Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release "The Banker," an original Apple TV+ movie starring Samuel L. Jackson, in theaters in March, reports Variety.

The movie was originally meant to premiere at the AFI Fest ahead of a December theatrical release, but Apple delayed its debut after "concerns" surrounding the film were brought to the company's attention.

Apple's hesitation came after a family member of one of the men represented in the film accused one of the film's executive producers (another family member) of abuse. Apple investigated the issue and has decided to release the movie. Apple's statement to Variety on the matter:
We created Apple TV Plus as a home for stories that matter and believe 'The Banker,' inspired by the brave actions of Bernard Garrett Sr. and Joe Morris, two African American businessmen who brought about positive social change, is one of those stories.

We wanted to take the time to understand the situation at hand -- and after reviewing the information available to us, including documentation of the filmmakers' research, we've decided to make this important and enlightening film available to viewers.
"The Banker" is based on the true story of Bernard Garrett Sr. and Joe Morris, who devised a plan to help African Americans get access to real estate deals and bank loans during the 1960s. Along with Samuel L. Jackson, "The Banker" stars Anthony Mackie, Nicholas Hoult, and Nia Long.

Following a theatrical debut on March 6, the film will be released on Apple TV+ on March 20.

Article Link: Apple Releasing 'The Banker' in Theaters in March Following Review of Abuse Accusations

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2013
I got a free year from buying a new appleTV. After that I probably won't renew. I only cared for See at this point.

Reactions: Huck

nortofthe13th

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
We just unsubscribed. The slow drip of new shows has the tap turned off at this rate.
Even with one new show a month (and there’s usually been at least two) it’s the price of a rental and less than a coffee... To each their own, but I’ve been happy with the rate so far! Besides, there are other shows on HBO and other platforms that I enjoy so I don’t expect to be constantly bombarded by mediocre content (Ehem- Netflix). There’s so much in development alone, the future looks promising. I can’t wait for The Banker!
[automerge]1579212579[/automerge]
I got a free year from buying a new appleTV. After that I probably won't renew. I only cared for See at this point.
See was fantastic! With Season 2 in progress and Dave Bautista joining the cast it’s sounding like a great follow up! Here’s to more sci-fi/fantasy/action-adventure shows!

Last edited:

ekko20six

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
I'm enjoying TV+ for what it is but where are you getting your coffee that it’s more then $5? A large/Venti at Starbucks in Canada is $3.
Umm Australia. Which makes it worse with the exchange rate and add soy at 50c a pop I’m routinely paying 5.50-6 for a coffee

Reactions: slamuelrock

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
We just unsubscribed. The slow drip of new shows has the tap turned off at this rate.

Why did you subscribe? Apple is giving a year free with purchase of a new device. I just started myself and am enjoying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why did you subscribe? Apple is giving a year free with purchase of a new device. I just started myself and am enjoying it.

More of the reason I’m looking forward to such a film because it may shine more positive light that blacks are worth more than such a blind general view as that above due to lack of understanding. My opinion and living life experience with many family members as Americans.

Thank goodness!

Hell yeah. I’ll be starting my trial with this and looking forward to “See” as well

People have the choice to watch it or not, however they feel..... ;)

Just like people have a choice to learn about other cultures, languages, various world history, or anything else life has to offer. Choice is great especially if we choose to take it as individuals. I could learn a thing or two with your post above. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AngerDanger

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t include the iTunes movie catalog in its offer? I would switch in a heartbeat. Why go the route of making own content...

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t include the iTunes movie catalog in its offer? I would switch in a heartbeat. Why go the route of making own content...
Apple likes to control the experience and the best way to control the viewing experience is to also control the content. Besides, it’s actually easier to negotiate new projects and pay for them than it is to negotiate with the studios in bundling old content together. The international rights and constant contract expirations just aren’t worth it for Apple. Even the streaming competition is backing away from that. Let the cable channels deal with it.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I'm enjoying TV+ for what it is but where are you getting your coffee that it’s more then $5? A large/Venti at Starbucks in Canada is $3.

Who the **** orders a regular coffee at Starbucks? A normal venti drink at Starbucks is $5 dollars in Canada.

Reactions: ronntaylor

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Apple doesn’t own the iTunes movie catalog.

They could license some existing content in the future, though I haven’t seen any indication that they currently have plans to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.