Apple removes mentions of photos for OS X from apple.com

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appleguy123, Jan 27, 2015.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, this happened weeks ago. Not a good sign.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They need more time, I get it. I think they know people are going to get fed up about it and look elsewhere.

I throw my photos in a folder in Transmit, then zip them, then send it to iCloud Drive. It works fine for now, and I can do that with the majority of files I work with on the iPad. When it's only one thing, I made a Workflow that lets me grab it and put it whereever too.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Worries me but they have to get it right and with all the QC issues they have to get it right.

5. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I was secretly hoping the iPhoto -> Photos update would come with 10.10.2. But since Early 2015 means April now, it's clearly not coming anytime soon. :confused: I don't even have iPhoto installed anymore, it's seriously outdated imho and I manage all my Photos on iOS only for the time being.
    It better be good when it comes at last!

6. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

I'm really happy with the way Aperture manages my photos & videos atm, in excess of 75,000 files.

This is something Apple really have to get right, I have massive reservations about transistioning my precious memories to an unproven platform. If they get it right then great, I'll move but not after at least a good couple of months testing.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I really wish they'd of continued development with Aperture. I switched from Lightroom to Aperture many years ago and it was a breath of fresh air. I loved the Loupe tool, and the way Aperture saved libraries verses Lightrooms crappy way with the XMP Sidecar and all that crap.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not a good sign indeed, but I've given up on relying apple's software for my DAM, i.e., I've already switched to Lightroom.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I take it that you don't like the "connect to a Mac and download photos" option?

10. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Hmm, worrying. It's starting to make me wonder again (after the iPhone 6 made me regain some faith) whether Apple has simply forgotten how to code. It remains the nicest experience IMO between the clutter of Windows and the 1990s experience of Linux, but just keeps on standing still. They've got a really good icon and UI designer, in my view (though taste in their flat UI design is subjective), but where are the coders?

Aside from the Photos vapourware, a big part of regaining the faith I had in them to continue innovating was Continuity, and my experience of that so far has been patchy at best with most instances of Handoff being "right, is my phone's current web page going to pop up? .... ..... oh forget it, I'll use iCloud Tabs instead". Everything they do at the moment feels like a half-finished pre-release - in fact due to the mess with iCloud Drive (in Beta forever!) and Photos I would say the early technical preview of Windows 10 is more complete than Yosemite is almost 4 months in. That's just embarrassing.

Well, for uploading photos to the cloud, I'll continue to use Dropbox like I was doing on Android. It's just a pain that in iOS you have to remember to open the Dropbox app since it's not allowed to run in the background. I didn't really trust iCloud Drive much anyway after it lowered the resolution on some of my photos for no apparent reason (it's typical Apple "It Just about half Works" fare at the moment)

11. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Huh? Both LR and Aperture store adjustment info in databases, and both can write metadata to the photo files themselves. And I believe both do XMP sidecars for RAWs (and I guess optionally other formats) since the whole point of both is to be non-destructive to images. But maybe it was the "crappy...all that crap" you didn't like. And it is too bad they axed it without something shipping in its place.

12. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

I'm not worried YET. I'm still very happy with Aperture, so Apple is really going to have to wow me to move to Photos from Aperture.

13. jweinraub macrumors 6502

jweinraub

I just wish there was an easy way to access the iPhoto library from any other program (e.g., attaching to an email without actually going into iPhoto itself)

14. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I have a Photo Browser button in Mail's Toolbar which allows me to do that.

15. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The integration that you are describing is one of many great features of iPhoto and Aperture.

I would expect that to follow forward into Photos as well.

/Jim

16. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Maybe he's using another email client. Not all programs can access iPhoto or Aperture libraries, although a third party framework (imedia browser) enables that for those libraries AND for Lightroom as well. At least directly in the program, like say Pages does.

But in most, if not all, programs you open a dialog box (using say "open..." or "insert..." or other menu commands) a "Media" icon shows up in the sidebar and you can use that to access Aperture and iPhoto libraries. But not Lightroom. You can also just create a really simply automator action to bring up that same little browser outside of a dialog box and then just drag the image into your application or whatever.