Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS Monterey 12.5 update to its public beta testing group, with the update coming one day after Apple provided the beta to developers.

macOS-Monterey-on-MBP-Feature.jpg

Public beta testers can download the macOS Monterey 12.5 update from the Software Update section of the System Preferences app after installing the proper profile from Apple's beta software website.

There's no word yet on what new features or changes might be included in macOS Monterey 12.5, and nothing new was found in the first developer beta. Apple has provided no details on this time, so we may need to wait for release to find out what bug fixes or minor changes might be included.

macOS Monterey 12.5 is likely to be one of the final updates to the macOS Monterey operating system as Apple begins its transition to the next-generation version of macOS.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second Public Beta of macOS Monterey 12.5

Last edited:

Ziperix

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
"macOS Monterey is likely to be one of the final updates to the macOS Monterey operating system" Well yeah that makes sense

Reactions: luckman212

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
There's no word yet on what new features or changes might be included in macOS Monterey 12.5, and nothing new was found in the first developer beta. Apple has provided no details on this time, so we may need to wait for release to find out what bug fixes or minor changes might be included.
The Safari/SystemFW and kernel is still incrementing versions for M1 Macs, as expected this is underlying silent improvements.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

tazhombre

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
My M1 MBA won't get updates. Still stuck on 12.3 beta. Guess I need to nuke it and start over.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
"macOS Monterey is likely to be one of the final updates to the macOS Monterey operating system" Well yeah that makes sense
Last year after macOS Big Sur 11.5 (20G71) - July 21, 2021, there was only these without beta cycles after that release.
  • macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 (20G80) - July 26, 2021
  • macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 (20G95) - August 11, 2021. (security update)
  • macOS Big Sur 11.6 (20G165) - September 13, 2021
So people need to look at 12.5 Monterey as close to the end. BTW this MacOS 12.5 beta 2 is running without issues on two of my M1 Macs.

Last edited:
Reactions: roncron and gank41

b4ulaf

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Software Update keeps saying I am up to date, and I can see that I am enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program. I tried restarting the Mac, but still no luck. Any ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 1.41.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 1.41.06 PM.png
    384.4 KB · Views: 939

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Software Update keeps saying I am up to date, and I can see that I am enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program. I tried restarting the Mac, but still no luck. Any ideas or suggestions?
Log into the public beta website and make sure you don’t have to agree to updated terms and conditions. That’s stopped me from seeing downloads before. That’s my only suggestion.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
My trust level with Apple's declining software QC over the years is such that I'll likely end up waiting until the next version of macOS is released before moving to Monterey.
You wouldn't be thinking that if you owned a newer AS based Mac. There isn't any over the years thinking against that. Monterey has continued the progression of getting things right and more optimized from how it was in Big Sur.

mactectom

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
Iv tried reinstalling the beta utility "thing"... Still not getting the update.

Update: Rebooting my entire network seems to have fixed the issues. BEFORE rebooting, all TV's, iOS Devices worked. No issue with connecting to the internet. Just a 2014 Mac mini, 2019 MacBook Air, and 2020 M1 Mac mini had issues. After the reboot, everything was fine.

Last edited:

tazhombre

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Try removing the beta profile and see if you get updates.
I did and it constantly searched but never found anything. So I went to the App Store and downloaded a fresh copy of 12.4 and the installation would hang at 31min left, repeatedly, even in safe mode. Something seems really broken.

• Wow
Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
You wouldn't be thinking that if you owned a newer AS based Mac...Monterey has continued the progression of getting things right and more optimized from how it was in Big Sur.
Good to hear if it's the case that Apple has refocused on QC with its OS's. It would be the analog of the cultural shift we saw with the latest MBP's: Function over form.

OTOH, what we're seeing now with AS may be the exception that proves the rule. I.e., if earlier releases of Monterey were more stable than the final release of Big Sur on AS, this could simply be because AS is so new. Once a few years have passed, we may return to the general rule that, if you want minimum bugginess, it's always best to wait for the final release before upgrading.

There isn't any over the years thinking against that.
? Sounds like you accidentally posted this mid-edit, which I suspect b/c it also happens to me ;)

Reactions: Realityck

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
@b4ulaf just upgrade to 12.5 beta 2! ? From the release notes:

Resolved Issues in macOS 12.5 Beta​

• (Beta 2) Resolves an issue where Software Update may fail to find an available update.
But in all seriousness, either do a Safe Boot to clear out any screwed up caches or run this to kickstart a stuck/stalled software update: sudo launchctl kickstart -k system/com.apple.softwareupdated

james734

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
Has anyone been able to install this? 2 Mac's in the PB and both of them are not showing PB2.

b4ulaf

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA

• (Beta 2) Resolves an issue where Software Update may fail to find an available update.
But in all seriousness, either do a Safe Boot to clear out any screwed up caches or run this to kickstart a stuck/stalled software update: sudo launchctl kickstart -k system/com.apple.softwareupdated

OK that is super funny! LOL! And thanks, I'll try your sudo suggestion.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly

Still nothing for me.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
My biggest and only wish for the upcoming "Mammoth" macOS: A flag to opt out of this update hell:

Install security updates only: ☑️

Will this dream come true one day? I know all the fans living on the edge using Macs mainly for surfing the web, installing updates add a grain of adventure to their lives. But for people that use a Mac for work it feels more like "Oh no, not again!". Will eMail still work? Will the printer continue to work? Have new bugs been introduced (of course there are new bugs)?

Point is, if everything works fine as it should, I don't need updates beside security updates. Even more, I don't want em.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.