Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the iOS 12.2 update that was introduced following Apple's services-focused "It's Show Time" event, Apple has also debuted a new 12.2 software update designed for the HomePod.

The new HomePod software will be installed automatically on the HomePod after you update to iOS 12.2, but you can also manually update and check your software version by following the instructions in our HomePod software how to.

homepod-duo-800x457.jpg

According to the release notes for the update, the new software for the HomePod is minor in scale and designed specifically for university or enterprise users.
iOS 12.2 includes support for joining most enterprise or university campus 802.1x networks that do not require unique credentials to join.
There are no other features that appear to be included in the HomePod update. Right now, the HomePod is available in the United States, UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Mexico, China, and Hong Kong. For more details, make sure to check out our HomePod roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases New 12.2 Software for the HomePod

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This is the first HomePod update that I can recall using delta update. 419 MB download from 12.1.3.

Reactions: dabotsonline

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
HomePod is useless without Bluetooth support,I really don’t understand the reasoning why Airpods support bluetooth but not HomePod?

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
Until they fix the personal requests issue my speaker is nothing more than a glorified speakerphone.

Reactions: zchrykng

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
If you are 100% in Apple ecosystem you have no need for Bluetooth. Ironically even everyone in my social circle also use Apple devices. Airplay 2 is wonderful I own a HomePod and a Sonos surrounded system.
Most people aren't 100% in the garden. What's ironic about your social circle using Apple device?

Imo, the HP should have had BT and additional I/O. It would have made a good sounding speaker into a well rounded product with mass appeal. Mass appeal which would have only served the expressed goal of increasing Services revenue. A missed opportunity imo.

Reactions: robotica

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Got my second HomePod this week. Bought one at launch and wanted the stereo sound. It’s truly great. Never use it for its Siri capabilities (although I’ve noticed Siri getting smarter on my phone...Giannandrea’s results already showing?) but as a speaker and the way it interfaces with my Apple TV and phone is great. Much better than anything else I’ve found on the market.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
HomePod needs way more than a minor update, it needs an overhaul. Siri is pathetic

Works perfectly for me.

Agreed....this is why Alexa even got its foot in my doorway....Apples SLOW SLOW SLOW progress on SIRI and Homepod

Psst... I’m gonna let you in on a secret**... You can install “Skills” on HomePod. I order food on my HomePod, I start meditation sessions with Headspace on my HomePod, I log my water intake and food consumption in Waterminder and myfitnesspal apps on my HomePod, I record voice clips in my Day One journal on my HomePod, I check off habits in Streaks on my HomePod, and play Pandora and Tunein radio on my HomePod, aaaand I even get the news from Google News, yep, you guessed it: all on my HomePod.

Siri Shortcuts have been out since September. They’re the same as Alexa Skills and in just 6 months, there have been hundreds of them added.

**not really a secret. I don’t know how so many people have managed to ignore that Siri Shortcuts work as a way to expand HomePod’s capabilities like Alexa Skills do for Amazon Echo.

Last edited:

shahzebjiwani

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2019
Anyone know if this functionality is available on the homepod as of this release? I have it connected to my AppleTV and would love this functionality!

"Update your Apple TV to tvOS 12.2, and your iOS device(s) to iOS 12.2, and you’ll be able to control what’s on your Apple TV with a lot more granularity. As MacRumors notes:

“tvOS 12.2, when paired with iOS 12.2, is designed to allow users to ask Siri to play specific media on an Apple TV from an iOS device. You can, for example, ask Siri to play Modern Family on the TV in the living room, or Pitch Perfect on the TV in the bedroom. This feature is available for music, TV shows, and movies.”"

jdmagoo1

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Works perfectly for me.

Psst... I’m gonna let you in on a secret**... You can install “Skills” on HomePod. I order food on my HomePod, I start mediation sessions with Headspace on my HomePod, I log my water intake and food consumption in Waterminder and myfitnesspal apps on my HomePod, I record voice clips in my Day One journal on my HomePod, I check off habits in Streaks on my HomePod, and play Pandora and Tunein radio on my HomePod, aaaand I even get the news from Google News, yep, you guessed it: all on my HomePod.

Siri Shortcuts have been out since September. They’re the same as Alexa Skills and in just 6 months, there have been hundreds of them added.

**not really a secret. I don’t know how so many people have managed to ignore that Siri Shortcuts work as a way to expand HomePod’s capabilities like Alexa Skills do for Amazon Echo.
It’s pretty amazing that people invest so much money into homepods but don’t take the time to learn about the above! I use HomePod to turn on on none Apple HomeKit enabled sprinkler system and my non HomeKit enabled outlet switches.

It’s as easy as saying ‘hey siri’ Turn on the fence pop up sprinklers. Or, ‘hey siri’ Turn on the mozzy zapper. You can even save different phrases for the same thing!

All through Siri shortcuts and homepod

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Can I set an alarm to wake me with something from Apple music yet (rather than the default jingle)? Is that possible using Siri Shortcuts?

The shortcuts I tried just went to my iPhone but I was just trying to get it to play BBC Radio...

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
If you are 100% in Apple ecosystem you have no need for Bluetooth. Ironically even everyone in my social circle also use Apple devices. Airplay 2 is wonderful I own a HomePod and a Sonos surrounded system.
but why not provide the Bluetooth option?
and why are Airpods different than Homepod?
That’s my question.

even with 100% Apple ecosystem bluetooth will be useful.various scenarios..for example maybe you want to connect a portable game console to the speaker (HomePod) or even quickly connect the TV,etc,etc..HomePod simply is useless in many situations while a non-Homepod Bluetooth speaker (Bose,JBL,etc) can easily do that.

Apple Ecosystem is limited to computer,iPad,iPhone) but a wireless speaker could and should cover much more.

I have a MacBook,iPad,iPhone,Apple Watch,Airpods but I still bought a Bose Bluetooth speaker instead of Homepod (similar price) because lack of Bluetooth in HomePod makes it limited and in many cases useless.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
but why not provide the Bluetooth option?
and why are Airpods different than Homepod?
That’s my question.
I think there are several parts to the answer:
  • AirPods are for use ‘on the move’ and need the lowest energy connectivity. That is Bluetooth.
  • HomePods are for static use, primarily, so warrant a more stable and always-on connectivity. That’s WiFi.
  • HomePod is primarily intended as an end-point for Apple Music, other use-cases are secondary to that. WiFi provides direct internet connectivity.
I like HomePod, I have them in five different rooms. Being able to just talk to Siri for Apple Music or access to HomeKit is pretty cool (to me...)

For both devices you need to be in the Apple ecosystem to get the best value.

zchrykng

macrumors member
May 31, 2017
Works perfectly for me.

They really aren't the same. The most important difference, from my perspective, is that they don't work at all if the paired phone is out of the house, this might be acceptable if you are single, but is completely useless if you have a spouse and/or children using it while you are away. And it is impossible to make a phone of anyone other than the homeowner's the paired phone, at least last time I checked.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Multi-user is the next thing Apple really needs to address. In an iPhone-centric world single user is fine, but with ‘true’ cloud services you need to support different users at the same device.

Reactions: Debauch

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Multi-user is the next thing Apple really needs to address. In an iPhone-centric world single user is fine, but with ‘true’ cloud services you need to support different users at the same device.

I’m sure that’s coming down the pipe. It really is the next obvious priority. HomePod has been getting progressively better over point upgrades and server side Siri updates but the next full update that’ll be announced at WWDC will likely address remaining concerns. I think that multi user and voice ID are at the top of the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.