Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated their website to reflect new iBooks that have been announced today.

- New trackpad lets you scroll horizontally, vertically or pan around the screen
- Sudden Motion sensor protects the hard drive in free-fall
- Built in Bluetooth 2.0 and Airport Extreme
- iLife '05

12" 1.33GHz G4, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, Combo Drive - $999
14" 1.42GHz G4, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, Super Drive - $1299

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Maybe if we are lucky, they will update Powerbooks to have its 512 of ram in one slot like the iBook, because what a pain in the ass to upgrade.

Still, 4200 RPM hardrives too. Forget this, I love the iBook and all, but I'm going for the powerbook. If this was apples strategy I guessed it work. The iBook's specs aren't high enough now i have to spend an extra $300.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Chef Medeski said:
Maybe if we are lucky, they will update Powerbooks to have its 512 of ram in one slot like the iBook, because what a pain in the ass to upgrade.
The RAM on the powerbooks aren't that hard to upgrade, it's only 3 screws to remove the memory cover.

The one RAM in one slot on the iBook is almost impossible to upgrade as it is soldered directly on the motherboard.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
so now, my 1.33GHz Powerbook only has a better graphics card... and was about $500 more. But it was still worth it at the time. I also like the keyboard much better.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Applespider said:
What a boring update though - nothing very exciting at all... very minor

Come on people, I know that bashing new Apple products is an Olympic sport here but what did you expect? There is little wiggle room to update the iBooks without totally killing PowerBook sales. Given that, they did OK in my book, er, iBook.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
So my iBook is now officially an "old" model. I've had it for almost nine months and its been great. I'm not exactly jealous of the new models - theres not much of a spec increase to shout about is there?

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
These updates are horrible...

...but the increase to 512mb of RAM is great. Both REALLY needed it and this should immediately make them seem much faster to whoever uses them.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Applespider said:
The PB's have been like that for a while.

What a boring update though - nothing very exciting at all... very minor

I thought you could only upgrade them to 1.25 GB, cause there are two sticks of 256 mb.

M@netic

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
Powerbooks vs ibooks

They better update the Powerbook. The 12" ibook is now exactly the same except for the processor. Personally, I think they should've saved SMS for the pro line. Still, it doesn't justify the 50% price difference.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Over Achiever said:
The one RAM in one slot on the iBook is almost impossible to upgrade as it is soldered directly on the motherboard.

Err... The iBook has two slots at last check albeit one is soldered on, meaning they really should upgrade the 12 inch PowerBook to have 512MB soldered on and not 256MB.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
Over Achiever said:
The RAM on the powerbooks aren't that hard to upgrade, it's only 3 screws to remove the memory cover.

it's 4 screws, not that big a deal. But it really is quite simple to upgrade the memory in a powerbook.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
what a *****@ss update!!!!!!
9 frickin months and no widescreen!!!!!
BAH! WHO NEEDS RUMORS! THEY DO NOTHING BUT CAUSE DISAPPOINTMENT WHEN THE BORINGNESS OF REALITY HITS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to go take a strap to my back in the bathroom here at work for actually getting excited about this rumor.... STUPID! STUPID! HOW COULD I BE SUCH A SHEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Heh. 142 MHz FSB and a Radeon 9550 eh?

Minis didnt change at all really, just replaced the 256 MB chip with the 512 MB chip.

No price cuts on the Mini. Heh.

Not a big update, definitely not what that guy was going around going "WIDESCREEN IBOOKS!", but not a bad update. At least now we can have more RAM in our iBooks, and in the Minis theres more RAM so you can hold off on that RAM upgrade. Uping the RAM is probably the first thing everyone does to a Mini. And you end up with a useless 256 MB DIMM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.