Apple removed "Enable 3g" for ATT users... can we restore w/ UK 5.1 firmware instead?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I remember back the the days being able to:
    1) download a specific iOS firmware from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
    2) plug your iPhone into your computer
    3) press 'Shift' when you click on the iTunes restore button
    4) then you would be able to pick the firmware that was on your computer you wanted to restore with.

Can an ATT user download the UK version of iOS 5.1 (with the "enable 3G" toggle) and then do this same trick??? :confused:

PS... **** off Apple/Att :mad:

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don;t think so. before flashing the update iTines actually checks the version of your phone with the version of the firmware update. I would think, AT BEST, it would have to be a hacked ATT firmware.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no UK firmware file.
    They're all the same ipsw.
    What you have in mind is the carrier file bundle .ipcc file.
    And no, you wont be able to do use that to enable that feature on your AT&T 4S.

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

The 3G toggle is a carrier thing. Vodafone now allow you to change it in 5.1, whereas T-Mobile and 3 (Obviously) don't.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I have that option on my iP4, 4S users dont have that option

6. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

Non-Att 4S users DO have the option to disable 3G on 5.1 (it was already included in the 5.1 beta's for a long time now).

It's just that Apple disabled it for Att 4S users for some stupid reason and we're trying to figure out how to get it like the UK 4S users do...

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Thanks, sometimes I forget!

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Carriers have been able to disable this setting using the Carrier Settings file since the iPhone launched.

My Carrier (Three) doesn't have a 2G network, so they disable it to prevent me roaming on their 2G partner network (Orange) when I don't need to.

I'd imagine that AT&T has chosen to disable it as well - no idea why though. It might be that they want to avoid confusion with the new "4G" identifier.

They can't really offer a 3G toggle and a "4G" toggle, because both are using UMTS networks - which is all the toggle disables.