APPLE RAM UPGRADE page offers 8GB to PRE & POST JUNE MBP 2.53ghz MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddysparks, Aug 13, 2009.

1. eddysparks macrumors newbie

I own a pre June Macbook pro 2.53Mhz. I wanted to see how much Ram i could upgrade to so i went to apples Upgrade kit pages for macbook pros before June
    http://store.apple.com/uk/memoryfamily/ME_MBP_AL_G1
    The pre June 2.53mhz Macbook pro is not listed amongst these instead it is listed amongst the current generation of post june Macbook Pros with the option to upgrade to 8GB
    http://store.apple.com/uk/memoryfamily/ME_MBP

I have talked about this with one or two friends and they have told me that a MONTH AGO the same upgrade pages USED to show the two MBP 2.53mhz seperately and say the pre june MBP 2.53ghz could only have an option to upgrade to 6GB.

Now the apple website suggests any macbook pro 2.53mhz can upgrade to 8GB. Is this a mistake by apple or have they done something to now allow 8GB in both pre and post June MBP 2.53ghz?

I dont want to buy ram from apple, im just trying to find out if Apples RAM upgrade pages are correct in leading people to think ANY macbook pro 5.23mhz can install 8GB.

2. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Good find, in the UK store it is the same too across all MBP models.
    However, I rather not pay £800 for 8GB of RAM!!!!

I would think that they have tweaked the hardware to allow later MBP models to have 8GB of RAM, excluding ones sold between October to June.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

I don't know but geez louise...

how come UK Mac prices are so high?

That is outrageous unless the pounds has dropped significantly against the dollar.

Even UK refurbs are like twice the price of US macs?

4. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

5. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Older model, different hardware configuration.
    Even the new 13" MBP @ 2.26 Ghz can have 8GB ram, which is huge for a computer that size

6. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

come on, 2.4 MBP same generation like 2.53 pre june mbp.;)

7. eddysparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheapest i have found is £450 for 2x 4GB. But all the third party RAM sites list Pre and Post JUNE MBP 2.53ghz as different, which is what lead me to ask if apple has made it possible now for PRE June MBP 2.53 mhz to upgrade to 8GB but not yet informed the other RAM outlets.

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

this has happened before, apple corrected it a week later.

they still only support 6gb

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

Whoa, on the US apple store it's showing all 2.8 GHz 15" Unibody models as able to hit 8 gigs too:

http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_15_28_MBP

If I look at the previous Macbook Pro family (the non unibodies) it lists a 2.8 GHz 15" in the family but says there is no ram available for that model--but of course AFAIK there never was a 2.8 GHz non-unibody model.

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

I should also note though--there is something amiss--there is no place where a 2.4 Unibody is listed. I could understand it not being listed in the current family as it's no longer offered (and perhaps that means that the 2.8 I was talking about above is only referring to the one currently for sale, NOT the late '08 model as well), but looking at the older families there is no listing for Unibody MBPs in the older categories; looking at the 2.4 models in the older non-unibody family, it lists 1067 DDR2 RAM, so that's definitely not a Unibody being represented there since they take DDR3.

So, where are the late '08 Unibodies? I suspect that the 2.8 etc. listed in the current family is ONLY referring the the newest unibodies currently stocked in the stores, but it makes no distinction of them being the ones with the SD slot vs. Expresscard models etc--just says 15" 2.8 models.

Peculiar...

EDIT: I'm an idiot, the 2.4 and other, older unibodies are listed further down the page--but the 2.8 model is NOT in there, so could it really be that 8GB has been opened up on ALL 2.8 models???????

11. eddysparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, so anyone who owns late08/early09 will only be offered the current range upgrades which include 8GB kit. I'm quite in my right to order an 8GB kit for my macbook pro 2.53 which i bought in march.

Is there anybody with a pre June macbook pro 2.53mhz and 8GB floating around who can test to see if Apple have done something wrong on their website or good in the last osx update?

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

Thats definitely what it looks like based on the websites. Perhaps as you said, 10.5.8 silently opened up 8 GB of RAM. Yes, we've all heard it's limited by the logic board and the Nvidia chipset revision version but I honestly think all of them can go to 8 GB on the current hardware.

All I know is if I can go to 8 gigs, I'll seriously consider throwing that and an Intel SSD at my current model rather than upgrading to a whole new machine at/around the arrandale/usb 3.0 time

13. puma1552 macrumors 601

im surprised this topic isnt generating more interest...

14. klee1987 macrumors regular

people in the uk always get ripped off by multinational companies

and don't forget there's VAT - I think it's 15% now, and will be going back up to 17.5%

15. eddysparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Because people think Apple have made a mistake on their site.... Hopefully when snow leopard is released this question of pre june MBP 2.53 upgrade to 8GB will have been resolved one way or another.

16. eddysparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Any more news on wether Installing 8GB ram in a pre june MBP 2.53 is possible?

17. imm22 macrumors regular

I'd like to know that to ...

18. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a