Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Apple today released OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, an under-the-hood update that introduces bug fixes, security enhancements, and performance improvements. OS X 10.10.5 is being released to the public after two developer betas and one month of testing.

The OS X 10.10.5 update can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Today's update notably includes a fix for the DYLD_PRINT_TO_FILE privilege escalation vulnerability that could allow malware to gain root access to a Mac. Earlier this month, a DYLD_PRINT_TO_FILE exploit was found to be in use in the wild, so this is an update that all Mac users running Yosemite will want to install as soon as possible.
This update:

- Improves compatibility with certain email servers when using Mail
- Fixes an issue in Photos that prevents importing videos from GoPro cameras
- Fixes an issue in QuickTime Player that prevented playback of Windows Media files.
OS X 10.10.5 is likely to be one of the last updates to OS X Yosemite, which will soon be retired in favor of its successor, OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Currently in testing, OS X El Capitan builds on the features introduced with Yosemite, focusing on improving performance and user experience.

Once OS X El Capitan is available for download, OS X Yosemite will see only minor maintenance updates designed to fix security flaws and other major bugs. OS X El Capitan is expected to be released to the public in the fall.

Update 10:33 AM: Fixes and improvements for Apple Music are available in a separate iTunes 12.2.2 update also available through Software Update in the Mac App Store.

Update 11:20 AM: Apple has also released Security Update 2015-006 for Mavericks and Mountain Lion users, as well as Safari 8.0.8 for Yosemite, 7.1.8 for Mavericks, and 6.2.8 for Mountain Lion.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X 10.10.5 With DYLD Vulnerability Patch, Bug Fixes

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I did not expect this to be released so soon. Hope it will fix the draining issue.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Personally I wish they would replace dock icons with iOS ones, i slavishly remake all mine as i hate the current flat ones and I see no reason to clone apps and then have icons that don't match AT ALL!

I really can't wait for El Capitan though, This is probably much more stable than that will be. I feel like apple fixed so many things with yosemite i hate to take a step back from this 10.10.5 in a few months.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-13-at-18.14.09.png

Technicgb

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015
Personally I wish they would replace dock icons with iOS ones, i slavishly remake all mine as i hate the current flat ones and I see no reason to clone apps and then have icons that don't match AT ALL!

I really can't wait for El Capitan though, This is probably much more stable than that will be. I feel like apple fixed so many things with yosemite i hate to take a step back from this 10.10.5 in a few months.

I created an account just to say this is amazing , and I'm jealous , may I have your icons plz

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

For the record I've been running El Cap on my laptop for a few days and it's been pretty stable so far. It also feels faster than Yosemite, so it's like a win win.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Since when did QuickTime natively playback Windows Media files?

Apple "supports" (to some level) Flip4Mac, which extends QuickTime such that WMV files can play.

Fix was likely around that extension.

gabriel193755

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014

I wish for exactly the opposite; that they use the OS X icons in iOS - this would be beautiful.

EDIT: I also wish that they add a Launchpad to iOS, so I could have my phone just like my desktop (icon-free), just one tap and I have all my apps.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I did not expect this to be released so soon. Hope it will fix the draining issue.

I think Apple rushed this one out and it's the last update to Yosemite. I guess they want as much people as possible working on El Capitan, not that it's a bad thing.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Another vote for Combo Update.

I wonder if they've finally fixed the bug which they've introduced in 10.10.3, which caused some of the systems with Intel 4000 graphics to get random kernel panics ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7000724 ). The only solution I've found was to disable the auto graphics switching in the power settings, so now the system is using the dedicated GPU instead of Intel's.

Reactions: kagharaht
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.