Apple refused to replace iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac7, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

So I have a white iPhone 5, there is a slight gap on the top and right between the screen and band. I was told that this is on par with other iPhones. There's also a small ding on the bottom near the lightening port. With all this apple refused to replace the iPhone

I'm also having battery issues. This is a Verizon iPhone so I'm using it with tmobile and I'm being told that using tmobile is causing my battery issue.

Is there anything I can do about this?

2. gdrag14 macrumors member

Get an AppleCare+, 99$, then pay 49$ for a replacement, if you really think a new one is worth it.

I'm not sure about the battery problem, though.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Re: the battery issue, that's the first I've heard that assertion. But if it's true, then I would assume it's likely the same across all Verizon phones, so I'm not sure how effective a replacement would be.

As far as the other issues. I'd say try to go to a different store or at least try to speak with someone else.

4. jedi74 macrumors regular

make up a lie and say the phone just gets too hot or something - they will replace it then :D

5. misterjay macrumors regular

Go back and demand a new iPhone. Seriously. Lite them up.

I'm planning to go tomorrow to get it replaced because my WiFi signal on this phone is completely garbage and not to mention, the power button is so low that it's about to get stuck inside the phone.

If I dont get one, there'll be some problems.
    Go back and demand to speak to the manager and mention that others who have had the same problem got their phone replaced

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

On what ground? If they won't replace it as is, what makes you think they'll replace it with AC+?

OP can always return it for full refund.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Then demand a full refund and buy another iPhone 5.

8. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Call 1800-MY-APPLE instead. I found them to be more accommodating than some of the store employees. There's definitely a difference in the quality of support between the stores and the phone support folks.

My local store is pretty good, but they have this tendency to indirectly try to blame the customer in these cases.

For example, when I went on Monday to get mine swapped out, the customer in front of me was getting hers swapped out also.

Customer: I'd like to swap my phone for a new one
    apple guy: What's wrong with it?
    Customer: It was dented here [points to various spots on the bezel] when I first opened it
    apple guy: Are you sure? When did you get it?
    Customer: Yes I'm sure. I just opened it yesterday
    apple guy: Did you carry it around in your pocket with keys?
    Customer: I carry it in this pouch (shows him a silk bag) in my handbag. I don't wear pants with pockets. [At this point, I start laughing at the apple guy]
    apple guy: OK, I'll be right back

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Did you buy the phone through Verizon or are you saying it's just a verizon phone (bought from apple)?

Verizon will swap your phone out under the "worry free" guarantee. You have 14 days. Just call them and explain what's going on.

If you bought it thru apple (which I'm thinking you did) just call the help line.

10. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Sure I would love to return it, wait 2-3 days for the funds to be returned to my bank account. Then wait a couple weeks until they have enough in stock to sell without reservations

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

You asked for suggestions/solutions. You get a legitimate idea presented to you and you're going to be snide and sarcastic in your response?

:confused:

----------

It's a legitimate idea.

Ask to speak to a MANAGER and repeat your story... should you run into the same roadblock, kindly ask to return the device as it's not meeting your needs. I'm sure they would rather swap it out for you once again than have to go through the hastle of a return.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You could show up in the morning and if they have enough stock that exceeds the reservations then you shouldn't have a problem swapping it out. You're within the 14 day return period, they have no choice unless you threw it at a wall or took it for a swim.

13. nitemare macrumors regular

have them put the refund on a gift card so that way u have the money on hand, u cant spend it somewhere else and u dont have to wait for the funds to be refunded to your card. thats what i did to return my 32 for a 64

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

exactly you have 14 days

15. jedi74 macrumors regular

30 days

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

oh okay. i thought i heard after 14 days you get a restocking fee?

17. iParis, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I guess that's true! I didn't know until now that it was different for iPhones! Then we all have until at least October 21st to stop our b*tching.

No restocking fee anymore.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Hm.. It says iPhones that are purchased online are illegible to be returned to an Apple retail store, though I'm pretty sure I've heard of people successfully doing so and the site also says "Items ordered on the U.S. Apple Online Store that arrived damaged or are incorrect can be returned to any U.S. Apple Retail Store."

18. DavidFongs macrumors newbie

Which Apple Store in the MPLS area did you go to? I had two scuffs on my iPhone 5 out of the box, brought it in to the uptown apple store yesterday, and they replaced it immediately with a perfect new one.

19. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Much better idea to pay with your credit card - most have protections built in such as :

- 90 day protection against theft, breakage, accidents, etc
    - 1 year extra extended hardware warranty on top of Apple's 1 year

20. nitemare macrumors regular

if u got the refund on a gift card the original purchase is still credited to the card so u would still have that protection

21. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

Damn people are getting dumber by the hour sigh.. How stupid do you have to be to know that Apple doesn't support AT&T and going to the store with a t mobile iphone is probably the second dumbest thing you can do next to taking a jailbroken iphone

22. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

Wow, way to be an ****** for someone giving you an idea.

23. iParis, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Now you're making yourself look like the incompetent one. Allow me to call you out on several points. First: Apple doesn't support AT&T? That doesn't make sense. Are you saying they won't support you if bring in an AT&T iPhone? Second: Apple still has the obligation (depending on warranty status, of course) to service your phone no matter the carrier. Third: The poster's iPhone isn't jailbroken. There isn't even a public jailbreak for the iPhone 5 or hell, even an untethered one for iOS 6. Fourth: He wouldn't even need to jailbreak it to unlock it for T-Mobile's network. The OP has a CDMA Verizon iPhone, which comes unlocked. Try not to be so ignorant before you post in the future.

EDIT: After reading through your post again I noticed you might not have exactly been implying you thought his phone was jailbroken, but most of my points still stand. Hell, you can go into an Apple Store with an iPhone that doesn't have service and they'll still service you based on warranty status.

EDIT 2: I didn't mean to sound that mean! D: