Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced three years ago in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 78 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Pointer Events, Web Inspector, WebDriver, Web API, Accessibility, and Media.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave, the newest version of the Mac operating system that was released to the public in September 2018.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 78 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

raskar

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
UK
Its been 6 months since i switched to using Chrome as my main browser on my mbp and i have to say the improvement in performance is +ve.

Greatness617

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2017
Is chrome really better? I am
Starting to wonder if they are stilling my information. So I have been using safari a lot more. I wish it would support 4K on YouTube and I would never use chrome again.

Reactions: Internet Enzyme

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Is chrome really better? I am
Starting to wonder if they are stilling my information. So I have been using safari a lot more. I wish it would support 4K on YouTube and I would never use chrome again.

You get tracked on Safari as well, dependable on which site you visit, BUT, I do trust Safari (a lot) more than Chrome.

Last edited:

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Are the Safari Technology Preview improvements ever going to be incorporated in Safari for High Sierra or is upgrading to Mohave going to be the only way to get a newer version of Safari? Currently Technology Preview is more compatible with Facebook and Facebook is apparently not going to change just for Safari.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Are the Safari Technology Preview improvements ever going to be incorporated in Safari for High Sierra or is upgrading to Mohave going to be the only way to get a newer version of Safari? Currently Technology Preview is more compatible with Facebook and Facebook is apparently not going to change just for Safari.
Safari 12.0.3 is available for Mojave (10.14.3), High Sierra (10.13.6) and Sierra (10.12.6).

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Safari 12.0.3 is available for Mojave (10.14.3), High Sierra (10.13.6) and Sierra (10.12.6).

That is the version that has some incompatibilities with Facebook. That still doesn't fix the anything on selecting backgrounds on posts. This works in Chrome, Firefox, & Safari Technology Preview, but not Safari 12.0.3, but thanks for answering my question. Apple is simply letting Safari languish for now. At least I know Mohave won't fix this either.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I agree. It’s maddening sometimes.
I think it’s the last two letters in positive and negative combined with the prefix of plus or minus.

I could not have imagined that - no-one on the Internet is running out of letters to type so there's really no reason to abbreviate each word when typing either negative or positive makes a whole lot more sense.

Thank you for letting me know about the abbrevation. I won't derail this thread any longer.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I use Chrome and Safari on a daily basis. Usually I keep my personal stuff on Safari and use Chrome for development, unless I'm working on one my hybrid apps and need Safari for the Web Inspector. For that I usually open Safari Technology Preview and I quite like it but Chrome as better developer tools if you're a web developer. I sometimes use their inspector for Android and don't like it, doesn't work reliably 100% of the time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.