Apple Refreshes Mac Pro Lineup, Says All-New Modular Model With Apple-Branded Pro Displays Coming After 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2017.

1. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

Because.... 'innovation' I guess. :(

The argument I keep hearing, is that we're just not the target market for Apple any longer. I guess we'll see what the Mac Pro is like, but it sure seems this is true. The new MBP, iMac Pro, etc. seem designed for a different kind of pro user than in the past.

I've said this before.... but Pro used to be a quality about the machine. It was professional grade hardware. More fault tolerant, better cooling, better components, faster, etc. Now, it seems to have to do more with an upper-class categorization of user. You know, it's the model for the entrepreneur or lawyer instead of the student or home user. In other words, someone with more money, likely to buy an up-sell.

Or, marketing driven vs purpose driven.

2. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Why? It was a 'cheap fix'. They just popped a different socket on the board, and maybe rerouted a few things, and probably (hopefully) put in some larger heat sinks and fans, and TA-DAH! A 'new iMac Pro Machine' that all pros everywhere should be salivating over and beating down the doors to get.

It's obviously a bandaid and it's not a very well fitting one at that. And the price? 5k for a black iMac with a souped up processor? Either they think people are that gullible, or they think that this 'hybrid' is going to knock down a lot of sales of people unhappy with the 'trash can' (ironic?) Mac Pro.

Like the G4 Cube, this appears to be another machine that came out of the design shop with little outside input to rate functionality, usability, cost of ownership, with practicality. It 'looks' nice. It's just not been maintained, and built with more usability inside. Oh, and expensive, even for Apple.

So, throw a CLOSED trash can at people. Fail to update it. Declare it dead. Come up with another CLOSED box, even more CLOSED than the trash can. Who doesn't have much hope the 'new new Mac Pro' will be anything other than yet another CLOSED box. Maybe another 'pretty' CLOSED box?

I like my behemoth 2009 Mac Pro. It's still got a lot of life left in it (I hope). Give the users something EXPANDABLE, UPGRADABLE, USABLE...

This morning, I was going through the Wikipedia articles on the Mac II line, and the stories of Apple missteps and self inflicted wounds are cringe worthy. One model was only 'available' for less than 4 months. They had slower models selling for more than faster models. They had machines spec'ed with faster processors than when they were finally shipped, and the prices didn't change. That happened largely under Sculley. Yikes...

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't understand the venom towards the iMac Pro when Apple has made it very clear that a new MAC PRO is coming soon. For video editing the iMac Pro is going to be a dream, the folks at ESPN (my previous employer) LOVED the 5K display iMacs and used them every day. Now they get that PLUS more power than any Mac ever has.....what's there to bitch about? If the iMac Pro isn't for you, it's very likely given Apple's hugely public mea culpa, that the Mac Pro will be.

4. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

At least the 'trash can' was great in many pro dimensions, that I wonder if this will be. It just wasn't what part of the pro market was asking for or needed. But, in it's own category, a great machine. I wonder about the iMac Pro though.

I really think - now - that TB3 is finally fast enough to put something serious external (at least one or two things... not a bunch of expansion yet) that the 'trash can' design is viable. I'd actually keep that design and update it. They could get away with less GPU internally, and add some externally. I'd also bring out something more akin to the 2009 (which I think they just declared obsolete), as there is a segment of pros who'd much rather just have something like that again.

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Yes, but...

Apple made the announcement that the New Mac Pro was going to be the 'best computer for professionals'. 'Powerful', yadda yadda yadda... IF it only lived up to the lofty claims of the obviously star blinded Apple PR team.

Was it amazing? Yes. Was it innovative? Yes. Was it powerful? At first. Was it for professional users? Some. It was expensive, and relied, for true 'professional' users, the addition of lots of expensive attachments. It placed this 'trash can' out of reach for the majority of pro, and semipro, users that have the old Mac Pro, and thought they could get into the New Mac Pro.

But whatever... I hope Apple did 'get religion', and comes up with a machine that can satisfy the people they burned with the 'New Mac Pro', and then abandoned. Perhaps the iMac Pro is aimed at the 'semi-pro' users, but the possibility if it being noisy and hot could make it another missed attempt at keeping another vital class of users in the Apple family. I know that my iMac makes a hell of a racket when its fans are running. If the iMac Pro has loud fans, it's going to be a non-starter for a number of prospective users. Those that can afford the entry price.

But, why the venom?

Because it appears that the iMac Pro is a band-aid. A rushed job to try to stem the rush of some of their users to other platforms after being burned by the heavily inaccurate statements of the New Mac Pro, and Apple all but abandoning it under all those users.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You think the IMac Pro was cobbled together in a week? It was clearly meant to be Apple's replacement for the Mac Pro all along. The backlash clearly got them to trot back on this plan somewhat, so it looks like users will be getting both.

7. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

If the iMac Pro was meant to replace the Mac Pro... then Apple was incredibly off-base and out of touch. I'm not sure how anyone could see it as a successor to the Mac Pro.

But, anyway, what I don't get is why Apple feels the need to 'innovate' once again, especially when they are so far behind. If they took the 'cheese grater' and 'cylinder' Mac Pros and simply upgraded the guts to the latest and greatest... while they might not win any new design awards, I'll bet pros would be thrilled. I know I would.

And, that should take them all of a few weeks!

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

It would not be that hard to take a CAD design for a motherboard and add a different socket, some different power bits, add different heat sinks and fans, and say it's 'new'. Really... The iMac Pro was the result of 'flop sweat' over having to admit they crapped on 'pro users', and don't have a thing to offer those that want to bolt. AND at that, they preannounced it too soon.

9. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

But it comes in space gray... so it’s a Pro right?

Crapped on the pro users they did. They’re more interested in getting content deals done than the tools that help create and speed up content and push the limits of content creation...

10. albebaubles macrumors regular

albebaubles

Not clear at all, actually. Or better put, only clear to you.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I saw this picture floating around on twitter some time back and it suddenly made perfect sense.

[​IMG]

12. vailr macrumors member

vailr

Here's an idea: offer a "Mac Pro Bitcoin Miner" with 8 or 10 PCIe slots, and durable enough to run 24/7/365 as a video production machine in the daytime, and as a Bitcoin miner after work hours.
    One could install 4x GTX Titan X video cards, for live streaming 8k video content, or fill up all 8 or 10 PCIe slots for Bitcoin mining.
    User's choice.

13. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

Heh. Though I don't think there's any money in mining Bitcoin any longer for most of us. :)