Apple replaced my Penryn MBP's keyboard/trackpad with a Santa Rosa (lost multi-touch)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RHMMMM, Oct 14, 2008.

1. RHMMMM macrumors member

So get this...my 15" Penryn MBP's keyboard and trackpad stopped working a week and a half ago, so I took it to the Apple Store to have it fixed. They call me up on this past Saturday to say it's done and to come pick it up. I get there, they show it to me, everything looks OK. They ended up replacing the logic board and keyboard/trackpad panel.

I get it back home and actually start using it and try right click with the double-finger tap and tried to do the 3-finger swipe in Safari back and forth...they don't work. So I looked in the System Prefs pane for the mouse and the options for multi-touch weren't there like they usually were...WTF. I figured since they replaced so many things, maybe a driver got messed up or something. I have Time Machine back up everything to my USB drive connected to my Airport Extreme and it was up to date, so I figured I have never done a fresh OS install on this machine, maybe I'll just go ahead and do it now and the trackpad will work afterwards.

So I waste a couple hours and reformat the drive and reinstall Leopard. I get it set back up again and look in the System Preferences pane, still no multi-touch options. Then I realize, oh crap, the keyboard buttons for volume and stuff aren't in the same place...OMG, they replaced my keyboard with the wrong damn one!

So now I've been without the machine for a week, then I get it back and wasted 4 hours or so reinstalling everything to find this out.

OH, and I forgot to mention, a screw fell out of one of the air vents, so who knows what else is messed up. I'm going back tomorrow and going to talk to the Mgr. of the place - it was the Tysons Corner, VA store, btw.

Anybody else have a problem like this with a replacement?:mad:

2. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Whoa I had the exact same problem, though caused by a different issue. I had a ribbon cable switched (from keyboard to system board), but it must of been from a SR MBP. The top function keys were mapped wrong, no multitouch, and no trackpad use in XP. Got it fixed when they swapped the top enclosure.

3. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

That is such a pain. I had dropped my MBP off at the Apple store in Victor, NY for a logic board replacement and they didn't load the correct drive/software for it because my serial number would not display under "About this Mac" and my GPU died the next day again. I had to send the computer to Apple to fix it.

Is there any way to tell if I have the Penryn or SR chipset? I know I bought when SR just came out. I should have SR, but I want to check the off chance they gave me a new Penryn one.

Thanks!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

FYI:

Penryn = Processor
    Merom = Processor
    Santa Rosa = Chipset

Anyways the Merom uses 4MB of L2 cache and Penryn 3MB of L2 cache. You can see this in System Profiler.

BTW the Merom processor is a bit faster than the Penryn processor due to the extra cache.