Apple Reveals 'Voice Control' Accessibility Feature Coming to Mac and iOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its macOS Catalina and iOS 13 unveiling today at WWDC, Apple announced a new accessibility feature called Voice Control, allowing users to control their Mac and iOS devices entirely using vocal commands.

Voice Control supports dictation and editing in both operating systems, along with comprehensive menu navigation.

On iOS, the feature utilizes attention awareness to know when a user with physical motor limitations is interacting with their device.

To allay privacy concerns, Apple says that none of the audio processed by Voice Control can be accessed by anyone else, including Apple, thanks to built-in anonymity and encryption.

Article Link: Apple Reveals 'Voice Control' Accessibility Feature Coming to Mac and iOS

CombatCaptured

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Canada
At the very least the [Accessibility Options Menu] needs to be 100 voice control, I’ve got a blind friend who “once and awhile” accidentally changes an Accessibility option and can’t change it back because it no long is working properly.

Recently changed the voice speed to max and couldn’t understand anything because it was speaking too fast, so couldn’t use voiceover to find the menu option to change it back... ‘hey Siri slow down voice over’ should be bare minimum!

StyxMaker

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Seriously, an accident in a blink of an eye can put anyone in a position where he/she needs this feature or any other accessibility feature. Glad that Apple is doing great for the unfortunate.
Being severely red/green color blind I often use the invert colors or black and white options with some apps and web sites.

Developers really need to stop using red letting on black backgrounds red/green color blind (the most common type) literally cannot read the words. Additionally they have the habit of putting really serious warnings in this color combination.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
I actually got a little misty eyed during this part of the presentation having had accessibility issues myself before. I know this will help so many people!

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Same here. I have cerebral palsy, and whilst I manage just fine most days, this could be a godsend on my bad days.
That's so awesome, I love seeing technology actually assist people who need a bit of help. It's actually quite exciting. I hope you find it to be very helpful when needed :)

Reactions: AdeFowler

Lushchicken

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Seriously, an accident in a blink of an eye can put anyone in a position where he/she needs this feature or any other accessibility feature. Glad that Apple is doing great for the unfortunate.
'The unfortunate'? You have got to be kidding me. You might want to rethink the way you think/talk about people with disabilities. Wow.

iDento

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
'The unfortunate'? You have got to be kidding me. You might want to rethink the way you think/talk about people with disabilities. Wow.
Actually, I was talking about accidents, one accident in a blink of an eye and UNfortunately you might need an accessibility feature in your life. I wasn’t intended to offend anyone especially people with disabilities. Phew.