Apple Releases iOS and iPadOS 13.2.2 With Fix for Background Refresh Bug

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Not only that, but it's not a big deal.

Most iPhone users don't read MacRumors and they don't immediately install updates when they come out. They wait for the OS to notify them an update is available, then tell the phone to install it overnight. The notification might not appear for up to a week after a new update.

There's a good chance people have skipped some iOS 13 updates simply because of the amount of time the OS takes to notify the user they are available.
Hope so. I’m getting a bit tired of people asking me what’s gone wrong or why stuff doesn’t work. I really must remind friends to stay away from 10.15 though. Those irritating notifications really get people to click update.
- - Post merged: - -

You're getting two different things confused. It has nothing to do with mobile.

Microsoft at this point does have better software quality and update discipline, even as they have a far more complex ecosystem, literally the largest in the world.

Apple has a relatively tiny ecosystem, with first party hardware only, and can't manage not to require an emergency update every week because they broke a major system function.

As you said, iOS only compares to a severely stripped down Windows that doesn't run any apps.

Simple as that.
So how and why are you involved in the tiny Apple non eco system? And why are you here? I’m just browsing this particular forum to see if 13.2.2 is safe for work.
- - Post merged: - -

What’s with all the complaining. Sheez they address problem with updates. Damn fast response if you ask me. Could be on Android and wait a year for update that comes only with new phone.
Who gives a flying &$@“ about android? Is it a justifiable comparison for anyone who tries to use iOS? You’re correct that the pace of bug fixes has been good and this one might be safe for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoronaOnTap

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I’ve have got to admit that I was wrong.

I thought that my 11Pro Max was fine. But now I know it wasn’t. My gosh this update propelled it to the next level. So fast and smooth and no reloads.
Very good update.

On a different note, I really don’t get all this negativity regarding frequent releases. It’s a good thing, it demonstrates that their organisation and team is working well.

Reactions: Macyourdayy

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
Just wondering...
When they release these "bug fixes" so fast, is this like they forgot to write 1 line of code or something? Because given how fast they release updates for bug fixes, it seems like its not a big issue in the first place.

I do miss times when you downloaded software and it works great and forever until the next version of the software is released. Software updates should no longer be called updates, it should be called dynamic code, it evolves everyday.

wdfly

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
anyone know if this update fixes the constant crashing issue? My phone was/is crashing and rebooting multiple times per day.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
Don’t think that’s really all that related to this. Again, given that agile and sprints are something that have been around at Apple for a long time at this point without multiple releases every month, and given that even recently release haven’t really lined up that way anyway.
all I’m saying is expect weekly releases a month (or roughly 4 a month) with exception of holidays. You can already see the weekly trend and I included my predictions for the next 2 months. So good for apple. I wish my software company could have weekly bug fixes. We only get to release them once a month or sometimes once a quarter.

iOS 13.0 was released on September 19, 2019.

iOS 13.1 was released on September 24, 2019.

iOS 13.1.1 was released on September 27, 2019.

iOS 13.1.2 was released on September 30, 2019. The update was focused on bug fixes.

iOS 13.1.3 was released on October 15, 2019. The update was focused on bug fixes.

iOS 13.2 was released on October 28, 2019.

iOS 13.2.1 was released on October 30, 2019. This update is only for HomePod.

iOS 13.2.2 was released on November 7, 2019.

****PREDICTION****

iOS 13.2.3 to be released on November 14, 2019.

iOS 13.2.4 to be released on November 20, 2019.

iOS 13.3 to be released on November 25. 2019.

iOS 13.3.1 to be released on December 2, 2019.

iOS 13.3.2 to be released on December 12, 2019.

iOS 13.3.3 to be released on December 17, 2019.

Reactions: Babygotfont

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just wondering...
When they release these "bug fixes" so fast, is this like they forgot to write 1 line of code or something? Because given how fast they release updates for bug fixes, it seems like its not a big issue in the first place.

I do miss times when you downloaded software and it works great and forever until the next version of the software is released. Software updates should no longer be called updates, it should be called dynamic code, it evolves everyday.
It’s possible someone forgot to write one line of code. An incident with windows back in the day was just that. One line of code that went bad, fixed a hundred bugs.

I never remembered a time when software works great and forever, except with pc-dos.

nt5672

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
Or a ton of uninformed, pessimistic speculation. No shortage of that around here, eh? :/
If you have a more informed thought about why Apple is so riddled with problems in products and software please share it. I gave my reasons, and yet you just attack and judge me without any substantial rebuttal. That is what people do when they have nothing but emotions to work with.

