Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 Golden Masters to Developers

Tagbert

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
The attention paid to iOS 14 and the Summer's release schedule shows how little Apple seems to care about Mac OS. More and more I get the feeling the desktop is secondary in the Apple scheme of things.
That was more true 3-4 years ago, but you can see a lot more effort within Apple for the Mac since then. They are doing a major revamp of Mac OS with Big Sur and they are migrating their entire Mac line to newer faster processors over the next 2 years. Look for another Mac-focused event in October or November showing this all off.

That seems to show that they do care. Certainly the iPhone is a bigger part of their business but they have not given up on the Mac.

Reactions: Jgltno and Karllake
Comment

scouser75

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2008
Maybe a silly question, I was on the Beta all along. I updated to last night's release and it's taken up another 4 to 5gb? Is this normal? I'd have thought the new version would have just over written the previous beta - give or take some extra storage!

Comment

Billyk711

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
I’m still have News widget issues on beta 8. Also, had some apps that were weird sizes. Hoping the GM version fixes those. It’s been a weird beta ”season” for me. Every other beta update broke my News widget.
Apps are up to developer not apple

Comment

mariusignorello

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2013
From what I'm reading on twitter, this launch tomorrow caught many developers off-guard.

I'll wait a few days before trying it out because it's likely many of your favourite apps aren't quite ready.
A few of the major ones like 1Password and Parcel released their GM versions their apps so they seem to be ready. I found this quick release to be really odd. The keynote itself was odd as well. It ended rather abruptly, and if I remember there was one not too long ago that ended similarly.

Comment

TVreporter

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
A few of the major ones like 1Password and Parcel released their GM versions their apps so they seem to be ready. I found this quick release to be really odd. The keynote itself was odd as well. It ended rather abruptly, and if I remember there was one not too long ago that ended similarly.
I'm thinking they had other products announcements recorded and just cut them to save for October?

Comment

revenantananias

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
this is cool, I dig it. have been using it since day one. the translate app, however, might be good for Spanish but the Korean is horrible.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Honestly I think Im the only person that initially liked how Big Sur looked (during the Apple presentation) yet cannot stand how it looks (in 1080P or on 13" MBP).

Can we prevent the update using the Terminal Command ?
sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur"

Looks like the answer maybe no :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.20.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.20.14 AM.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 43
Comment

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
For the tiny chance the GM is different. It's happened before. (I think it was macOS though, the release version came a few days later, after the weekend IIRC.)
It may be different, but it’s a GM. What I usually do is remove the Beta Profile from my device, so if the released version is different, it will update.

Comment

Jgltno

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Maybe a silly question, I was on the Beta all along. I updated to last night's release and it's taken up another 4 to 5gb? Is this normal? I'd have thought the new version would have just over written the previous beta - give or take some extra storage!

yeah I noticed the same thing. I’m thinking it reinstalls the entire operating system again since it’s the GM vs update increment size? Just guessing🧐

Reactions: scouser75
Comment

scouser75

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2008
yeah I noticed the same thing. I’m thinking it reinstalls the entire operating system again since it’s the GM vs update increment size? Just guessing🧐
I offed it and onned it, and got my 4gb back. Give that a try 👍

Comment

Veerasayz

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
so should i stop waiting for an update to pop up if i installed the gm? i'm on 18A373 right now, is that the same thing as the official release?

Yes both should be same. I’m also on GM and didn’t receive a new update. But I got update from co-members that both are same.

Comment

alexandr

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Yes both should be same. I’m also on GM and didn’t receive a new update. But I got update from co-members that both are same.

cool, 'cause i was beginning to worry) now if they could only make a favorites widget, like the one that existed in ios13...

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
cool, 'cause i was beginning to worry) now if they could only make a favorites widget, like the one that existed in ios13...
As an alternative, at least for now, it seems that you can set up shortcuts and use the shortcuts widget for something like that.

Comment

alexandr

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
As an alternative, at least for now, it seems that you can set up shortcuts and use the shortcuts widget for something like that.

yes, i've done that)) but it's a bit annoying, as each shortcut is the size of an app.. i've also made siri shortcuts, which i'm actually using a lot more due to the lack of a true widget.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.