Apple really hit the spot with hardware/build quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris2k5, Sep 21, 2012.

1. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I am very impressed with the build quality and the hardware.

I have the 32GB Verizon model in white and Apple has the right balance between solid construction with great materials + the light weight factor.

It amazes me how they can do this while Samsung is stuck using bendy plastics to make their phones light (Galaxy S3).

2. ARSC macrumors 6502

if you see the poll there are 268 people who have out of the box scuff issues.

paying 600 pounds here

apple wake up man.

3. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

It's just appalling to me how Apple allowed the black iPhones to be so botched. Not only are they getting scuffs after opening, they have marks on them before they're even removed from the box! Did Apple not inspect any of these? Did they not test the anodizing? I preordered a black iPhone 5 because I've always wanted a black aluminum Apple product, but it looks like I'll need to wait until they can actually do it right. I'll more than likely end up buying a white iPhone 5.

4. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Love mine too! :) Hope to see more threads like this and less of the others... Although I guess everyone who loves their phone is playing with it instead of hanging out here. Sadly I'm usually only active on MacRumors right *before* an iPhone release for that reason....

5. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

Yet Apple appears to be having terrible QC problems. Everything from brand new iPhones with scuffs and dents to yellow screens to LTE and Wifi issues. Samsung had none of these with a huge SIII release. That plastic also holds up much better than the iPhone in drop tests too.

6. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

268 out of 7 million. ;)

7. formerpc macrumors 6502

I'm loving it too! It's amazing how far they've come from the original iPhone. Refinement after refinement it's hard to imagine how they could make it better. (I have a flawless white 5, fwiw)

8. JoshObra macrumors regular

Not all 7 million have MacRumors accounts or cares to vote.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I went to the apple store (fashion valley mall) and 1 out of 3 phones had significant scuffs, scratches, dings, seams that weren't smooth around the edges, etc..

The phone is definitely beautiful but the quality is kind of lacking.

10. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Are you being sarcastic?

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

are u talking about the display models? If so, it is expected.

12. chris2k5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What drop tests are you watching?

The new iPhone 5 didn't have much body damage and the screen didn't crack while the Samsung Galaxy S3 had a lot of cracked plastic and glass.

13. Foxykhat macrumors member

ROFL and how do you know that tests were done? I think we could be jumping to conclusion based on posts from people who could be making stuff up just for fun. Or just to be picky.

Every time an apple product comes out you have all sort of issues. Not saying all are not warranted. Still the good more often outweigh the bad. And it may not be Apple per se that have dropped the ball but some employee who did not stick to the requirements.

And this we know for sure, HOW??? I doubt any manufacturer have ALL perfect items. And I'm not just talking about phones. BTW I saw the drop tests. I guess what you saw were ALL iphone5!

Foxy

14. Preed08 macrumors regular

I understand what he is saying. The plastic doesn't dent like the metal, although the glass may break compared to the iPhone.

15. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

There are so many variables that would give you different results in a so called "drop test".

If I see a drop test that compares about 10 phones of each on the same surface. Then maybe its gives it more credit.

These reviewers thank you for your pages views though!

16. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

Exactly. Plus, the iPhone screen would have cracked too if it hit the ground at the same angle. They both use Gorilla Glass

17. chris2k5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The plastic cracks...

18. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yeah, no surprise there. However, the color fading near the seams on the outer band and uneven seams where the glass and aluminum meet up on the back of the phones shouldn't be there.

It had only been 9 hours of use. Imagine what these phones will look like in a week? month?

19. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

+1

I am blown away by the build quality and overall feeling in the hand of the iPhone 5 from the thinness to the weight of it. Apple has really outdone themselves here. I love my black 32GB iPhone 5. :)

20. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

You're trying to tell me that they shipped out an entire batch of these without checking at least a few of them to make sure everything was what it was supposed to be? You're trying to tell me that they created their anodizing process without actually trying out the end result? I've seen tons of people with pictures of their iPhones with scuffs straight out the box, people aren't making this up.

21. chris2k5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks pretty isolated to me. I saw maybe 40 people claim to have this issue. Only 6-8 posted pictures...

22. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

Are you in denial? This thread is enormous and its only the first day of sales LOL

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445493

23. Foxykhat macrumors member

And you're trying to tell me they didn't run tests? I'm sure they did. Maybe someone or a number of persons messed up and covered up a bad batch or bad batches. It's known to happen. Some people will show more care than some in dealing with their jobs.

I'm by no means saying that the phones with the issues had the right to be shipped, but people act like "OH MY GOD APPLE" no longer cares. This has never happened anywhere else.

We also don't know what sort on handling they went through to receive the scratches etc.

I had a whole Samsung TV deliver with crack in the plasma and could not get it exchange because no one would take responsibility. But I'm sure this packaging was probably assured by some employee to be in order yet it wasn't. These things UNFORTUNATELY happens.

24. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I have never owned a phone that arrived with a scratched screen. Thanks Apple

25. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

This iPhone 5 is a pleasure to hold. It feels so much thinner and lighter than any other phone I've had, even thought the actual dimensions and weight seem negligible on paper. The colors of the black version are just great-looking.

I had no quality control issues, and I may just be one of a lucky few, but I'm really thrilled with this phone's look and feel, as well as with its functionality.