Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Eighth Beta of macOS Big Sur to Developers [Update: Public Beta Now Available]

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone having an issue with Microsoft Teams, the notifications show a blank pop-up. Makes the notifcations somewhat useless.

Interestingly a co-worker on a 13" MBP isn't having the issue, I am on the MPB 16". Not sure if its a video card issue or what..
I've seen this happen before Big Sur if the "Disable GPU hardware acceleration" option was checked.

Comment

Sheppard

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Kent, UK
How’s the battery life on this beta? Sold my 2017 MBP who would usually be my guinea pig! I’ve always found in recent years that there’s a notable improvement in battery life, the stability of transitions/effects are much cleaner in the same release. Must be how the graphics are handled more effectively.

Comment

teagh12

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Beta 8 seems very unstable. The Teams notification issue, very sluggish performance on a new Macbook Air. Went back to 20A5364e

Comment

strangeengine

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2017
My 2018 13" MBP had "Service Battery" under Catalina but Battery Condition: Normal under Big Sur PB.

Wonder what they are measuring differently.

Comment

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Can someone with a MBP 16 with the i9 report back if Big Sur resolves the iGPU issues where everything just stutters and lags when not using the dGPU? I had the base MBP 16 (i9, 16GB of RAM, 5500m 4GB GPU) and found it very frustrating to use when not using the dGPU only and leaving MacOS to decide which GPU to use. That led me to cancel my order for a fully spec'd out MBP 16 with the 5600m GPU because the issues would still persist if I were to use the iGPU.

Just trying to see if Big Sur changed the way the iGPU is throttled up/down.

Thanks!

were you having this problem exclusively with beta 7 or other versions of the OS?

I noticed a significant graphical performance impact on 7 that was not present in any prior builds. I’m hoping that 8 addresses this.

And I’ve tested this on two fully loaded 16” i9s (with the latest top shelf AMD card).

Oddly in my case performance suffers in dGPU mode as well. Idk

Comment

jeffjank33

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
I've seen this happen before Big Sur if the "Disable GPU hardware acceleration" option was checked.
Damn, was hoping I had it checked.. I dont have it checked. I just got a new 4K monitor and upgraded to beta 8 on the same day. So not sure if its one or the other or neither or both causing the issue.

I didn't have the Disable GPU checked though.. Thanks though, this gives me ideas to try to continue to troubleshoot.
1600905721545.png

Comment

jeffjank33

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
were you having this problem exclusively with beta 7 or other versions of the OS?

I noticed a significant graphical performance impact on 7 that was not present in any prior builds. I’m hoping that 8 addresses this.

And I’ve tested this on two fully loaded 16” i9s (with the latest top shelf AMD card).

Oddly in my case performance suffers in dGPU mode as well. Idk
Interesting.. I had some video conferences via Teams last week on beta 7, and the video kept freezing at times. The audio kept going by both my video and the other persons stopped.

Comment

brianbwords

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Is anyone else having issues with Zoom taking almost 100% CPU usage after using a virtual background for maybe 3-5 minutes? It brings my computer to a screeching halt the longer I keep doing a virtual background. It's almost as though it keeps processing the same thing in a series of loops until the computer can't handle it. Once I turn it off, my computer is fine.

I tried reinstalling Zoom, removing its preferences, plists, and other hidden files related to Zoom, etc. I even tried downgrading. This issue didn't happen until Big Sur and when Zoom added the Filters. I also tried disabling the Filters feature in Zoom global preferences. I also submitted this to the Feedback Assistant, but Apple hasn't picked it up as an issue, hence why I'm seeing what others think here.

For a reference, I'm on a MacBook Pro 13in 2Ghz i5 10th generation with 32GB of RAM. I would think this is sufficient to run with virtual backgrounds without a problem. Am I wrong? Are virtual backgrounds really that resource intensive, now? Any ideas to help or things to check? Kind of frustrated to not be able to use this feature anymore. Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help or perspective on this.

Comment

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
If i download and install the beta do i need to do anything different when the final general release gets released ? Like remove myself from the beta program ?

Nope but, You will still receive the subsequent beta updates like 11.1 beta 1, etc you can exit after installing the GM by following these steps Exit apple Beta Program

Last edited:
Reactions: Brighton Billy
Comment

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
Safari has been laggy for me on beta 7 and takes a while to launch especially when connected to the internet, I this beta address the issue as that my day to day browser and only use firefox for development

Comment

strangeengine

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2017
Time Machine backups are WAAAAAAAAY faster on Big Sur Public Beta than they ever were under Catalina. Nice.

So far this latest PB has been super stable for me.

Comment

hagjohn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hey... my album art showed back up in Music app... well most of it. Artist pic is still missing.

Last edited:
Comment

IAMDAVE1969

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Mcafee is dead with iOS 11 public beta 8, but everything else works awesome.
Super Solid release for me on a MacBook Pro 16". Worth downloading. Only issue was with McAfee due to Legacy Extension issues. Everything else works flawlessly for me.

Comment

MacinMan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
Hey guys, got a question: I've been toying with the latest public beta on a late 2013 MBP 13" that iv'e dedicated as a test machine. I was curious if anyone has experienced the following:

If you zoom into the screen, and back out the intended magnification level isn't saved. So when zooming back in, it zooms in my at a less level of magnification. If I reboot, and turn zoom on, my saved level returns, but only for the first time. I'm still able to hit command+option -/+ to change it, but I'm used to the level staying set.

Beyond this everything else seems to have ironed out. FYI, this only seems to have happened with one of the latest betas, it wasn't a problem initially.

Beyond this, everything else seems to work, I haven't tried Fusion 12 on this machine though, but people have said it works in beta 8, which I assume this PB is equivalent to.

If someone could please provide some feedback, that would be great!.

Comment

sdf

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2004
Beta 8 unstable, cannot run avd on Android Studio and can't read external storage on emulator

That's not "unstable," that's Android Studio defaulting to a feature Big Sur doesn't support (nested virtualization, I believe). It's probably on Android Studio to update.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.