Reactions: Already in use

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
If you have a more informed thought about why Apple is so riddled with problems in products and software please share it. I gave my reasons, and yet you just attack and judge me without any substantial rebuttal. That is what people do when they have nothing but emotions to work with.
I think anyone who’s ever been involved with software development will know just how easy it is to miss something in a vast sea of code.
Amplify that by the sheer volume of people working on iOS, the many different departments and just how difficult it can be to coordinate all of them into one single, perfect software release.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who have never experienced software development, in my experience at least, seem to think it’s as simple as flicking a switch to sort out problems.
I’m not saying everyone of course, I had an app which at one point had more lines of code than there are words in the bible, for a one-man team, that can be a lot to manage. Thankfully, when a problem did arise, many of my customers sent me emails expressing their support and understanding, saying how difficult it must be - there were of course those who were quite the opposite and expected you to find, fix and release an update within a day, because that’s realistic.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Your reasons, as I alluded to, are speculation - particularly in post #50, which is what I quoted. I have nothing any more informed than you do about Apple's beta, which is why I haven't been suggesting things like "These days Apple just shoves whatever is in the repository out when Cook's marketing schedule calls for a release; tested or not." You're presenting that as fact when you actually have no idea how they release software, or what "Cook's schedule" is.

I used the word "pessimistic" because I found your comments similar to those by grousers claiming that Apple has shifted all of their resources towards content rather than fixing ____ issue with the Mac line. How on earth those initiatives are "either/or" is beyond me, but I suppose it's always been fun to blindly vent on MR.

In any case, nothing I said was intended as an "attack," and I'm surprised you've gotten to 68000 status if you really felt that level of commentary could be characterized as such. Have a good rest-of-your-thread.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
all I’m saying is expect weekly releases a month (or roughly 4 a month) with exception of holidays. You can already see the weekly trend and I included my predictions for the next 2 months. So good for apple. I wish my software company could have weekly bug fixes. We only get to release them once a month or sometimes once a quarter.

iOS 13.0 was released on September 19, 2019.

iOS 13.1 was released on September 24, 2019.

iOS 13.1.1 was released on September 27, 2019.

iOS 13.1.2 was released on September 30, 2019. The update was focused on bug fixes.

iOS 13.1.3 was released on October 15, 2019. The update was focused on bug fixes.

iOS 13.2 was released on October 28, 2019.

iOS 13.2.1 was released on October 30, 2019. This update is only for HomePod.

iOS 13.2.2 was released on November 7, 2019.

****PREDICTION****

iOS 13.2.3 to be released on November 14, 2019.

iOS 13.2.4 to be released on November 20, 2019.

iOS 13.3 to be released on November 25. 2019.

iOS 13.3.1 to be released on December 2, 2019.

iOS 13.3.2 to be released on December 12, 2019.

iOS 13.3.3 to be released on December 17, 2019.
What I’m saying is that it hasn’t been weekly/biweekly already with various releases being released only days apart. And that the reasoning provided for these releases this year being agile development and sprints doesn’t really hold up as agile has been used by Apple for a long time at this point and they certainly didn’t have weekly/biweekly releases most of that time.

dmylrea

macrumors 68030
Sep 27, 2005
Updated to 13.2.2, but still having app refresh issue with Outlook app. If I open an email, click a link in the email and spend some time on a website or do something else, then switch back to Outlook, the email that I had open is gone and I'm back to my inbox.

Anyone else use Outlook app have the same issue? Is this due to the issue supposedly fixed in 13.2.2 or a separate Outlook issue?

Nismo73

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2013
Knock on wood. Gotta say I haven’t had any touch issues and it always scroll smooth on 12.9 Pro.

JosephAW

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2012
Don't think that those of us who stayed on iOS 12 are better off.
Was typing a review in the App Store and needed to paste some text into notes before submitting review.
Switched to notes, pasted text, switched to App Store and it reloaded and I lost all that I typed. I wasn't away for more than 5 seconds. Pathetic.

Focusx0131

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Did I? I am just saying that certain types of issues are so obvious that they should not be able to escape QA. This issue should have been flagged by the simplest testing. Did anyone at apple tried switching between two apps when testing the release candidate? Apparently not. Perhaps they do not think that this is something iPhone users might do.
It’s most likely the issue was found during beta testing but for something as deep as multitasking they had to basically test the whole OS to make sure that the fix doesn’t break anything else. People are always talking about QA but leave out the rest of the SDLC...things take time.

