Apple release date of unlocked AT&T iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ABC5S, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Anyone remember when Apple sold the unlocked iphone 5 after the initial release last year to gauge when the iphone 5S unlocked will be sold by Apple.

Thanks ;)

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

there already is an unlocked 5S , the verizon one

3. ABC5S thread starter Suspended

ABC5S

Yes, but I'm waiting for Apple to unlock the AT&T version, but please do not ask me why. :D

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

They already sell the unlocked one. It's the one that comes with a tmobile sim.

5. ABC5S thread starter Suspended

ABC5S

Though the Verizon one is unlocked, I must get the phone via Apple online store (Unable nor want to drive lots of miles to the Apple store), than exchange the sim card, than go call Verizon, and make sure I still have my old upgrade date intact on my other phone which I will keep/same number. I don't want any hassles, and I just want to purchase the AT&T verizon unlocked straight from Apple online. No middle man :D

Does this make sense ? Don't laugh. I mean I really, really do not want to go to the Apple Store, but to do it right online.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe it's usually a month or two before the unlocked, sim free iPhone is released--if that's what you mean. The sim free 5C is already out.

7. ABC5S thread starter Suspended

ABC5S

Thank you barkomatic. That is what I thought but was not sure. :D (5S)

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Why don't you purchase the T-Mobile one? It's exactly the same as the ATT model, but unlocked if purchased through Apple.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Just buy the T-Mobile version. It is 100% the same as the AT&T version is if you unlock it. If you buy it from Apple(.com or store) it's unlocked, just don't buy it at a T-Mobile store. I bought mine from Apple.com on release day and just dropped in my AT&T sim without any issue.

Edit: wait a minute .... are you saying you want too use it on Verizon? AT&T/T-Mo version won't work whether it is locked or unlocked on VZW.

10. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Order the T-Mobile version from the Apple online store. It is unlocked.

11. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Not necessarily true, please see this handy chart from this great thread by Satnam.
    [​IMG]

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

from what i know, unlocked iphones are for GSM models only.

13. emseven macrumors regular

You are mistaken. The Verizon iPhone 5s unlocked is the MOST UNLOCKED 5s.

It works on every GSM LTE/3G/Edge Band on Earth as well as Verizon in the US. It will work with AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon SIM for $649.

14. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile version are all the same model. Except Verizon will not activate a phone not purchased for their network. So they will not add it to your account.

15. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

No, that's not strictly true. The hardware and thus, model number, is identical however only the Verizon units have CDMA support enabled in the radio baseband. An AT&T/T-Mobile iPhone will be data-only on Verizon until VoLTE (and even that's assuming Apple upgrades iOS to support VoLTE on already sold iPhones, which may or may not happen)

16. ABC5S, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

ABC5S thread starter Suspended

ABC5S

T-Mobil data is not as good as AT&T's in my area. AT&T gives me 3 GB of data for the same price as Verizons 2 GB plan. So a no go for them. I want AT&T unlocked phone, and will wait it out until it is offered. Thanks for the input guys ;)

Edited: Checked T-Mobil's site, and for what they offer (2.5 GB of data) they are still a little bit higher than AT&T. AT&T gives me a senior citizen discount for $29.99 / 200 minutes, and 3 GB data = $ 60.00 per month not including tax/fee's. I'll stick with the AT&T's unlocked phone when it it offered

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You OBVIOUSLY did not understand my post.

The T-Mobile version ordered from the Apple website IS UNLOCKED! The AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones are the exact same model. They work fully on both networks. If you buy the T-Mobile version from the Apple website it will work with any GSM carrier including AT&T. There is no reason for you to wait. Order it and use it with your AT&T SIM.

18. lke macrumors 6502a

They say in this site that if you buy an att iphone for the full price when you connect it to your computer after making a restore it is also going to be unlocked.

19. ABC5S thread starter Suspended

ABC5S

Buy phone, find and purchase SIM, Cancel t-mobil voice/data plan and that's it ?

20. Coleman2010, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

ABC5S said he wanted to order from the apple website not buy it device only in store. That means his option is the T-Mobile version which is sold unlocked on Apple's site.

He's not understanding that the AT&T and T-Mobile version are the same model phone and works on both networks. (Or choosing not to understand.)

----------

The T-Mobile version is sold on Apple's website unlocked without a calling plan. There is nothing to cancel. Order the phone, put in your AT&T SIM when it arrives and turn on the phone. You're done.

21. ABC5S thread starter Suspended

ABC5S

Alright then, is this how it works

1. Buy T-Mobil phone

2. Go to AT&T store, and get a SIM

3. Activate

Correct ?

Thank you Coleman. Much clearer. Your other post indicating towards the end a AT&T sim was overlooked by be. Sorry

Edited: One other question which concerned me was the T-Moble logo on the iphone. Guess not, right

22. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

That's all you need to do. If you read the fine print on the T-Mobile version it tells you it's contract free and GSM unlocked.

Throw out the T-Mobile SIM provided and use your AT&T SIM.

Attached Files:

23. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't allow carrier branding on their iphones, so you won't see TMobile (or any carrier) on them.

24. ABC5S thread starter Suspended

ABC5S

Thanks to the above two posters. Much appreciated.

25. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

No problem.