Apple releases free Podcasts app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DodgeV83, Jun 26, 2012.

1. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Thanks! I listen to at least 2hrs a day of podcasts. Being able to subscribe right off my iPhone is LONG overdue. No more downloading during my morning dump!!

2. DodgeV83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No problem! I'm not sure if I like it better than Downcast, but we'll see :)

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

i like the ui, but a couple of things its either missing or i'm just not finding how to set. I would like it to auto-delete podcasts after I've watched or listened to it, and i would like my subscriptions to since across my devices. Are those feature missing or am i just not finding how to enable them?

4. mattkowalski macrumors member

5. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

This app seems nice but a bit unnecessary. I liked it when music, podcasts, video, we're all under the "iPod" app. Now it's all the same stuff in 3 different apps. I miss the old way.

6. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

7. Civicsixxx macrumors member

Under sub options you should be able to choose unplayed only from episodes to keep. Unfortunately, it does look like you need to set up subscriptions on each device. Would be nice if it sync'd with your apple ID.

This app just helps with auto-downloading of podcasts and finding content. You can still listen to them via the music app.

8. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

You can still listen to them in your music app just like before. You can also watch videos from your music app if you make a video playlist.

9. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

The app will not play my podcasts downloaded from Audible. Still have to play them from within music app.

10. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Criticisms so fat after 1 hr of using the app:

Does not keep track of position between music app and podcast app.

The GUI is ugly and looks more 3rd party than it should. Is this really an apple app?

Playback speed toggle is small and awkward.

Why is the album art so small? Not that important but looks less polished than it should.

11. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

.....one thing that I just don't get with this app - I have subscribed to 3 different podcasts and rightly so, they now show in the app.

HOWEVER, the same 3 podcasts now ALSO show in the native Music app under the 'More' heading and selecting 'Podcasts'??? Is this correct? Every time I sub to a podcast, it's going to show it in the Podcast app AND the Music app?

....what's the point in having the same podcasts in 2 different apps on the same device?

This is all happening on my iPad.

12. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

It's just a separate player and manager accessing your library. You can play from either. I like playing from the music app personally. It's like iPhoto accessing your camera roll. It doesn't take away anything from your music app.