Apple responds to Maps criticism...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 20, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

"Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service. We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better."

We'll see. But in the mean time, APPROVE GOOGLE MAPS!

Oh, and the source: http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/20/apple...the-more-people-use-it-the-better-it-will-get

2. txflyfish macrumors member

So we need to tough it out until it gets better?

3. rak007 macrumors 6502a

Approve Google Maps....yeah that's gotta happen.

4. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

They didn't say anything particular. Just a casual PR sheit. Screw them, looking forward for Google Maps. It turned out iOS 6 is considered as a definite downgrade. No YouTube, no Maps, WTF?

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

6. BuckDot macrumors member

I'll try not to let Mapple get me stuck in the ocean in the meantime.

7. rak007 macrumors 6502a

How do they expect people to use it when in the first place it is not usable ??

8. onthecouchagain, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Also, "We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration."

Innovative new features?

[cough]Google Earth/Maps and Navigation[/cough]

"We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation"

So it just works... eventually?

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

They should have never released it in that condition. Full stop.

Now stop dicking around and approve the Google maps app.

10. Doctorsti macrumors regular

I sent in a request or notification from the destination screen. It looks like there is a way to alert Apple to the fact that something is wrong, missing, etc... I can only hope if everyone bombards Apple they will address the issues quicker and allocate more resources to making it usable.

I read a quote in another thread and I find it really telling of this whole situation.

loosely quoted "apple, the most valuable company in the world using the weakest player in GPS navigation" why would they do such a thing? TomTom blows and is completely a has-been. Obviously they have to get map data from someone and Google is by far far far the best. I just hope with Apple at the head of this project the maps will be improved by version 6.1 and we are at least 75% of the way back to what we had let alone surpassing what Google provides.

Again in the meantime lets hope Google puts out an app and let them charge for it. I would pay.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

What does "it'll get better when more people use it" mean?

12. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Typical Apple "you're holding it wrong" response taking no responsibility for the horrible map app but instead makes excuses about it being a work in progress. BS Apple!

13. txflyfish macrumors member

It means the Aussies are outta luck - Siri

14. protobiont macrumors 6502a

It is what it is. The fact that they have made a statement about it this quickly is a good sign. Hopefully they will do everything possible to improve quickly.

15. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

Can you download from the app store ? :rolleyes:

16. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

17. txflyfish macrumors member

On a change of tone ....it has to happen. We don't want to be tied to google maps forever. Google maps is one of the their strongest services and to be honest will take apple many years to catch up. We are at version 1 / beta ...google is at version 6

18. Castle87 macrumors regular

I don't understand this. Didn't they test the maps before launch? Are the developers using some awesome, flawless app and we're getting something different? How did they not spot these very obvious flaws? I'm just not understanding this. They should have kept Google maps with the promise that within a few updates, we'll have a new map application. Come on Apple

19. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Used the new Maps and TBT Directions today to find a new restaurant. Worked perfectly. I like that it will run in the background while I check news and such (I wasn't the one driving)

the 3D is a little clunky, but they'll work it out, and it's not like that's really important in getting you where you are going.

20. txflyfish macrumors member

Is the maps iOS only or is there physical site as well?

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

For the life of me, I can not understand that statement.

I used it and it was wrong. How does anyone at Apple know it was wrong so they can fix it?

22. txflyfish macrumors member

They have frustration sensor. iSight tracks your facial expression, 3 mics to track you cussing.

They also track when and where they lose your iCloud signal --- usually signifying you drove into the ocean or off a cliff

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Apple's in a no win situation. If they don't approve Google maps they're damning their consumers. If they approve it no one will use ios maps until they make it much better.

24. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Google needs to release a stand alone maps app. Surprised they haven't yet

25. michelob tfs macrumors member

Apparently one has been submitted to App Store.

Doesn't mean Apple will approve it.