Apple Replaces my Unibody 17"inch Glossy Screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vote4anh, May 22, 2009.

1. vote4anh macrumors newbie

I love and enjoy the new 17" unibody when I got it in February! :)

By far everything I want and more for what I do! :D

Last night when I went to close the lid, I heard a clicking sound at the end of the screen where the power button located.

I took a closer look to see if anything was blocking preventing it from closing properly, but nothing. The MBP looks fine and closes flush with no sign of dis alignment.

The clicking noise would click more and more when I open and close the lid! It seem to be the hinges.

Keep in mind my MBP has NEVER been dropped, always in a incase sleeve and inside North Face Surge backpack with a super cushioned compartment that I walk to and from my car, home, and work (at church) with not abuse.

Went to the Genius Bar today and they brought it back to the Tech and he give the OK for them to order me a NEW SCREEN! Since it's the Hinges and they can't just order the Hinges since it's attach to the screen!

I guess I'm getting a new screen! I should have told them to get me a Matted one :p

The Genius Bar person told me this is the 1st time she seen it with the UNIBODY and it usually happens to the MB with the plastic bodies.

I still have the MBP until they get the screen in and install in in house.

FYI! FOR ANYONE WITH THE UNIBODIES! They hinges are faulty...well just MIND! It may happen to you!

THANKS APPLE FOR TAKING CARE OF ME, BUT.............I'm a bit worried spending this much to have a FAULTY HINGE!

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info!

I noticed that you use a North Face Surge backpack. I use the same one! I have been wondering if I could fit a sleeve inside mine. I have a 15". I guess if you can fit your 17" then I should have no problem. It seems tight already though.

Hope everything works out for you!

-JC-

3. vote4anh thread starter macrumors newbie

JC, I have the older North Face Surge the 07/08 model, you can tell if the North Face label is stitch not a cheap iron on.

My 17inch didn't fit well with the newer Surge, but GREAT and PERFECT with the incase sleeve inside it's compartment!