Apple Refurbs - Missed the boat, and now out of stock. Will it come back?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GodWhomIsMike, Jun 29, 2009.

1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I had a Late-2008 15" Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz model sitting in my shopping cart on Apple. I sat on it for a few hours to debate about spending $1699 on a laptop, and came back, and Apple made that decision for me by selling it out.

What are the chances of it coming back in stock? Looking at either the 2.53 GHz model or the 2.8 GHz models with the 512MB 9600M GT video.

I'm on a limited budget, and the current model with the dedicated graphics is out of my ballpark. The 2.8GHz is really pushing the limits for me.

Also, I want to buy it from Apple, so that I can get the 1 year warranty and also buy the Applecare at the academic pricing. Not interested in a out-of-warranty eBay or craigslist firesale.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just keep checking everyday and it will show up again.

3. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, the $1449 late-2008 2.53 GHz 15" MBP shows back up soon. That was definitely within my budget, and easier to digest financially.

4. xeddyx macrumors newbie

Call'em up on the phone - that's what I did when I was in the same situation and they told me they did had the Macbook Pro I wanted in stock.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Look at Amazon. I think I saw some older models there recently. And depending where you live, it is probably cheaper than buying from Apple with an edu discount. (computer and applecare)

In CA, everything at Amazon is 9.5% off all the time!!!!

6. Nintenmac macrumors newbie

For the 2.53 MBP, a friend of mine just got that model refurbished a week ago and they said when they ordered it over the phone the representative told her that it was the last one they had... hopefully that was just a marketing strategy for your case, GodWhomIsMike.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

They replenish stock all the time. I remember seeing them just this morning.

8. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. boston44 macrumors 6502

Yeah, they only release a select few per day/few days. Don't settle- both of those computers are coming back. If you want the cheaper of the two, wait three days at most.

10. saturnino3 macrumors member

I did not notice where the OP is located, but when I lived on the East Coast I would check the refurb section around 9-10 AM EST (6-7 AM PST).

This allowed me catch the largest assortment of Macs with the added bonus of having some of them shipped out the same day I ordered them!

Good luck to the OP finding their desired MBP.

11. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Yeah, that's the sweet spot, IMO. There has been a $1350 2.4 MBP up pretty consistently. I was lusting after that for awhile. But when I saw the 2.53 for $1450, I knew that was the one. I mean, comparing the two, it's a no-brainer:

faster processor
    double system RAM
    double vRAM
    bigger HD

I'd say wait it out and get the 2.53. Good luck man. If I was buying (and not window shopping) that's the one I'd grab.

12. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I assume save the extra $250 the 2.8 costs, and stick with the 2.53 GHz?

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Depends on what you wish to do with it; if money is tight, the extra spec might not be necessary, but in general buy the best you can afford.

However, refurbs are frequently replenished as has already been pointed out by others on this thread, so if you keep your eyes open, I don't imagine you'll have a difficulty obtaining one/

Cheers and good luck

14. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

Called them, after 20 minutes of the guy looking on the Apple website, instead of their inventory systems, and sounded like he had no idea of their product line, I finally got the "keep checking the refurb page to see when it comes back."

I was pretty annoyed I wasted that much time on the phone, but this thread offered me some relief that it was sold out:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=731162

Maybe it's for the better? That thread has me second thinking. $1500 is a major commitment for me, and to buy something that will cause me headaches and grief, and have something unreliable leaves me feeling very iffy.