Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 3, the newest version of the operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 3 is a significant update to the watchOS operating system, introducing an overhauled interface, new apps, new watch faces, and impressive performance improvements.

watchOS 3 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. watchOS 3 is available for all Apple Watch models, but requires an iPhone running iOS 10 to install, which was also released today.

WatchOS3_trio-800x390.jpg

watchOS 3 features a new dock that houses your favorite and recently used apps so they're quicker to access. Up to 10 apps saved to the dock are kept up to date at all times and are able to launch instantly, cutting down on app loading times.

Navigation is improved in watchOS 3, with left and right swipes able to change the watch face. Upward swipes bring up the Control Center, while a downward swipe opens the Notification Center. Pressing the side button brings up the new dock.

There are new Activity sharing features in watchOS 3, along with workouts and activities for wheelchair users. A new "Breathe" app guides you through daily deep breathing sessions to cut down on stress, and there are new Reminders, Find My Friends, and Heart Rate apps.

Three new watch faces are available, an SOS feature can automatically call emergency services, and an Apple Watch can be used to unlock a password protected Mac with new Continuity functionality. A revamped Messages app makes it easier to reply to incoming texts, plus there's a new "Scribble" feature for writing replies on the Apple Watch face with a finger.

For more details on what's new in watchOS 3, make sure to check out our full watchOS 3 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 3 With App Dock, Instant Launching, New Watch Faces, Breathe, and More

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Does it require you to have the iOS 10 installed before detecting this? My iPhone 6S detects (and is downloading) iOS 10 but Watch app doesn't see this update yet

Dana W

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Nothing here. (Minneapolis Minnesota) I should have updated via Reddit like everyone else. I'll know better next time.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Does it require you to have the iOS 10 installed before detecting this? My iPhone 6S detects (and is downloading) iOS 10 but Watch app doesn't see this update yet

You need iOS 10 first.

I am on east coast, US and got the update right at 1:00pm.

Reactions: nagromme

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Either not out yet on the east coast as of 1:17 pm or the release is the same as watchOS beta 3 - Watch app is telling me I'm currently up to date.

Anyone know the build number? I'm currently on 14S326.

goshya

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Why does one have to update to iOS 10 to get WatchOS 3?

From what I've heard iOS 10 slows down the iPhone 6. So I'm basically stuck with WatchOS 2...

Well done Apple.

I very much regret having bought this overpriced, slow piece of rubbish.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Why does one have to update to iOS 10 to get WatchOS 3?

iOS 10 would slow down my iPhone 6. So I'm basically stuck with WatchOS 2...

Well done Apple.

I very much regret having bought this overpriced, slow piece of rubbish.
It's dependent on the watch.app for the iPhone, so they need to be updated together.

iOS 10 won't slow down your iP6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.