usual. So I am still weary of that.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
just saying

interestingly enough Microsoft is also releasing there numbers after the market closes today as well

edit: motorola as well
edit2: just realized today is the 15 not the 16 sorry for the spam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.