Apple replaced Logic Board/Display with item number parts I can't find anywhere??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ellabaker, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Ellabaker macrumors newbie

I've basically had my entire MBP replaced (this is the third time its gone in for repair on multiple parts).

The last set of repairs, on my Apple Care service they replaced

Glossy Display ( Item Number: 661-5215)
    Logic Board (Item Number : 661-5213)

To (as seen in my "repair summary")

Glossy Display (Item Number 605-2034)
    Display Assembly Glossy (Item number 605-2036)

I'm wondering if this means they replaced it with refurbished parts? How can I find out? I've lost a lot of faith here in Apple since they've already botched 2 repairs on me so I'm trying to do some due diligence.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ask for a replacement computer… Don't settle for anything less.

3. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

They are free to use whatever parts they want to replace faulty parts. It's what you agreed to when you purchased apple care and or a Mac...

4. Ellabaker thread starter macrumors newbie

My warranty is already donezo - so I don't think I can ask for a replacement and beyond that who's to say I won't get a computer that's worse off then the one I already have.

And yes, I'll keep my thoughts to myself about Apple replacing the parts I paid for as new to refurbished items :)

But I'm only assuming that the different item numbers means they are refurbished parts. There's no confirmation and apple support hasn't been particularly useful. Is there any other way to confirm what I'm assuming? Otherwise for all I know, they could be sub-par parts because they didn't have the actual replacement items.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't think they are refurb parts, it costs more to refurb a Logic Board and Display than new ones, I just don't believe.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. Ellabaker thread starter macrumors newbie

The quest still remains as to what exactly these parts are.

Used/refurbished/alien species from another planet?! :eek:

It's just good to know whats in one's computer esp if it starts dying on me.
    I'm also now wondering if it might affect compatibility if I choose to upgrade RAM.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That's probably the reason there is no refurb store where I am originally from, a manufacturer can only use new parts, not used parts, to repair anything, but there are exceptions, like if you provide the parts yourself or if there are no new parts and you agree with used parts.

They can not however use any used parts for any products which are in their warranty period.

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Looks like the part number was updated. The second set you posted, the previous ones you saw, show as no parts found when I search on Apple's service site. The first set show results consistent with our descriptions but there is no indication if they're new or refurbished.

At a quick glance, I can't find a part list.

Justperry, you REALLY believe it's cheaper to build an entire new logic board than it is to replace a single bad chip to refurb a bad one?

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

It often is, but there are many variables. There is a trade off. The new eco friendly solder is very difficult to work with and needs extremely high temperatures (these are not soldering guns :) ). There is labor cost of highly trained and skilled technicians. So first you have to be sure its a chip problem, not a bad board. A good 30-40% of the boards are damaged extracting the old part, of those left about 30% of the new chips don't get soldered on properly, or something else is damaged. So, does it make sense to spend money attempting the repair where 50% of the time you fail.. you need to replace the board and are out the labor and chip cost.

So it often makes economic sense to just replace a board.... or the entire laptop.

Sometimes re-heating the board will fix a bad solder issue (look at all those video cards that are fixed by heating them in a oven). But its a trade off. Our plant has a bone yard of built cards that fail acceptance tests, it costs more to repair them on the average than to build a new one.