Apple removes all VPN apps off of Chinese app store

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Bravo Tim Cook, where is all of your BS liberal political agenda now? Or is that only reserved for the outrage within the US? How about taking a stand and telling China they can either allow their people access to the proper Internet with Apple's phones, or they can find different devices to be jailed with. What a pathetic excuse for a leader.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/apple-removes-vpn-apps-from-china-app-store/

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's BS. I would channel "The Mooch" and tell them they could stick it where the sun don't shine, only in much more colorful language than I can say here.

3. X--X macrumors 6502

4. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If this is the line Apple holds then they can't be trusted.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

IF Apple want to do business in the worlds largest economy,the company will have to follow Chinese law.
    Chinese companies doing business in other countries also normally follow the laws in the country where they do business. As most of apples products are manufactured by Chinese companies in China or Korea,Apple cannot just leave the country like google did. When will the American community learn,that most of the "American" industrial products are made in foreign countries or by foreign owners in American production units?
    The only true American product,that's designed and produced in USA by American workers in an American company with no abroad owners,is probably the Colt SAA,so,either you guys have to follow the laws in the countries where you want to do business,or you will stay with your 150 years old technology.

6. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

A for profit company wants to have a foothold in the second largest economy? I'm shocked...

7. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Lol...please don't be shocked,it's completely normal.

8. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68020

Alexander.Of.Oz

The way Snowden's talking you'd think that Apple had worked hand in hand with some sort of Chinese government run internet censorship algorithms or something. All they did was remove some VPN apps from their app-store. This was in the news last week.

9. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You act like China has been the one making innovative breakthroughs over the last 150 years, they haven't. They've basically been stealing IP while companies use their cheap labor and slack human rights laws. I think this is going to change rather quickly, but there's no reason that this technology can't be assembled somewhere else.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2017 ---
    Removing VPN apps is essentially working hand in hand with China to censor the internet. Chinese people cannot access the real internet.

10. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Snowden is sometimes really lame. Apple just removed VPN apps in the App Store to follow local law.
    Just like us Westerners can't find any bittorrent apps in the iOS or macOS App Store. Local law.

11. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68020

Alexander.Of.Oz

Simple to overcome really, just jailbreak your iPhone and get an alternate VPN app from the more underground Chinese sites. Not that the common person in China could even remotely afford an iPhone. Those that can afford it probably believe they need their interwebz to be monitored/safeguarded from the West and have probably never even heard about the Tiananmen Square event. o_O

12. X--X macrumors 6502

This is condescending and disgusting on so many levels. Just gross.

I hope you're still a teenager.

13. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I assume you haven't been in China? There is an tremendous middle class coming up and having an iPhone is a status symbol.

You're making it sound like CNN, Instagram and Youtube is "the real internet". I haven't met a single person over there that actually cared about those sites. They only care about Weibo, WeChat, Baidu, Youku etc.

14. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68020

Alexander.Of.Oz

I'm just repeating what the Chinese students here have shared with me about their economic situations. I trust what they have shared with me about their lives.
    Not quite what I've been told by the Chinese students here in Australia. They have mentioned that is a Western media spin of things and not the actual reality there.

15. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are playing down the ramifications of censoring what a populace has access to. I work with plenty of Chinese immigrants, they are fully aware of what their government is doing and are not happy about it.

16. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Of course they will think about it more after they immigrate to a western country? Still, everyone within China I have met, don't care about it.
    Western sites in general are not sought after because they're not in Chinese, and anti-government political sites are not sought after because you don't really care much about politics if you grow up in a country with one party.

17. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think you are oversimplifying here by quite a margin. This isn't about accessing Western sites it's about accessing dissenting opinions about their own government.

The majority of my colleagues are Chinese and they care about politics, they probably aren't willing to go to jail or die over it though while in China.

18. nicho macrumors 68020

Spin goes two ways. It's absolutely my experience since I moved here; 12 and 13 year olds only care about iphones and ipads when it comes to technology. Apart from those whose parents can't afford it because they moved to another country and tell them "it's just media spin", of course.

19. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

It's called obeying local laws. The decision is quite simple. Either Apple stops doing business in China altogether or it obeys the laws.

For those praising Google for leaving China, let's not forget that it's not like it was any skin off Google's nose in the first place. Google wasn't competing very well against the likes of Baidu. It's not like exiting China made a big difference to Google. A chance to get some brownie points in the media was only icing on the cake.

If you want to deride Apple for its business practices, do so-but please don't make Google out to be some benevolent corporate while Apple is the big, bad, greedy company. Privacy concerns have plagued Google for a long time. Its then-CEO Eric Schmidt was interview about this. His response was that if there was something that people didn't want others knowing about, it's probably something they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Before the Snowden leaks revealed NSA's surveillance activities, companies like Google and Facebook were helping behind the scenes. I don't begrudge them for it. They were only obeying local laws.

20. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

I do not understand why people are freaking out. App store and google play both remove apps according to local law. For example, I work in Qatar. In the Qatar app store they don't have dating apps like tinder on their app store.

21. Tech198 macrumors G5

No one thinks Apple doesn't have their own policies as well? Its not only just about local law, but "in addition to" local law.

22. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68020

Alexander.Of.Oz

Umm, these are Chinese university students staying here on working Visa's, they are not permanent residents of Australia. I trust what they are saying.

23. nicho macrumors 68020

There is a younger generation coming up behind them, and trust me - all they know is iPad and iPhone.

24. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Why didn't this story make the front page of MacRumors? It made the front page of every other Mac webpage but not MacRumors?!?
    Isn't what Apple is doing classed as aiding and abetting a communist state? Is that not un-American?
    I think you mean repressed communist dictatorship which tries to pacify the population through oppression and restricting access to information freely available elsewhere, and a communist state that has the largest capitalist company in the world doing its dirty work. China is a commie country. Communist to the core. Communism = bad.

25. nicho macrumors 68020

I may be wrong, but I think the editorial team only work Monday to Friday. There's very rarely anything posted on a weekend.