Apple quietly drops k-12 student discounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Same. They never dropped anything. Maybe the person who submitted this got confused by the layout change?

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
K-12 students were never offered discounts in Australia and America, only teachers and staff. I don't know about other countries though.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Damn, I cannpt believe that they dropped support for K-12 students. I bought my PowerBook through my education discount, and upon returning a few weeks ago to check out monitors, I noticed that my school was no longer there. All I can say is "bollocks"... :mad:

This is one area where Microsoft has Apple wooped...

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
NO!! They took it away! Nothing even any in my sate anymore. :( My PC friend was gonna switch to a Mac for school...dammit! :mad:

Hopefully Apple is planing on replacing it or something :(

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
mj_1903 said:
K-12 students were never offered discounts in Australia and America, only teachers and staff. I don't know about other countries though.
K-12 students were offered discounts. I bought Mac OS X Tiger for $69 via Apple's Online Education store. I have the PDF receipt to prove it :p

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
Huh? The Apple Store never offered K-12 student discounts -- at least not in the past seven or so years that I've been paying attention to the matter.

Maybe Apple did back in 1994 or something.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Google's Cache comes to the rescue

Google's cache still has the old layout. See it here:

http://64.233.161.104/search?client=safari&rls=it-it&q=cache:http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

However, that still doesn't tell whether K-12 students could purchase using education discounts or not. I believe that K-12 students were not officially given discounts, only college students. Only if you were K-12 staff could you buy via Apple's education store.

(Not that there was any rigorous "background checks" to make sure you were what you say you were, though.)

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Nermal said:
What does K-12 mean?
Kindergarden through 12th grade. And yes K-12 for students was never offered but that doesn't bother me - I still get my college discounts as I have in the past.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Nermal said:
What does K-12 mean?
Essentially the grades from 5-18 in our public schools. Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
simX said:

http://64.233.161.104/search?client=safari&rls=it-it&q=cache:http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

However, that still doesn't tell whether K-12 students could purchase using education discounts or not. I believe that K-12 students were not officially given discounts, only college students. Only if you were K-12 staff could you buy via Apple's education store.

(Not that there was any rigorous "background checks" to make sure you were what you say you were, though.)
As long as I have looked at Apple's site, they have offered discounts. I bought my PowerBook for $200 going through my school education discount, my LaCie going through my school education discount, and Tiger going through my school education discount. Trust me.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
sord said:
Kindergarden through 12th grade. And yes K-12 for students was never offered but that doesn't bother me - I still get my college discounts as I have in the past.
So that's what, through to the end of high school? Most education discounts here in NZ are only for tertiary students. I'm not sure about Apple though.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
K-12 student discounts haven't been allowed under Apple policy since at least 1999. Any K-12 students getting discounts through the Apple store were getting away with something that wasn't supposed to happen.

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
simX said:

I've followed that "Find your K-12 school" link under the "shop for yourself" section many a time over the years, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it was only ever available to K-12 educators, not K-12 students. This was made abundantly clear on the "I Agree" page that you had to get past in order to get to the discounted prices.

Come on, did y'all really think Apple was giving discounts to every adult in the country who just happened to have a child between the ages of 5 and 18? That would be, like, mostly everybody ;)

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
ham_man said:
Essentially the grades from 5-18 in our public schools. Kindergarten through 12th Grade.

As long as I have looked at Apple's site, they have offered discounts. I bought my PowerBook for $200 going through my school education discount, my LaCie going through my school education discount, and Tiger going through my school education discount. Trust me.
If you clicked through and made a purchase using that link, then you were improperly using a discount for K-12 educators, not students. If you had read the "I Agree that I am a K-12 educator" page, you would have known that, but you probably just clicked past it made the purchase without realizing you weren't supposed to. Since Apple doesn't appear to ever follow up on whether the people using that link are actually K-12 educators or not, it looks like you just got lucky.

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Nermal said:
So that's what, through to the end of high school? Most education discounts here in NZ are only for tertiary students. I'm not sure about Apple though.
Yes Kindergarden is the start of school and 12 is the last year of highschool.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
winmacguy said:
Agreed, is that the same as Year 12 students or something?
Probably. Kindergarten entry is typically at age 5 in the US, and entry for grades 1 through 12 are normally at ages 6 through 17. "High school" is generally considered grades 9 through 12, and beyond that is considered higher education (university/college/technical school).

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
iMeowbot said:
Probably. Kindergarten entry is typically at age 5 in the US, and entry for grades 1 through 12 are normally at ages 6 through 17. "High school" is generally considered grades 9 through 12, and beyond that is considered higher education (university/college/technical school).
Same in NZ. I lots of countries just have different naming conventions for their school year classifcations. Ours used to be Primary ages 5-9, Intermediate ages 10-12, Secondary ages 13-17 which then changed after many years to follow the Australian "Year system" which is probably similar to the US system. The catch is that I finished secondary school in 1986 and havent followed the changes since then ;)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
this is the 2nd sign of the apocolypse (sp?), more and more schools will decide on PCs instead of macs, my old highschool used macs just "because they were better", but now it won't be that much of a cost saving measure, they may end up switching to PCs completely within the next few years, that and the head school tech guy (hardcore Apple fan since the beginning of the 80s) died of a heart attack (concidering he was in VERY good health/shape for his age) just a few days after the Apple/Intel announcement

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
SilvorX said:
this is the 2nd sign of the apocolypse (sp?), more and more schools will decide on PCs instead of macs, my old highschool used macs just "because they were better", but now it won't be that much of a cost saving measure, they may end up switching to PCs completely within the next few years, that and the head school tech guy (hardcore Apple fan since the beginning of the 80s) died of a heart attack (concidering he was in VERY good health/shape for his age) just a few days after the Apple/Intel announcement
Can we just get it tattooed somewhere or something? Nothing has changed. There never was a K-12 student discount. Where the hell did this headline come from?

Maybe the next one will read "Apple quietly drops discount for people named Fred"?

Status
Not open for further replies.