Apple raises price of MBA from Europe, why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bubulol, Mar 14, 2015.

1. bubulol macrumors 6502

Please tell me why Apple getting European price higher than usd price due to actual exchange rate
    +100 euros/150 euro for each configuration
    Are we a cash cow for Apple?
    Yes, i know Apple would lose some benefits because Euro exchange rate is in trouble
    When the exact opposite situation happened before about dollars being weaker, did Apple lower European price? :rolleyes:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While I can't speak for the Euro, Apple lowered the NZD prices multiple times as it got stronger against the USD. I'd be surprised if the same didn't happen for other currencies.

3. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

When Euro is much stronger than usd, then, Apple will apply an eur/usd parity, it does mean 1 usd = 1 eur
    usd price means without VAT right?
    I have looked every american state, still much lower than eur (VAT included)

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't like that too, but there are reasons for that:
    • The Euro is in a weak position at the moment and most experts predict that it will go down to 0,8$ till the end of the year.
    • The US prices do not include VAT, which is different from state to state. So, when comparing prices add around 10-11% for US VAT.

5. AJT-au macrumors member

AJT-au

Same thing happened in Australia, when we were at parity with the USD all our app and song prices were the same as the US and iPhones, iPads and Macs were about the same when you take the GST (10%) off. Since the AUD is weaker against the USD, we are paying $999 for the base model iPhone 6.

6. Kornelis macrumors member

Kornelis

Like Petvas said the EUR is getting weaker against the USD. Just a couple of months ago the exchange rate for one EUR was USD 1.25. Now the rate for one EUR is only around USD 1.06.

7. illusionx macrumors 6502

Apple raises price of MBA from Europe, why?

Apple did increase the price on the Canadian market. Though, given the exchange rate (about 28%) it is still cheaper to buy in Canada than exchanging US dollars and buy from across the border.

1299$ US for the nMB is about 1650$ CAD, but they sell for 1549$ CAD

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The ECB purchases a lot of assets, which decreases the value of the Euro. They "print" virtual money for these purchases.

9. newellj macrumors 601

Exactly. What's really a little shocking is that there are some sober predictions that the Euro will decline further to ~ US$ 0.80. For a variety of reasons, here's hoping it doesn't go that far.