Apple remains #1 global smartphone leader; Samsung overtakes Nokia for cellphone lead

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by *LTD*, Apr 27, 2012.

1. *LTD*, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

The interesting takeaway from this has nothing to do with Apple or Samsung.

It's this:

"Meanwhile, Nokia has placed all its smartphone eggs into one basket: Windows Phone. To make Nokia’s Windows phone strategy pay off, Nokia must convince the leading carriers to visibly back Windows Phone as well as convince consumers of a valuable and differentiated experience."

While Apple and Samsung are fighting it out, even MS/Nokia's best marketing efforts (which aint saying much) to date have resulted in little traction for WP7. And it's been *well over a year* that WP7 has been on the market.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As much as you hate MS, WP7 is a damn good smartphone OS.

3. smoledman macrumors 68000

Yes it is, I'm rocking my Lumia 900 right now. Much to the chagrin of some. :D

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I switched to the 900 from the iPhone. The marketplace is missing a few apps, but most of the ones they have are decent - not as much crap as the android marketplace.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Agreed. I'm looking forward to buying my Lumia in a few months time.

6. smoledman macrumors 68000

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm also tempted for the Lumina 900, but one thing that is holding me back (well a few things) is the risk of not being able to upgrade to WP8. There were some stories out a little while ago, reporting that some WP7 phone won't get upgraded. Until I hear whether the latest and greatest WP7 phone is capable I want to hold off.

8. smoledman macrumors 68000

#1 - WP7.x devices will get updated. I assume MSFT developers are implementing the same new hardware-agnostic features on both 7.x and 8 branches.

#2 - Apollo is as much about supporting better hardware like multi-core processor, high-definition display, NFC.

So don't hold yourself back.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Until MS states explicitly what will or will not be upgraded, I'm not going to take a chance. On the android side, we saw similar assumptions on fairly new phones but the vendor decided not to upgrade. Samsung was guilty of this and HTC, though I think HTC may have reversed itself with ICS on some of the existing phones.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is a lot of evidence pointing to the upgrade, but you're right, MS has not confirmed anything.

11. smoledman macrumors 68000

Affirmative, Microsoft will announce their Windows Phone plans in a few weeks time.