Source: I work as a UAT analyst for a software company.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
I think anyone who’s ever been involved with software development will know just how easy it is to miss something in a vast sea of code.
Amplify that by the sheer volume of people working on iOS, the many different departments and just how difficult it can be to coordinate all of them into one single, perfect software release.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who have never experienced software development, in my experience at least, seem to think it’s as simple as flicking a switch to sort out problems.
I’m not saying everyone of course, I had an app which at one point had more lines of code than there are words in the bible, for a one-man team, that can be a lot to manage. Thankfully, when a problem did arise, many of my customers sent me emails expressing their support and understanding, saying how difficult it must be - there were of course those who were quite the opposite and expected you to find, fix and release an update within a day, because that’s realistic.
No argument about the challenges involved in managing millions of lines of code. Nevertheless the “sheer volume of people workin on iOS...” in addition to developer AND public beta testers as well as Apple’s own software tech for rooting out bugs should at the very least lend the appearance that obvious bugs ought to be caught and dealt with before a final public release. It didn’t happen here and it’s hardly the first time.

Apple pushed back the release date for OS X leopard TWICE because it wasn’t ready for prime time. These days it seems that releasing software on yearly update schedule trumps everything else and the result has been complaints about Apple software quality that have been going on for years now. No one is likely to beat up Apple for bugs that only affect a minority of users under specific circumstances, but Apple charges a premium for its hardware, and if the software that runs it displays really obvious bugs like jerky animations or the memory management bug that is the topic here that are just plain unavoidable when using the device, then its just a matter of time when people will question the value of such a premium priced device.

Jim Dalrymple is a long time, well known Apple enthusiast. On his blog even he had this to say about the memory management bug “Something does seem amiss. Some say the issue is too much pressure to deliver on too short a timeline. I have no idea. But as a user, I am frustrated.”

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple pushed back the release date for OS X leopard TWICE because it wasn’t ready for prime time.
And yet, from what I recall, Apple also had an OS X release that just flat out deleted user data.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
No argument about the challenges involved in managing millions of lines of code. Nevertheless the “sheer volume of people workin on iOS...” in addition to developer AND public beta testers as well as Apple’s own software tech for rooting out bugs should at the very least lend the appearance that obvious bugs ought to be caught and dealt with before a final public release. It didn’t happen here and it’s hardly the first time.

Apple pushed back the release date for OS X leopard TWICE because it wasn’t ready for prime time. These days it seems that releasing software on yearly update schedule trumps everything else and the result has been complaints about Apple software quality that have been going on for years now. No one is likely to beat up Apple for bugs that only affect a minority of users under specific circumstances, but Apple charges a premium for its hardware, and if the software that runs it displays really obvious bugs like jerky animations or the memory management bug that is the topic here that are just plain unavoidable when using the device, then its just a matter of time when people will question the value of such a premium priced device.

Jim Dalrymple is a long time, well known Apple enthusiast. On his blog even he had this to say about the memory management bug “Something does seem amiss. Some say the issue is too much pressure to deliver on too short a timeline. I have no idea. But as a user, I am frustrated.”
Don’t get me wrong, I am by no means defending Apple on this one. It’s been a monumental mess (I cleaned that up) since the release of iOS 13, there have been many, many bugs slipping through the net that simply should never have.

As I’ve said before, if it were my team, all hell would be raining down on them. Being under pressure to get things done and get them done in a timely manner is no excuse for a company with the resources at Apples disposal.

I’ve also mentioned before that I’ve had an Apple engineer at my home for two days, and they’ve (surprisingly) been keeping me in the loop via email and text messages on the progress and background of some iOS issues, some of which still aren’t fixed.

So I’ve seen a (very) small amount of what they’re up against. There’s a mountain to climb in order to fully sort out iOS 13 and personally I think it’s going to take at least some weeks before they get close to finalising the worst of it.

As an end user, I’m seriously peeved with Apple at the moment, I do not think iOS 13 should have been released in the state it was. As far as I’m concerned it simple was not ready. But they’ve pushed it out to meet the yearly deadline, now they’re playing catch-up to sort the mess out.

I’m usually pretty laid back, but this mess has infuriated me. I’ve been in charge of large teams in the past and I’d have been kicking arses and opening exit doors if this had happened under my charge.

At the end of the day, especially for we long-time Apple customers who remember a different time when things actually did “just work”, there’s no doubt that quality is slipping, people can try and defend it all they like. But the evidence is staring us right in the face, there’s no good excuse for such sloppy end-user experiences. It simply should not happen, regardless of the company.

Babygotfont

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
looks like the data/LTE/Wifi bug (when switching back/forth from wifi to LTE) issue/problem/bug is back ...

full LTE bars on my sprint iPX ... picks up xfinity hotspot ... drive out of hotspot range ... LTE bars are full but data is DOA