Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SluGuru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Does anyone know if Apple Retail will accept cash for the latest iPhone?

The last purchase I attempted to make at Apple retail with my debit card was denied even though I had more than enough in that account to cover it. I would hate to wait in line for hours and have to deal with the same thing.

Also, has anyone else had a debit card declined at the Apple Store even though the card worked elsewhere and had plenty of cash? Any tips on getting it to work properly? I've never had it declined anywhere else for any reason. I would rather use this if I could get it to work.

importraverxx

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Does anyone know if Apple Retail will accept cash for the latest iPhone?

The last purchase I attempted to make at Apple retail with my debit card was denied even though I had more than enough in that account to cover it. I would hate to wait in line for hours and have to deal with the same thing.

Also, has anyone else had a debit card declined at the Apple Store even though the card worked elsewhere and had plenty of cash? Any tips on getting it to work properly? I've never had it declined anywhere else for any reason. I would rather use this if I could get it to work.

Yes, it will be no problem. I paid for my Retina Macbook Pro in all cash before.. almost 2200.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
At the Apple Store I worked at, Navy Federal Credit Union debit cards would almost always decline for large ($500+) debit purchases. It was some sort of fraud prevention that Navy Federal does. Customers would have to call Navy Fed, talk to someone, and then it'd work a minute or two later.

Call your bank first and see if they have a policy like that, and what they can setup for you so you're not declined.

----------

Serious question? Of course they'll accept cash. That being said, I never understood people that only have 1 card.
FWIW, until a year or two ago, Apple would NOT accept cash for iPhone/iPad purchases.

Then this happened, and it changed the next iPhone launch:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7447037

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Yep paid cash for 2 x 4S's
iPhone 4 declined all my credit and debit cards. Quick phone to the bank whilst the advisor was serving someone else solved the issue! Literally 5 mins for the whole process.

Last edited:

SluGuru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Yes dude. Money is money.

That makes two people now in this thread. Not sure what the issue is here but Apple has restricted past iPhone and iPad to credit/debit only. If you have no knowledge of a topic stop cluttering up the board with your ignorance.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
That makes two people now in this thread. Not sure what the issue is here but Apple has restricted past iPhone and iPad to credit/debit only. If you have no knowledge of a topic stop cluttering up the board with your ignorance.

No need to be rude dude. You could just, you know ask the company that's selling the thing, instead of asking for speculation here.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

LOL. Okay... Why didn't you ask Apple first? I'm sure a quick 1800-Apple would answer the question so you don't have to wait for replies. Smart guy.

Try to appreciate responses you get ok? ****tard

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I've had some instances where on launch day, iPhones could not be paid with cash. No idea why. Loophole? Use your cash to buy Apple gift cards for the exact amount and use that as purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.