Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Quarter 4 2003 Financial Results - Oct 15, 2003

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
So sales from Panther wouldn't be included... wonder how much of a difference that would have made.

Comment

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by neonart
Have they done this before? Or are they doing a broadcast because these figures are so hot?

I doubt that they'll be that much above expectation; they did not issue a guidance that expectations needed to be raised. But they're not below expectations either. I expect something at the upper end, which would still be a Good Thing.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Have they done this before? Or are they doing a broadcast because these figures are so hot?

they do it every time.

arn

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Please note that comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties...
meaning new iPod, new iTunes, iTMS for PC, and new ad campaign.
...and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements.
meaning they didn't ship as many powermacs as they hoped (due to delays) and the PowerBook update came too late to help them with the bottom line.

Comment

bluefido

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2003
"Forward looking statements" is derived from securities law terminology. Basically, they are trying to cover their behind, in case someone wants to invest money in Apple off this rumor. Nothing more...

Originally posted by dongmin
meaning new iPod, new iTunes, iTMS for PC, and new ad campaign.
meaning they didn't ship as many powermacs as they hoped (due to delays) and the PowerBook update came too late to help them with the bottom line.

Comment

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Crossing my Fingers

Hoping the delayed G5's don't end up giving the message a total negative bottom line. Just bought some apple stock today. Putting my money where my mouth is.

Comment

Manimac

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2003
Houston, TX
Keep in mind that this will cover the period through near the end of September, so I don't think we'll see a lot of impact yet from all the recent announcements. The PB and iMac annoucements are very recent and the G5's haven't had much time of actual shipping yet.

While the forward-looking statement language is very standard, I think it will be interesting to see what they choose to discuss or not discuss about events after quarter end. They have an opportunity to discuss demand related to recent announcements although I suspect they will be a bit vague and use language like "strong demand" or "exceeding expectations" if things have been going well. Should be interesting.

Comment

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA

Almost every publically traded company does this every quarter of every year.

Although listening to folks on this thread, I think the reaction is a riot. Only could the MacRumors crew get excited about quarterly financials. You've gotta love a company that has fans!

Comment

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Originally posted by mislabeledstar
does steve handle these annoucements or do they have someone else in the company take care of the financial annoucements?

Steve rarely ever handles this report, it is handled typically by the CFO or other financial officers. Although Steve is known to make all sorts of appearances on finance shows like CNNFI and CNBC immediately following the annoucement to talk about the numbers, e.g. 5 minute Stevenote for investors.

Comment

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
SOO much interesting stuff is happening right now

2 out of 3 items are like to contain big surprises ahhhhhhhh

sooo close

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Timing

Interesting that they've chosen to hold the big Music day after the financial announcement... Wonder why...

You'd think that holding it before would let them talk up the future, but holding it after means they've got to remain pretty mum about what's happening the very next day!

It'll be interesting to hear the answers to questions about iTunes for Windows...

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Nevermind... Just read the USA Today article... If USA Today knows, there's little reason to not talk about it...

Comment

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Originally posted by bluefido
"Forward looking statements" is derived from securities law terminology. Basically, they are trying to cover their behind, in case someone wants to invest money in Apple off this rumor. Nothing more...

Actually this is standard legal boilerplate for financial statements. It really has nothing to do with Apple at all.

Comment

bluefido

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2003
It is standard legal boilerplate derived from securities laws....MacRumors is trying to protect themselves from wackos who actually think the announcement of 4th quarter results means anything other than giving financial results.

Comment

bluefido

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2003
Originally posted by yamabushi
Actually this is standard legal boilerplate for financial statements. It really has nothing to do with Apple at all.

It doesn't just cover financial statments. It also covers prospectuses, advertisements, and a varierty other statements.

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by bluefido
This actually means anything said about the future. "Forward looking as in looking forward into the future.

That statmenet has nothing to do with actual results. However if Apple says the think they're going to sell x Units of something this current quarter, that is a forward looking statement.

So Apples forecasts for the quarter that just ended are not affected by that statement.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.