apple remote control netflix on late 2013 iMac with Mira & Mantra?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RickRack, Feb 7, 2014.

1. RickRack macrumors newbie

I guess my expensive new 27" iMac does not work with the apple remote as it has no IR blaster. Right?

I just want to control Netflix on my iMac. I would get an Apple TV and hook it up to my TV but my TV is an old SD making my iMac a much better monitor.

So is anyone using Mira software and a Mantra USB IR adapter to use the Apple Remote on the 2013 iMac? I would like to know that it works before I spend the cash. The apple remote is the small white plastic one.

TIA!

2. analog guy macrumors 6502

i used to use the Mira/Mantra combo to control my 2008 Mac Pro. I still have it. i could test it for you if you have a few days as i have a 2013 iMac here.

i'll need to think about whether i want to use it in the future--could maybe make you an attractive deal (provided it works).

3. haddy macrumors regular

Yes using the silver remote to control VLC.
    Mira version 1.4.9b8 works with OS 10.9.1 Late 2012 27"iMac.
    Works okay.

4. RickRack thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't get me wrong... I absolutely love my iMac... the1TB SSD makes it what I always wanted a computer to be. But it does peeve me that Apple has been making remotes to work with it's computers for quite awhile and I don't really get why they would suddenly make a fantastic computer and then hobble it slightly by taking away an inexpensive but desirable convenience like a remote.

Oh well...

analog guy:
    That would be super if you would be so kind as to test the Mira/Mantra setup. While it isn't that expensive to buy at $30, I hate to just throw more money away. I am already out over $10 bucks for the remote. All I want to do really is play/pause/stop Netflix when I have it coming through Safari.

haddy:
    Nice to know that it works with the Alum. remote. I have the little plastic one but I am hoping it won't make a difference.

Thanks for the replies.