Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a headless 2012 Mac mini running osx server. I have this setup for years and access it through Apple remote access via a iMac, MacBook Pro and a Mac mini at work. Everything is running the latest version of High Sierra. Over the last few weeks apple remote access has been unusable. Clicks are rather no registering or the delay is 20 seconds or so. If I connect with team viewer or chrome Remote desktop everything is fine. Anyone else having this problem or have a solution?

GoodHealthIT

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2017
Adelaide
Everything is running the latest version of High Sierra.

Is there a chance that you upgraded Server as well? If so, then I suspect that this may be the issue, although I can't really help you with the 'why'.

All I know is that when I updated my demo server to 5.6 all of the services that were running (OD, Mail, Web, Wiki, VPN) all disappeared from the Sidebar even though Apple claimed that existing installations would not be impacted. I'm now searching for a way to block the 5.6 update from the App Store less someone accidentally clicks on 'update'. The normal right-click 'Hide' option doesn't seem to work.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
I have a headless 2012 Mac mini running osx server. I have this setup for years and access it through Apple remote access via a iMac, MacBook Pro and a Mac mini at work. Everything is running the latest version of High Sierra. Over the last few weeks apple remote access has been unusable. Clicks are rather no registering or the delay is 20 seconds or so. If I connect with team viewer or chrome Remote desktop everything is fine. Anyone else having this problem or have a solution?

Try plugging monitor into the Mac and then trying the VNC connection.

A known issue when running a Mac Mini as headless is that the graphics card goes to sleep and switches to discrete graphics, this could be partly to blame?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Try plugging monitor into the Mac and then trying the VNC connection.

A known issue when running a Mac Mini as headless is that the graphics card goes to sleep and switches to discrete graphics, this could be partly to blame?
Thanks for the tip. I do have a display emulator plugged into the hdmi port. I noticed this behavior after I applied the latest system update to apple remote access. I also have a 2009 mac mini ate work and noticed the same behavior after the update. That mini has a monitor attached but we often access it for remote locations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.