Apple said keep your 5S longer then 2 years

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the8thark, Sep 11, 2013.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Apple said keep your 5S longer then 2 years

Well they didn't use those exact words, but the keynote was screaming this sentiment to me. The high price of the 5S plus all the new features and 64 bit makes me think the iPhone no longer as a 1-2 year product but a serious long term investment (like people think of a Mac now).

For me it's gotten to the point where I look at the 5S and the first thought I think of is how many years will it last me if I get it. The 5C on the other hand (price aside) feels like a replace every 1-2 year phone. But factor in the 5C price and I'm like wow. A replace every 1-2 years phone priced at the keep for a long time price point.

I don't know what you all think but that's how I feel about the 5S. And if I get one (that's a big if as I'm trying to make my iPhone 1 last as long as I can) I'll be using the 5S to it's death.

My only worry is that Apple will have the iOS updaters such that they treat the iPhone 5S as a 1-2 year phone when people will think of it as a keep for longer phone. Hence people might still want to use their 5S when the iOS updates for it stop coming. This worries me. I don't want to invest the very high price for a 5S and have Apple say in 2 years (sorry no more iOS updates for you). If I knew how many years iOS would support the 5S I'd be happier. But I;m not sure Apple can or will give out that kind of information.

2. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Pretty sure apple wants you to buy phones as often as possible.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

If you've made your iPhone 1 last over 6 years, I don't see any problem in you making an iPhone 5s last 3.

4. 22mac macrumors member

If I buy the 5s I will use it for at least 3 years to get off the s cycle. I think using it for 5 years might be pushing it a bit .

5. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

If Apple force this upon people at this price point, people might just move to Android/windows mobile/others. Or just be stubborn and jailbreak their no longer supported by Apple iPhone (like I have on my iPhone 1). All this results in less sales for Apple.

6. macbd macrumors regular

I have a feeling the 6 is "right around the corner" - like 6 to 9 months away.

7. 617aircav Suspended

The phone will last as long as the consumer wants to use it. Some still use the 4, some are still buying the 4. The phones never stop working just because they dont get the latest updates.

8. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

I get your point 100%. But I want to move into the "always having the latest iOS on my phone" idea. That's the plan. Not sure if Apple will allow this.

My money has to be divided up between iMac/iPad/iPhone upgrades. All take a long time for me to save up for. So trying to make each one last as long as possible is paramount for me.

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

It's the same price as many of the last iPhones; $199, $299, $399 on a two year contract. How is that saying keep it longer than 2 years?

As some said, Apple wants EVERYONE buying a new iPhone EVERY YEAR.

I do. ;)

10. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

yearly upgrades are a WANT not a NEED for the most part at this point, unless a new phone comes out that will cook you dinner and tuck you in at night lol, then maybe I need that :)

11. 617aircav Suspended

It's not.

12. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Correct but trying to get apps for unsupported iPhones is very tough. Have to enter the world of Jailbreaking to do it.

13. juswest macrumors regular

I don't see that many Apple users going to Android or Windows. Neither are trendy enough. As long as Apple has the trendy crowd on lock they are good for years.

14. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

I think you got your monies worth out of that iphone 1 lol, upgrade it and enjoy 2013 lol.

----------

I will say from what I have seen from quite a few people that buy iPhones is the lack of choice, by that i mean, theres an Iphone5s or 5c, then pick your storage space.

Most do not want to figure out which windows phone or android phone to get out of the 10000 of them. They just want a simple purchase experience.

That doesnt really apply to most people on here since we live and breath tech, but for the average joe, like my parents, sister and a bunch of people i know, they just want simple choices.

15. =w= macrumors 6502a

=w=

I'm just confused about what's so different about the price points for the 5S? Am I missing something? Aren't they the same as they are every year, even on S versions of the iPhone? Were they supposed to make them cheaper?

:confused:

The only thing that disappoints me about the price points is that the 32GB isn't starting at $199 with a jump to 64 and 128. If it doesn't come next year on the 6, I might seriously contemplate leaving Apple and i'd probably try Windows Phone, because I didn't like Android much when I used it on my Nexus 7.

16. juswest macrumors regular

Most certainly. With the Galaxy series gaining in popularity younger people in my age bracket(20 somethings and up) seem more open to switching. I had a couple trade in their iPhones for S4's and I was completely shocked. But with most the iPhone still has that status. Personally I won't buy another one until they make a larger screen. My Moto X is only slightly larger than the 5 and has a 4.7 inch screen and is very comfortable to hold.

17. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

At the moment if you add up all the different iPhone options on sale today there are 21 different iPhones to choose from (different type/colour/flash size options). Sure that's less than in the world of android. But 21 is still a lot to choose from.

18. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Take a look at the iPhone 4. It was originally released three years ago, yet it's still getting the iOS 7 update. That means by the time iOS 8 comes out next year the iPhone 4 would have been receiving updates to the latest and greatest version for four years (I doubt the 4 will get 8.0, but it will have gotten every 7.x update until then). Show me a single Android phone from three or four years ago that's still being updated.

I think you do have a point about 64-bit. I could see Apple cutting off updates to the 4S/5 and especially 5C before they hit the three year mark because they'll want to drop support for 32-bit.

19. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

And even if they are running an older OS - they can still make and receive calls, get emails and text messages and run browsers and a ton of apps.
    So isn't that what the phone is for? I'll bet there are millions of 3gs still running fine.
    If you want all the latest features and need to run the latest versions of all apps then you need the latest - otherwise stay with the old until it breaks or something you NEED can't run on it. I know bad for business attitude.

20. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

The 'S' stands for 'Stopgap'. Always has. I wouldn't worry.

21. krause734, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

The phone subsidy is a good deal if you're paying for data. $649 w/o a plan vs. $199 w/ data. Upgrade every 2 years when your contract ends and sell your old phone on craigslist or ebay. It more than pays for the $199 upgrade. There is no escaping the pricy data plans though.

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

That's stretching it. Apple offers three models: 4S, 5c, 5s. There are storage and color options in each, but you can't count those as fragmentation because they do not impact the capabilities of the device. Storage does, but it doesn't impact iOS or app support.

23. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Nothing Apple sells, not even the Mac is to be looked at as an investment.

I do not see where Apple is suggesting us not to buy a new phone or Mac every year.

24. In Utopia, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

In Utopia macrumors regular

Went to the AT&T store yesterday, they told me $199 for the 4S, and $99 for the 4C, and they'd give me a credit for my 4S.

25. AppleMrHan macrumors member

AppleMrHan

For me, iPhone is a great investment. I have, in fact, used my iPhone 4 for whole 3 years, and its going strong, and, even the battery is holding charge like a champ.

The iPhone does not cost extra, it costs the same 199$ with 2 year contract, like all other phones when they come out, like Samsung models.