Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added refurbished iMac Pro models to its online store for the first time in the United States and Canada.

refurbished-imac-pro-800x565.jpeg

A selection of 8-core, 10-core, and 18-core configurations are available with various storage, memory, and graphics options, priced between $4,249 and $8,159 in the United States, reflecting savings of 15 percent. All of the refurbished configurations are currently available with next-day delivery.

The base model iMac Pro with a 3.2GHz eight-core Intel Xeon W processor, 32GB of DDR4 ECC memory, 1TB of SSD storage, and Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics is available for $4,249, for example, compared to $4,999 brand new.

Apple released the iMac Pro in December 2017 as a powerful, top-of-the-line workstation designed for professional users with demanding workflows, such as advanced video and graphics editing, virtual reality content creation, and real-time 3D rendering. Benchmarks have proven it is by far the fastest Mac ever.

The all-in-one desktop workstation has a 27-inch Retina 5K display within a sleek Space Gray enclosure, and can be configured with up to an 18-core Intel Xeon processor, up to 4TB of SSD storage, up to 128GB of ECC RAM, and up to an AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 graphics processor with 16GB of HBM2 memory.

Apple says all refurbished iMac Pro models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a new box and all manuals and accessories, including a Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad and Magic Mouse 2 in Space Gray. Apple's refurbished products are generally indistinguishable from brand new ones.

Any refurbished iMac Pro model comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the computer is delivered. The warranty can be extended to up to three years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for iMac, at a cost of $169 in the United States, but the plan is unavailable in Canada.

All in all, customers can save between $750 and $1,440 on an iMac Pro, but better deals are sometimes offered by third-party resellers. Micro Center stores, for example, have twice offered $1,000 off the base model iMac Pro.

(Thanks, Alex!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished iMac Pro Models at 15% Discount

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
At those prices, refurbished or not, on sale or not, you either need to be making money from the machine or have disposable funds to justify the expense. Great product. Great performance regardless of the lack of upgradability. But this is a niche market machine that most of us have no justification for.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
At those prices, refurbished or not, on sale or not, you either need to be making money from the machine or have disposable funds to justify the expense. Great product. Great performance regardless of the lack of upgradability. But this is a niche market machine that most of us have no justification for.

It's almost as if the iMac Pro is targeted at pros or something...

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
At those prices, refurbished or not, on sale or not, you either need to be making money from the machine or have disposable funds to justify the expense.

I am pissed that my iMac Mid-2011 27" (3.4 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM) just had a graphic card failure, but because the model just a few weeks ago got classified as "vintage", authorized Apple service partners are not allowed to service it, and there are few or virtually no spare parts.

Mind you that my iMac costed about 3000 USD at purchase and the specs are still quite good. The computer could still have tangible value, but because Apple has made sure that it's obsolete, the value pretty much is zero.

While I knew that iMacs are pretty much non-upgradeable, I didn't know that they would also be non-repairable.

If you make a hefty surplus by using an iMac Pro (which I'm sure is the intent), and you are willing to throw it away in 7 years, feel free to invest. But I'm never buying an iMac again, frankly. Maybe a Mac Pro.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
even if you have money to burn, spending 4k and up having the hardware be outdated within 2 years is still unjustifiable

Sure. But if you have money to make it could be a winner. Depends what it's being used for. I'm sure anyone who's in the graphics industry crunches the numbers before buying it to see if it would be beneficial. And don't forget companies depreciate equipment so the true cost is likely less than what is paid or felt to an individual.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
even if you have money to burn, spending 4k and up having the hardware be outdated within 2 years is still unjustifiable

How long until the iPhone is priced at "4K and up"?

And I'm not joking (much) about that, knowing that all the (pricing) whining will be followed by dragging out of bed at 3am to try to be first to spend $4K and up for one.

Reactions: nvmls

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
Even with disposable funds, I could never justify spending that $ for iMac Pro

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Apple claimed to spend 6 years developing HomePod and look how freaking great that product came out. May even be able to pair 2 for "stereo like" sound soon. ;)

And to think this was a company that only took 10 months to create the first imac and I think a very similar time frame on the ipod 1st gen. 2-3 years on the first iPhone.... The drive just isn't there anymore for the mac.

DrKarl

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Montana
And yet still no announcement for when Apple will fix the software bugs with the iMac Pro that have been continuously reported on Apple's own forums. Crashes, kernel panics, sleep issues, screen brightness issues, problems with external monitors and with external TB storage. Even delivering the pre-installed High Sierra that is corrupt with console error messages that are only eliminated by totally re-installing the OS! One response online is "the next major MacOS release" - which would be this fall. How pitiful that Apple cannot make urgent software patches for stability a top priority for their highest priced Pro machine! How many companies have put off purchase because of this?

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
fail gpu like mac pro 2013.....
[doublepost=1527177394][/doublepost]
And yet still no announcement for when Apple will fix the software bugs with the iMac Pro that have been continuously reported on Apple's own forums. Crashes, kernel panics, sleep issues, screen brightness issues, problems with external monitors and with external TB storage. Even delivering the pre-installed High Sierra that is corrupt with console error messages that are only eliminated by totally re-installing the OS! One response online is "the next major MacOS release" - which would be this fall. How pitiful that Apple cannot make urgent software patches for stability a top priority for their highest priced Pro machine! How many companies have put of purchase because of this?
That's because Apple suckered you.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
Sure. But if you have money to make it could be a winner. Depends what it's being used for. I'm sure anyone who's in the graphics industry crunches the numbers before buying it to see if it would be beneficial. And don't forget companies depreciate equipment so the true cost is likely less than what is paid or felt to an individual.

For Development in Unity, Cinema4D, SubstanceDesigner... a cheap PC with a good video card will out pace the Mac on drivers alone (Mac support in professional 3D development tools are nowhere near as mature/robust/fast as the PC counterparts), but that cost/performance ratio is a hard pill to swallow - I can't see anyone justifying the iMac Pro except for gamers... even then, buy a console. It KILLS ME to say this, but Apple did this to us, Tim Cook doesn't give a crap about the desktop.

sorry for the rant, but this is a sore point like a blistered foot.

Reactions: stevekr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.