Apple Remote Desktop!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Jeremy gave us a heads up:

Apple Remote Desktop from Apple.

Apple Remote Desktop with real-time screen sharing is the ideal desktop management solution for education, businesses, and professionals on the go. It gives you the power to manage Mac systems from anywhere on your network or remotely across the Internet. It can reduce administrative costs and enhance productivity in any environment.

Basically provides remote access to your Mac... similar to Timbuktu.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
ya isnt this like too similar to timbuktu? like so similar they might sue apple? it seems like apple is stepping on some peep's toes here

ebound

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2001
EGV, IL
Originally posted by Choppaface
ya isnt this like too similar to timbuktu? like so similar they might sue apple? it seems like apple is stepping on some peep's toes here
If anything, dude, it's a brand-new version of Apple's Network Assistant, which came out before Timbuktu did, I think. But it's more NA than Timbuktu, for sure.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I have been waiting for an update to ANA for a looooooong time...OK since September, but still! This has been one of the key factors preventing our lab from moving to OS X. I run ANA on our G3s running 9 and it's a godsend. ADR looks like it's even more powerful, easier to use, and best of all...OS X native!

If you can't tell, I'm really happy that this is out. :D :D :D

pixelpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Way Cool!

:) If Classrooms impliment this technologies it willl help Apple win over schools looking into PC's. Great teaching capabilities with the screen control over the sytstem through TCP/IP or Airport will be a breeeze. As long as that Airport stays working after the warrenty is up. Known issue? Lucent bad job.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Well, timbuktu makes the computer slower when you watch some other desck top, may be this soft is a bit faster.

I do not know, I just want to increase my posts.:eek:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by mymemory
Well, timbuktu makes the computer slower when you watch some other desck top, may be this soft is a bit faster.

I do not know, I just want to increase my posts.:eek:
ADR has a new feature that lets you watch in B&W and windowed, to make things smoother. You can also monitor 4 screens at once. I did a lot of research at Apple's site, so feel free to ask questions.
That way I can boost my post count too! :eek:

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
MacAdministrator

I've set up and administered a school's OS 9 network running MacAdministrator, which is an unwieldy, un-mac-like approach to running a network of multiple users etc but duplicates much of the functionality of this new software.

But - the key thing for schools is missing!

Kids use a different computer for their work every time they log in, so they need to log in with a password that mounts their personal folder from the server onto a host machine - it doesn't look like this new Apple software includes that function and therefore won't be of much use to many schools in the key area of separating out users' work...

...unless that's what the 'digital locker' will do.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: MacAdministrator

Originally posted by Dunepilot
I've set up and administered a school's OS 9 network running MacAdministrator, which is an unwieldy, un-mac-like approach to running a network of multiple users etc but duplicates much of the functionality of this new software.

Kids use a different computer for their work every time they log in, so they need to log in with a password that mounts their personal folder from the server onto a host machine - it doesn't look like this new Apple software includes that function and therefore won't be of much use to many schools in the key area of separating out users' work...

Check out NetBoot. It allows people to run programs, work on files from workstations enabled to access the NetBoot server.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
DOGGONE IT!

Rats! I was all hot to post this (since it was announced only about an hour ago!)

This is GREAT news for Educational institutions! Horay! I was just yelling at our Apple rep TODAY about how I'm sick of waiting for "Network Assistant" for OS X.

And this controls machines down to OS 8.1! Good work, Apple! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Re: MacAdministrator

Originally posted by Dunepilot

This software really isn't about doing that...it's the answer for what used to be called Network Assistant from Apple. Except it's for OS X.

You're talking about something similar to Macintosh Manager. Check that out for what you're doing with MacAdministrator.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
The thing I'm really looking forward to is the hard disk cloning ability. What we've had to do in the past was create a folder on our network and boot up with a Zip or CD with Chooser, etc and drag it on from each machine. Since we don't have Ghost for the Mac, this will be a great time saver!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Can I run it and Pooch concurrently?

Originally posted by mischief
Can you say: "massive diffused array"?:D
Good point. But it does not seem set up for maximum bandwidth, just occasional FTP calls.

And if via modem, cable and staellite, why not airport and irda too?

The distributed computing clients that have worked to date have sent and received small amounts of data that require heavy COMPUTING to achieve. As soon as you make it an xmit intensive task the system breaks down and clogs.

Rocketman.

BubbaTAC

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
How is this different from VNC

How is this different from VNC?
I'm just wondering...how are ADR and Timbuktu different from VNC
it almost seems like VNC is better, you can set up the server and view from any computer, mac, linux, pc...anything...VNC even has a java based viewer built into a webserver so you can check it without downloading anysowftware...I'm sure ADR and Timbuktu must be better if they make you pay...but could someone tell Me?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: How is this different from VNC

Originally posted by BubbaTAC
How is this different from VNC?
I'm just wondering...how are ADR and Timbuktu different from VNC
it almost seems like VNC is better, you can set up the server and view from any computer, mac, linux, pc...anything...VNC even has a java based viewer built into a webserver so you can check it without downloading anysowftware...I'm sure ADR and Timbuktu must be better if they make you pay...but could someone tell Me?
ARD is for viewing and administration of multiple machines, not remote access to your personal desktop, although it can be used that way.

ARD lets you create lists of machines, up to 20 lists of 250 machines, so you can access up to 5000 machines to view what a user is doing, share the computer with them, take over the machine, or distribute new software to them. VNC is exactly the opposite, it allows you to access the one machine from anywhere else.

Does that help?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by irmongoose
A more powerful, easy-to-use, mac-like version of Timbuktu.

Sounds great! :) :)

irmongoose
Yep yep, but the question is, will it be less sluggish than Timbuktu. I have to hope that since Apple wrote the OS, everything works together quickly. My previous experience with Timbuktu was that it was very powerful, but even on our high-end equipment, it was a hassle...

pnw

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
timbuyktu

yea.... i agree...

timbuktu is a lot less reliable than network assitant has ever been. yea... and network assistant has been around for ages.... even back in the daisy chain days :D . so apple came up with the idea years ago. in addition, network assistant is much more reliavble with more than a few users vs. timbuktu - timbuktu is more single user oriented....

anyways, jus my two cents

-firewire