Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechCrunch notes that Apple has rejected Google's official Google Voice iPhone application. Apple has also begun disabling and pulling all applications that take advantage of Google Voice functionality, claiming that they "duplicate features that come with the iPhone". A Google spokesperson confirmed Apple's rejection of the official application.
We work hard to bring Google applications to a number of mobile platforms, including the iPhone. Apple did not approve the Google Voice application we submitted six weeks ago to the Apple App Store. We will continue to work to bring our services to iPhone users -- for example, by taking advantage of advances in mobile browsers.
The report notes that AT&T is certainly the most likely force behind Apple's rejection of Google Voice, given the service's tools that provide free texting and reduce some of the barriers to switching carriers. However, Phil Schiller himself had reportedly given his personal blessing to the official Google Voice application, leading Google to believe that approval of the application would be a straightforward process.
Here's another testament to just how ridiculous this move is: GV Mobile's developer Sean Kovacs says that the app was personally approved last April by Phil Schiller, Apple's senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing -- the man who often takes the stage during Apple keynotes when Steve Jobs isn't around. Kovacs says that Schiller called him to personally apologize for the delay in initially getting the application approved. Now, I'm sure Apple has laid out in its terms of service somewhere that you're not allowed to mimic the iPhone's functionality. But when you've got a blessing from that high up, that would seem like a pretty good indication that the application belongs in the App Store.
This is the second setback for Google in its quest to bring its tools to the iPhone within the past week. Last week, Google launched Google Latitude for the iPhone and iPod touch, a service that allows users to track their friends' locations in real-time, as a web application after Apple rejected a native version of the application "in order to avoid confusion with Maps on the iPhone".

Article Link: Apple Rejects Official Google Voice iPhone Application

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
It's time for apple to dump AT&T.

Apple has a big enough customer base in the mobile market to offer their own data plan.

I would be willing to pay $100 a month for unlimited data. With google voice, you wouldn't need extra charges for texting and long distance. There would be no "mobile-to-mobile" bs.

Flat rate plans with no hidden charges. AT&T sucks the life out you. It's shameful and disturbing. AT&T is the epitome of capitalism at its worst.

owensd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
If Apple doesn't pull their head out, another phone that has better app store will really start their business.

unsunder

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2005
illinois
Unbelievable. Google developing an app was our only hoping of having push integrated.They also pulled the GV Mobile app.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
This is awful and the reasons for rejection are also awful.

1. You can get this app on a Blackberry on AT&T.

2. You can send SMS for free any number of ways already (AIM, the Google Voice Web Page, any number of apps).

Edit: apparently there was an unofficial app pulled and the official app was rejected. I was not aware there was an unofficial app available. And I am sorry I did not. Hopefully, something will be released for jailbroken iPhones. That will be the first compelling reason, for me, to jailbreak.

And send feedback to Apple. I did.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Unbelievable. Google developing an app was our only hoping of having push integrated.They also pulled the GV Mobile app.

I am confused. Doesn't this article refer to the GV Mobile app? Or was there another one?

Also, is Apple going to pay for the wasted development time since they backed out on their promise?

ArtursBoy

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
AZ
This would surely help Apple and Google stand their ground against the FTC and their ongoing investigation for unfair collaboration and possible violation of antitrust laws

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Time to buy an Android phone if you want a bit of freedom ;)

What a farce.

You said it. Or a WebOS phone. When my contract is up in oct 2011, there should be great progress in both platforms. And I would have to believe they will take advantage of the many situations like this that have come up. I know I am certainly frustrated by this. Imagine if Apple did this for Mac software?

I will be carefully examining all the options when the time comes.

Don't blame at&t. They can't be the scapegoat on everything, just because we hate them. apple is to blame here; they pulled the trigger. We all know that Apple is typically the one bullying others into doing what they want, not the ones being bullied on. They may have had a bit of pressure from at&t but so what? At this point at&t is desperately trying to win back apple for an extended contract, so there's no reason for apple to give in to things.

Apple is just bitter because Google was their friend and now they have android (which as time goes on will only get scarier and scarier) and they have just announced an OS to be released next year. Apple is saying "WTF google, I thought we were friends." Now google is getting the cold shoulder. Apple isn't a company I would want to cross.

I think it's ridiculous the reasons apps get rejected. I don't have a problem rejecting things if they are complete crap or could hurt the hardware (I always thought that was the point of approval). Now apple is using that ability to stifle competition, block what they consider "inappropriate" content, and to make life easier on at&t and itself.

Let the free market decide if google voice is a replacement or improvement to the iphone's features. Get off your ego trip.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Unlike some, I don't see this as "censorship" or anything like that - it's apple's store and they can disallow whatever they like. I just think they're playing with fire here because while they're not going to lose customers over some of the utter crap that's been rejected in the past, some potential buyers will take note of things like this that are available on other platforms and not the iphone.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
After successfully finding reasons to avoid saying this ever since I bought the 1st gen iPhone, I'm out of 'em now.

Apple and AT&T suck. They just suck a little less than their competition, and they have a bipartite monopoly (huh?) on a nice product.

Want to change this? Really? Stop using your iPhone. Have it removed from your account, and stop paying for the data plan. Don't buy the next one.

Yeah...thought so. Me neither. :eek:

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Naive people.....

It's time for apple to dump AT&T.

Apple has a big enough customer base in the mobile market to offer their own data plan.

I would be willing to pay $100 a month for unlimited data. With google voice, you wouldn't need extra charges for texting and long distance. There would be no "mobile-to-mobile" bs.

Flat rate plans with no hidden charges. AT&T sucks the life out you. It's shameful and disturbing. AT&T is the epitome of capitalism at its worst.

Do you really think Verizon (or any other carrier) would have allowed this?

Get real people.

Oskee2001

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I guess i'm missing the point here, but what exactly was the benefit of Google Voice? You could talk on it? Can't you already do that on the iphone itself? Talk plans are pretty cheap, so what's the point? you could text on GV? I have a 1500 text plan that i never go over 300 on. So where's the benefit there?

And I know people love to dump on AT&T, but they are a business and they are out to make money, after all.

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Does Apple really believe their customers are that dumb???!!!???

:mad:

how can we possibly mix up Google Latitude with Maps?:rolleyes:

If the iPhone customers spontaneously become that dumb, we deserve to have our iPhones confiscated.

Rejecting Voice and dictating that Latitude should be a web app is the kind of behavior that encourages the Jailbreak community.

Keep up the good work, App Store Goons.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
I guess i'm missing the point here, but what exactly was the benefit of Google Voice? You could talk on it? Can't you already do that on the iphone itself? Talk plans are pretty cheap, so what's the point? you could text on GV? I have a 1500 text plan that i never go over 300 on. So where's the benefit there?

And I know people love to dump on AT&T, but they are a business and they are out to make money, after all.

This is irrelevant unless it was rejected for offering no benefit--and there are tons of apps that would fall into that category. Quite a few users on this forum clearly see a benefit and Apple is stifling innovation.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC

How much does that 1500 text plan cost you? Is it less than the $0 that Google charges? And sure talk plans are cheap, but again... is it less than the $0 that Google charges?

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
gotta love companies standing in the way of Progress for the end user...

we always lose out on innovation so that companies can make a buck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.