Apple replaced my accident damaged iPhone 4 for free! (Out of warranty)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MR.305, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MR.305 macrumors newbie

So I dropped my iPhone 4 32gb black. It was early December and I was pretty drunk at a work night out. The screen smashed quite badly but was usable. I did nothing about this until last week when I was at a genius bar at the Manchester Trafford centre store. The guy said that it wouldn't be covered under warranty and I would need to pay £139.00. Fair enough but they couldn't do it there and then as they were running late and the shop was closing. I wasn't happy. I just left.

I booked an appointment yesterday at the Manchester Arndale centre, with the intention of paying for an out of warranty service and getting a new phone. The guy checked my warranty ran out our days ago. But he decided even though it was accidental damage through carelessness and intoxication he would replace it with a new one for free anyway. Freaking Sweet! I was in store for about 13mins and walked out with my new phone! Cheers Apple!!!!!

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Apples customer service is pretty amazing. Glad I use the iPhone over a random android phone for this very reason. Sometimes you have to get lucky though like you did with the genius. Its really up to them to decide your fate and he def went against company policy. Happy for you though I know how it feels :)

3. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Yeah, I went to a Genius bar because my home button wasn't working and the man there noticed the screen was pretty scratched up and offered to replace the screen as well. Great customer service, it's really one of the things that sets Apple apart.

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it was truly "company policy" not to do those things, I don't think any of those peoPle would actually do it. Not saying you are wrong, just my .02 cents

5. milamber macrumors regular

Stop pissing on his parade. Let the guy have his win.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's stated on Apple's website ... pretty sure it's company policy as far as we know (as customers). Maybe they have some internal policy that they don't mention so customers dont abuse it

7. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Not much to add here, just a story from a friend who recently experienced the same thing.

He was pushing his sister into the pool, and she grabbed him by the shirt and he went in with her. He was fully clothed and had everything his pockets including his only few month old iPhone 4.

The genius at the Apple store replaced it free of charge with very obvious signs of water damage. I think he even told them what happened, lol.

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

I don't think intoxication counts under the warranty, if you wanna get wasted then accept the consequences that may follow :p

but really that is awesome to get a free iPhone, I had mine replaced through rogers because the camera was messed up.

9. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Honesty goes a long way, I work in retail, and I can't stand people that lie to me. Don't tell me that the iPod came in the box with a cracked screen, it is a lie and I am not replacing it. However, tell me that you dropped it out of your car or something, be completely honest, and I might replace it. We have all been there, had a close call or actually broke something like that. Own up to your mistake, be willing to pay for it, and more often then not, you might get lucky. Apple is the perfect example of this, every time I have shown up at the Genius bar, I tell them the full truth, and they always help me out.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I always love hearing stories like this. It's nice to know that Big Brother can be compassionate sometimes. :)

11. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

It never hurts to ask the apple store guys, going in person should work out better then just calling.

12. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it was truly "company policy" not to do those things, I don't think any of those peoPle would actually do it. Not saying you are wrong, just my .02 cents

13. elfy macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've had something similar happen before with my iMac. The screen was gone and needed replaced and it was a few days out of warranty. The guy said he would just put it through for me anyway. Got it back and checked the paperwork, they had replaced the motherboard as well. £700 worth of repairs for nothing.

14. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Lucky for you!
    It seems that I have to beg a grovel for them to do anything for me at my Apple Store. But maybe that's because I'm a teenager still. Still, it pisses me off.