Apple remote and MacPro…

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleWorking, Mar 6, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Is there any way to get an apple remote to work with a new MacPro? Thanks

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You would need to buy an IR reciever and some software like IOSpirit: Remote Buddy, or Twisted Melon: Mira. I have both and prefer Remote Buddy, along with the Manta receiver from Twisted Melon.

Also if you have an Elgato EyeTV usb tv tuner most of those have an IR receiver inbuilt and work with Remote Buddy, to allow you to use other remote controls to work.

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I had no idea, but found this in just a few minutes on Google:

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/

Of course, I have no idea how well it works.

Edit: I see Dark Dragon beat me to it.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

like has been said, not a stock option, but you can do it, and many people have.

5. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Exactly what i use.

6. aibo macrumors 6502

Remote Buddy is the best software. I use it with a Philips eHome 2005 receiver and an Apple remote.

7. Xer0dIn macrumors member

Does the new LED screen not have an ir receiver? I know it has iSight camera that uses USB.

8. ben1969 macrumors member

Use iPhone/iTouch w/Remote app

Not sure what the OP's use is, but I have an iPhone and the Apple Remote app will control iTunes reasonably well (but not as aesthetically pleasing as using Front Row). I think Remote app works with the iPod Touch as well.

9. byrgenar macrumors newbie

Bluetooth

Remote Buddy>PS3 remote>Plex and all is good with the world.

10. gzfelix macrumors member

11. leechlife macrumors member

Why would you want to.

I rather go for 2 options: Either use iphone and remote with it or my prefered option is to get an bluetooth apple keyboard, which works perfectly as remote and does much more than that, I had an iMac for 2 years, before I bought the mac pro, had some macbook pros as well in between and still have one.

Since I owen the wireless apple keyboard i neven ever touched the remote control anymore. First of all, it did not work reliable all the time - second, it is way to primitive.

cheers

12. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I've found the Apple remote to be small, convenient and reliable.

I have both an iPhone and Bluetooth Apple keyboards and find neither to be as convenient for doing things like quickly changing the volume or using Plex. As I can just grab the remote and use it without having to look at it.

13. byrgenar macrumors newbie

I agree about keyboards, too big really. But the apple remote dosnt have enough buttons (12 states, 6 buttons) and you need a reciever+a free USB socket. The PS3 remote is the only extra bit of hardware you need and all buttons are configurable through remote buddy (+ no line of sight needed).

Regards